Early Conn Smythe Favourites

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Makar was clearly the best player on that team. Nobody watching these games thinks Bouchard's been the Oilers best player.
Actually most people that watched the Oilers/Canucks are saying Bouchard was the best player on either team. Im not saying that will continue but so far it is definitely Bouchard or Drai. Probably Bouchard though

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
How I think the voting would go for each team, at this point:

EDM: Draisaitl
DAL: Heiskanen
NYR: Shesterkin
FLA: Barkov
Yup I have to agree with this. Otter could steal it in Dallas yet but everything else seems locked in

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Why don't you bet your money then? Serious question.

You made a good point that Bouchard is on a better pace, but have failed to realize two things.

1. Mcdavid and Drai are out pacing Mack and Rantanen
2. Bouchard had an excellent series where everything went right offensively. He will probably not keep that pace up

No he hasn't
Actually most Oilers fans and broadcasters think Bouchard has been the best Oiler so far. And those people have watched every game. Drai would certainly be a close 2nd but Bouchard has been the most impactful in a positive way. His point totals for a dman are ridiculous and he has had several key goals

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
FLA: Tkachuk
NYR: Shesterkin
EDM: Bouchard
DAL: Oettinger

If Dallas beats Edmonton, it means that Otter shut down McDrai and Bouchard, so he will likely be the Stars’ representative if they make the SCF.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Actually most Oilers fans and broadcasters think Bouchard has been the best Oiler so far. And those people have watched every game. Drai would certainly be a close 2nd but Bouchard has been the most impactful in a positive way. His point totals for a dman are ridiculous and he has had several key goals
He did have a very good second round (clutch) exception of game 5 where he was the worst player on the ice, but he still won't win the Smythe.

This is my point tho. If all the Oilers fans think he's been there best player, go put your money down. The odds are great.

I'd also garner he most likely takes a step back and regresses a bit vs Dallas.

• Haha
Reactions: bobbythebrain

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He did have a very good second round (clutch) exception of game 5 where he was the worst player on the ice, but he still won't win the Smythe.

This is my point tho. If all the Oilers fans think he's been there best player, go put your money down. The odds are great.

Two different questions.

If your question is - if playoffs ended today, and you had to give the Conn Smythe to an Oiler, who gets it? I think Bouchard definitely has a claim. I'd probably go Drai #1 still, but I can see the argument for Bouchard.

I think the longer this goes (and 2 more rounds if Oilers win cup/get a smythe to one of their guys), you'd expect both McDrai to outperform Bouchard simply based on their pedigree. So even if it's closer today, it's probably a safer bet to think McDavid or Drai win the smythe if they win the cup.

My money is still on McDavid. If and when Oilers win the cup (and I think they will) - McDavid will win the smythe.

What's incredible is that there's a legitimate chance that Bouchard beats the all-time defenseman point record while both McDavid and Draisaitl beat Gretzky's all-time point record all in the same year. All 3 players are on-pace/close to it now. We'll see how long they can keep it up.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Bouchard or Drai
Heiskanen or Oettinger
Barkov or Tkachuk
Shesterkin

Those would be the notable names ATM. McDavid isn't far behind, and neither is W.Johnson IMO - but they are a step back for their team's current "nomination".

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Actually most people that watched the Oilers/Canucks are saying Bouchard was the best player on either team. Im not saying that will continue but so far it is definitely Bouchard or Drai. Probably Bouchard though
See it's not Bouchard he's 60-1 and the Oilers are in round 3.

The books aren't stupid. You can't come on here and say it's Bouch when it's not going to be

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

The books aren't stupid. You can't come on here and say it's Bouch when it's not going to be
I clearly didnt say Bouch was going to win it. And the line is not close to 60-1. Also the betting lines once they are active are based on the bets coming in. Its not the experts saying it its the bettors and not many are going to bet on Bouch to win it

Again noone is saying he is the best player. They are only saying he has been the Oilers best player SO FAR. Please read a little more carefully. I dont think there is any real chance he wins the Smythe. But I do think he has been the Oilers best player so far with Drai a close second

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Could change with 2 rounds left but leaders so far imo

Dallas: 1. Heiskanen 2. Oettinger 3. Johnston

No clear one here yet for them and could change. They have such good depth that you could make a case for more down the road. Oettinger stock could rise he shuts the door on the Oilers top stars and will probably need be their star player considering the goalie he’ll have to face in the finals which would make his stock rise.

Edmonton: 1. Draisaitl 2. Bouchard 3. Mcdavid

Drais is clear cut favorite along with Bouchards clutch. I can’t see Mcdavid getting it unless he really explodes but those two will still tag along if he does. Would be hard to ignore Bouchard if he gets 30 pts.

New York Rangers: 1. Shesterkin 2. Kreider 3. Trocheck

Other than Sheskterkin, really hard to pick so he’s the clear favorite for them. Judging by game 1, they’ll probably need him to be their best player.

Florida Panthers: 1. Barkov 2. Bobrovsky 3. Tkachuk

Could make a good case for 3 of them. Bob played like his Conn smythe form game 1. If he plays like that all the way to the cup, it’s his.

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Lmao. Using betting sites to make your argument.
When it comes to actual voting in the final round, they won't be basing the award on Bet365 or DraftKings there genuis

Last edited:

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Miro is obviously the Stars MVP.

If the Rangers win, it's because of Shesterkin masterclass

Barkov tilts the ice for Panthers, each shift. Crosby-Bergeron hybrid.

McDavid should play better. Yeah he got nice point totals against Rittich. Edmonton's season would be over if Draisaitl was playing at the same level as him. Drai carried them over Canucks.

Reactions: sanscosm

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Lmao. Using betting sites to make your argument.
When it comes to actual voting in the final round, they won't be basing the award on Bet365 or DraftKings there genuis
Bobby, you're post couldn't be more wrong. The books live lines accurately reflect who is favoured to win the Smythe. Nice try on this one, genius.

Sharp sites are pretty bang on with their lines these days. Exploitable sometimes, but usually sharp as a knife. I get you don't like me, but at this point you're just an uneducated troll.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bobby, you're post couldn't be more wrong. The books live lines accurately reflect who is favoured to win the Smythe. Nice try on this one, genius.

Sharp sites are pretty bang on with their lines these days. Exploitable sometimes, but usually sharp as a knife. I get you don't like me, but at this point you're just an uneducated troll.
Lmao. No, actually the betting odds are calculated to take in and calculate profit/payout . The ACTUAL voting will happen in the final round.

If Edm happens to be one of those teams, and Bouchard maintains his current scoring clip, he will be a 1-5 shot, most likely top 3.

So the 75-1 and 60-1 nonsense you keep spouting off as a 1000% guarantee tell all he won't win is complete nonsense. You laughed at anyone even suggesting he should be in the coversation

It's not called trolling, it's called logic. Try it

• Haha
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
No, the books reflect where the money coming in, is being directed.
I'm in this industry and It's actually a mix of both. The bookmakers still set initial lines.

If the money was coming in the odds would have moved, but they didn't so you are correct that NOBODY is betting Bouchard with any big money.

The mistake line was Draisaitl, that was hammered and has been adjusted. Bouchard is not winning the award.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
By virtue of how Conn Smythe voting works, almost guaranteed McDavid wins it if the Oilers win the cup. They like captains/face of the team votes

If it's close? Sure, McDavid gets preferential treatment. It happened with Crosby in 2016, and Ovechkin in 2018 as recent examples.

But if it's not close? He definitely won't win. As of now, if playoffs ended today, Draisaitl 100% wins over McDavid.

I still believe McDavid will win the Smythe, but it's because I expect him to do better and earn it above Draisaitl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad