Around the NHL - Episode XLXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Updating the list of evidence for Bill Armstrong being the best GM in the league

Out:
OEL, Garland, Hill, Stepan, Kuemper

In:
Timmins, Kolyachonok, VAN 2021 1st (Guenther), 3 2021 2nds (Doan, Fedotov, Moser), COL 2022 1st, 4 more 2nd round picks from various teams, Gostisbehere, Ladd, Stralman, Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson

Absolutely insane.

Yeah Bill Armstrong is killing it

Thank God we struck gold on Stutzle and Norris, because we had significantly (edit) MORE TO TRADE and not sure if we got more than Arizona already received (edit : outside of Stutzle/Norris like I said)

Brassard, Hoffman, Karlsson, Duchene, Dzingel, Stone, Ceci and Pageau

Lol Ron Francis really messed up the expansion draft for Seattle

- Drafted Vanecek over Dillon, then Dillon is traded to WPG for two 2nds and he trades Vanecek back to Washington for one 2nd

- Drafted Quenneville (UFA with zero value) over Zadorov, who got a 3rd from Calgary

- Took Bayreuther (UFA with zero value) over Stenlund, and Bayreuther just re-signed back in Columbus

Bunch of other stupid choices but those 3 stand out as just a pure waste of assets.

I've been told asset management is not that much of a deal

Don’t really understand Danault for them. Byfield and Turcotte in the pipeline and now it’s even more crowded with Kopitar and Danault.

Add Vilardi to that list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuhrious and Smeddy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Arizona is setting themselves up for a HUGE draft next year in a really good year.
So does Ottawa they have about 130 picks for next season ... ooops ... just checked 12 picks. That should be enough to find that elite IQ, hockey sense, speedy, playmaking, goal scorer with elite skill guy. Not that hard, right?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Yeah Bill Armstrong is killing it

Thank God we struck gold on Stutzle and Norris, because we had significantly more trade and not sure if we got more than Arizona already received.

Come on. That's just silly. Even without Stutzle and Norris, the Senators got way more - Gustavsson, JBD, Tychonick, Thomson, Sogaard, Duclair, Stepan, Brannstrom, Sokolov, Phaneuf, Brown, Greig, Kleven, Merilainen, etc.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Come on. That's just silly. Even without Stutzle and Norris, the Senators got way more - Gustavsson, JBD, Tychonick, Thomson, Sogaard, Duclair, Stepan, Brannstrom, Sokolov, Phaneuf, Brown, Greig, Kleven, Merilainen, etc.

Duclair : stayed only 1 season where we finished 30th and left as a UFA
Stepan : Why do you list him here lol
Phaneuf : What?
Kleven : Ottawa's own 3rd was used to move up to grab him

Ok you're naming a bunch of good prospects here but do you realize what we're comparing?

vs

A massively overpaid declining D-man according to most, a good but dimunitive top-6 forward, an over-the-hill vet and 2 goalies...

This is the haul they've gotten so far :

Dylan Guenther (#9 in 2021)
Conor Timmins (#32 in 2017)
Josh Doan (#37 in 2021)
Janis Jerome Moser (#60 in 2021)
Vladislav Kolyachonok (#52 in 2019)
2022 1st round pick (COL)
2022 2nd round pick (SJS)
2022 2nd round pick (PHI)
2022 2nd round pick (VAN)
2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
2022 2nd round pick (NYI or COL)
Josef Korenar (23 y/o goalie)

Now imagine replacing these 1st and 2nd rounds picks by good prospects too

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Duclair : stayed only 1 season where we finished 30th and left as a UFA
Stepan : Why do you list him here lol
Phaneuf : What?
Kleven : Ottawa's own 3rd was used to move up to grab him

Ok you're naming a bunch of good prospects here but do you realize what we're comparing?

vs

A massively overpaid declining D-man according to most, a good but dimunitive top-6 forward, an over-the-hill vet and 2 goalies...

This is the haul they've gotten so far :

Dylan Guenther (#9 in 2021)
Conor Timmins (#32 in 2017)
Josh Doan (#37 in 2021)
Janis Jerome Moser (#60 in 2021)
Vladislav Kolyachonok (#52 in 2019)
2022 1st round pick (COL)
2022 2nd round pick (SJS)
2022 2nd round pick (PHI)
2022 2nd round pick (VAN)
2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
2022 2nd round pick (NYI or COL)
Josef Korenar (23 y/o goalie)

Now imagine replacing these 1st and 2nd rounds picks by good prospects too

He is confusing the Cowen trade with the Ceci trade.

This will take some time, but if you break down everything we got for Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Pageau, Brassard, Ceci and Hoffman....it is a pretty damn good haul.

Off the top of my head:

Stützle
Norris
Brannstrom
Sokolov
Thomson
Abramov
Bernard-Docker
Gustavsson
Greig
Ostapchuk
Davidsson (gone now but still)

Then factor in:

C. Brown
Zaitsev
DeMelo (traded for a 3rd, forgot who we picked)
Tierney
Duclair
Two 2nd round picks (Dzingel)

There's also the Hoffman trade, did we get a pick along with Boedker? Anyway I am half asleep, I am sure I missed something but, how are you guys arguing that we did not get a massive haul for the players we traded away?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I like Andy, but man....dude is done.

What is Buffalo thinking?

They lost Ullmark who I assume they wanted to extend since they decided not to trade him at the deadline. They need some goalies right now and they needed to lock someone in, if Anderson was willing to sign with them while a guy like Bernier (for example) might be more picky for a landing spot. Was probably one of, if not the only, shot Anderson was given at possibly playing.

They'll sign or trade for someone else soon, they don't have a choice.

There's Dubnyk, Bernier, Domingue, Holtby, McBackup. Possibly Korpisalo, Georgiev, Koskinen

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

There's also the Hoffman trade, did we get a pick along with Boedker? Anyway I am half asleep, I am sure I missed something but, how are you guys arguing that we did not get a massive haul for the players we traded away?

Yeah, I was half asleep when I posted my reply. And put down Phaneuf instead of Zaitsev.

But now that he's been called on it, he appears to be moving the goalposts and making it about what we gave up instead of what we got back.

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
I like Andy, but man....dude is done.

What is Buffalo thinking?

122f0495583b5c028ed1cb454f8879bc.gif

Reactions: DJB

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

This will take some time, but if you break down everything we got for Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Pageau, Brassard, Ceci and Hoffman....it is a pretty damn good haul.

Off the top of my head:

Stützle
Norris
Brannstrom
Sokolov
Thomson
Abramov
Bernard-Docker
Gustavsson
Greig
Ostapchuk
Davidsson (gone now but still)

Then factor in:

C. Brown
Zaitsev
DeMelo (traded for a 3rd, forgot who we picked)
Tierney
Duclair
Two 2nd round picks (Dzingel)

Yes and like I said already, we "struck gold" with Norris/Stutzle and with the whole Karlsson trade in general (we drafted Leevi Merilainen from the pick obtained in the DeMelo trade). Heck that trade by itself is giving us a chance to have a future (Sogaard, Ostapchuk too, sucks that we gave away Balcers stupidly). We also did pretty well on the return from Brassard, Dzingel, Pageau and even Ceci.

I'm not sure why that poster is trying to "call me out" on this. I have praised/defended Dorion on that subject several times in the past, even though I have been critical of his decisions on other subjects, "selling his assets" has been quite good in general but how exactly does it prevent the new Arizona GM to do even better? With so much less to work with (aka what he had to trade). It's also a testament against Melnyk because that GM has been allowed to weaponize their cap space. We've barely done that here.

Anyway, look at that thread just 1 year ago. I was the first to praise Dorion for this :

Our deepest prospect pool?

Yeah, I was half asleep when I posted my reply. And put down Phaneuf instead of Zaitsev.

But now that he's been called on it, he appears to be moving the goalposts and making it about what we gave up instead of what we got back.

The "goalposts" are only moved if you didn't understand what was said, which seems to be the case here. Why would you "call me out" on this? lol. How is it my fault when people are not reading properly?

I was talking "about what we gave up" right from the start, and I was also talking about "what we got back" so I was talking about both... I mean, why wouldn't I talk about both? Doesn't make any sense lol

This is what I said :

"Thank God we struck gold on Stutzle and Norris, because we had significantly more trade AND not sure if we got more than Arizona already received"

It was not worded perfectly so I edited for people reading while half asleep :

"Thank God we struck gold on Stutzle and Norris, because we had significantly (edit) MORE TO TRADE and not sure if we got more than Arizona already received (edit : outside of Stutzle/Norris like I said)"

I know I forgot the "to" between more and trade but I still think it was pretty clear and easy to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad