Around the NHL - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Good "diversity"... CHI, WAS, PIT, BOS, NYR were always on a lot and still are. At least it's not "Rivalry" night anymore.

I understand Washington, as the Cup winners, to be near the top of the list, but what has Chicago done recently to be up there? It's the same with the f***ing outdoor games. Even their fans are tired of the outdoor games. How many Winter Classic/Stadium Series designs can you possibly have to sell jerseys to your fans?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I understand Washington, as the Cup winners, to be near the top of the list, but what has Chicago done recently to be up there? It's the same with the ****ing outdoor games. Even their fans are tired of the outdoor games. How many Winter Classic/Stadium Series designs can you possibly have to sell jerseys to your fans?

Chicago is still one of their biggest draws. They're still tilted towards the big markets, but it's good to see them diversifying the schedule. If the experiment works, I'm sure they'll balance it out further.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

MRW I look at the great contracts Poile keeps signing

giphy.gif

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Honestly I think it's very smart by Ottawa.

If an NCAA player plays 4 years in college they can become an ufa. Ottawa is a tire fire. If I'm them I'm not risking him walking.

I do the same thing if I'm them.

Everyone loves the NCAA...but still the vast majority of nhlers come via the chl.
Ottawa’s biggest job this year is getting Stone, Karlsson and Duchesne to sign extensions. This helps.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Honestly I think it's very smart by Ottawa.

If an NCAA player plays 4 years in college they can become an ufa. Ottawa is a tire fire. If I'm them I'm not risking him walking.

I do the same thing if I'm them.

Everyone loves the NCAA...but still the vast majority of nhlers come via the chl.
Ottawa’s biggest job this year is getting Stone, Karlsson and Duchesne to sign extensions. This helps.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Chicago is still one of their biggest draws. They're still tilted towards the big markets, but it's good to see them diversifying the schedule. If the experiment works, I'm sure they'll balance it out further.

Agreed.

The theoretical decision is to follow the money, or the potential money.

In Chicago's case, they're in the same boat the Rangers were in toward the late 90s. Even as the team sucked, the ratings were still there.

One thing to understand about the approach to picking teams, it's not just about the market they play in. It's also about the connections that other locations have to that market.

So when we look at New York, Boston, Chicago, and Philadelphia, you also have to factor in how many people outside those markets have a connection --- be it former residents, the team they grew up rooting for, grew up rooting against, etc.

Then you take into account where those populations move --- Florida, Vegas, Nashville, etc. and factor in the added bonus that there is competitive hockey in those markets.

It's not just names out of a hat.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I'm kinda surprised Buffalo isn't going to be shown more. They traditionally have one of, if not the, top markets in viewership. Plus a new #1 overall pick with Eichel I would think be a big draw - especially games against one of the other top markets.

Reactions: sabremike

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I'm kinda surprised Buffalo isn't going to be shown more. They traditionally have one of, if not the, top markets in viewership. Plus a new #1 overall pick with Eichel I would think be a big draw - especially games against one of the other top markets.
not all eyeballs are created equal. they have massive local numbers, especially share wise, but it's still not *that* many people compared to a potential nationwide audience. national advertisers aren't necessarily interested in 90% of views being from western new york for obvious reasons.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I think if the Sabres really do improve this year, they will be on more next year. Hard to justify giving air time to the team that finished in last place last year, which is the 3rd time in the last 5.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
I think if the Sabres really do improve this year, they will be on more next year. Hard to justify giving air time to the team that finished in last place last year, which is the 3rd time in the last 5.

Even if the Sabres improve, how many out-of-market people will want to tune in? They'd have to wind up extremely exciting and compelling for a casual hockey fan to attract the same number of viewers as a team in a serious DMA with far more in-market viewership, national name recognition, and fans living out of market.

Sabres could win the cup and a few months later more people would still rather watch Chicago on a Wednesday night.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Even if the Sabres improve, how many out-of-market people will want to tune in? They'd have to wind up extremely exciting and compelling for a casual hockey fan to attract the same number of viewers as a team in a serious DMA with far more in-market viewership, national name recognition, and fans living out of market.

Sabres could win the cup and a few months later more people would still rather watch Chicago on a Wednesday night.

This cuts both ways. One of the reasons they don’t have national name recognition because NBC never presents them nationally.

I agree that what you say is true about Chicago vs Buffalo. But years of neglect are more the problem than anything else. Buffalo has one of the best young centers in the game and now the most promising young D in the game. Had NBC done a better job promoting the Sabres when they were a top team in the East, going to two ECFs and winning the Presidents Trophy, they would draw more casual viewers now.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

You are badly underestimating the Western New York diaspora. I've seen games in Florida and Arizona that were basically Sabres home games. And as someone who has traveled when we are on the road we almost always have a strong contingent of fans in the building, particularly when we are not a disaster.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You are badly underestimating the Western New York diaspora. I've seen games in Florida and Arizona that were basically Sabres home games. And as someone who has traveled when we are on the road we almost always have a strong contingent of fans in the building, particularly when we are not a disaster.

Leafs vs Sabres is on the cusp of being a decade-long rivalry.

It will only take a year of that, and you guys will be one of the biggest television draws again. Anybody that says otherwise is just flat out wrong.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Leafs vs Sabres is on the cusp of being a decade-long rivalry.

It will only take a year of that, and you guys will be one of the biggest television draws again. Anybody that says otherwise is just flat out wrong.
I’m not a huge watcher of non-Ranger games, but I’d watch the eff outta that (and root for the Sabres).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad