OT: Around the NHL - Keep on truckin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Florida has played Detroit 5 times already. Everything is out of whack because this season is a joke.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I am interested in my HF Friends' opinion here. What are your thoughts on this season? It feels really dumb. The repeat stuff is bad. It feels like I'm watching multiple different leagues. I think it will lead to some ugly playoffs.

Don't get me wrong. I'm thankful. I'm happy. I'm content. But just discussing the hockey and leaving the outside stuff away, how do you all feel about it?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I get it. I understand it. I'm just saying as a fan of hockey and wanting to invest my time... i'd rather watch Hornqvist. And with POJ, I would argue we didn't really need Matheson. Time is a valuable thing in life. Watching some of these games makes me really question what I'm doing wasting a few hours on piss poor effort.

I mean, Matheson has made absolutely outrageous offensive plays the last two games so I don’t get this mind set.

Seems like you’re probably just getting old and burnt out on this iteration of the Pens.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I am interested in my HF Friends' opinion here. What are your thoughts on this season? It feels really dumb. The repeat stuff is bad. It feels like I'm watching multiple different leagues. I think it will lead to some ugly playoffs.

Don't get me wrong. I'm thankful. I'm happy. I'm content. But just discussing the hockey and leaving the outside stuff away, how do you all feel about it?

The North and Central are playing fun hockey.

The East and West look like they are playing hockey to win the cup.

I hope Toronto wins this year. It’d be very good for the future of the sport.

Reactions: ColePens and BHD

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

The truncated season last year was dumb. Total asterisk of a year.

This is...just...silly. The balance and parity is totally off kilter. It is like 4 regional super tournaments more than a league.

I'm hardly even invested in most things that used to entertain me sports-wise, right now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The truncated season last year was dumb. Total asterisk of a year.

This is...just...silly. The balance and parity is totally off kilter. It is like 4 regional super tournaments more than a league.

I'm hardly even invested in most things that used to entertain me sports-wise, right now.

I’m hardly invested in most things period.

My life has really just become about my relationships with family and my partner’s family.

HF is just an instinctive refuge from a past life.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
True. Kinda just come here because Reddit is worse. lol...it is what it is. I'd rather go on a hike.

Not drinking also takes out the fun of the game. Plus no fans.

Also Crosby, Malkin and Letang are still amongst the best players in the league but it’s clear their best days are behind them. Hard to continuously get up for watching them on their last legs. Although at the same time I remember the unexpected retirement of Lemieux so I know
I need to just be happy we get to watch them here now.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The schedule isn't ideal, but the product is still good. As for the divisions, they had to do them that way due to logistics. Besides, most teams are where you expected them to be under normal alignment. The point totals are the only weird part to the season so far.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Whatever team comes out of the Canadian division is gonna get curb stomped IMO.

No way will that team be prepared to play Colorado, Vegas, Tampa, etc.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

It sucks and is creating historical anomalies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I think when the playoffs come there will be less excitement because they've been playing playoff hockey all season. The only excitement left is the actual winners.

Like, if the Pens lose out, I don't want to watch whatever team win in a shorten season that you feel was the Pens last best chance at it. It's like pouring salt on the wound.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

Not to be a contrarian but I posted something about this yesterday.

In short, I like the compacted season against regional rivals. I don't think the hockey is any different. Looks like the same players are good, the same teams playing.

As a rare event (these couple seasons) I think it's been an interesting exercise. I like playing rivals all the time (I was always in favor of the miniseries) and the compressed season enhances the importance.

They were better prepared this year than last. Seasons are never on even ground (travel time for other divisions, cap disparity, etc). If anything, they're more in the same boat now than ever.

I really miss the fan impact on the game but it's been legitimate hockey.

Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’m hardly invested in most things period.

My life has really just become about my relationships with family and my partner’s family.

HF is just an instinctive refuge from a past life.
Yeah it's mostly a place to vent for me and even then the toxic stuff here just makes me give pause on visiting the board. So instead I enjoy more time with my fiancé and pretend this place doesn't exist.

Reactions: Gurglesons

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Its brutal imo. It’s to a point where I’m not gonna lie, I don’t find the league very enjoyable rn. Everyone playing each other is a problem, but I think a big part of my disdain is no live fans. I like the crowd. All sports have kinda stunk the past year.

On the flip side it’s better than nothing. Pandemic has been really really shitty so I will take what I can get, even this iteration of the NHL.

Basically- I’ll watch, but I’m not really enthusiastic or excited about doing it.

Reactions: ColePens

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Like every year it depends on how the Pens play. I know we won’t be at our best always but too many games so far have been garbage. Win ugly, lose uglier. Last game was really fun though. Need more of that. I’m not too fussed on the repeat games as long as we ‘play the right way’ :laugh: (win or lose).

Getting into stats a bit more this season. There’s some weird **** happening around the league so that’s interesting too.

EDIT: Having fun making GDT’s this season too. Not as skilled on the tech side of things as @Ugene Malkin . Maybe I’ll try to learn that stuff this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese