Around the NHL - Episode XLXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Arizona collecting more futures.

Hopefully they've invested in their scouting staff.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Is there a button to unread twitter? I'd rather not know how freaking stupid people are.

"Pulling ads because an organization believes in second chances and rehabilitation is as fragile as it gets"

It's like releasing a violent rapist 2 weeks later because "everybody deserves a second chance" while the victim's is probably still in the hospital with her life and body in shambles.

I think some people just don't understand much of anything. The problem here has nothing to do with second chances. Maybe if you'd ever go out of your parents' basement, you'd understand that scars take time to heal.

There's a reason Logan Mailloux was (probably) advised to ask to not be drafted this year. It's actually incredible that a serious organization went ahead and did it anyway. Try to think how it would go in different society spheres

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Who was saying something about Wideman and wanted to sign Virtanen?

...yuck.

Pretty sure Jake has run out of chances. It was bad enough that she showed up to at least 3 separate training camps in 3 separate years out of shape, then not listening to his coaches in the AHL, now having several women come forward against him....that kid is done.

Imagine how stupid you have to be, to have NHL level skills and and NHL frame, only to piss it away by acting like an entitled lazy fratboy.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Who was saying something about Wideman and wanted to sign Virtanen?

The NHL is really doing an abysmal job addressing these issues. Virtanen, Blackhawks, Mailloux… different scales but geez, there’s a very clear need to tackle this as a league and their silence is deafening.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
...yuck.

Pretty sure Jake has run out of chances. It was bad enough that she showed up to at least 3 separate training camps in 3 separate years out of shape, then not listening to his coaches in the AHL, now having several women come forward against him....that kid is done.

Imagine how stupid you have to be, to have NHL level skills and and NHL frame, only to piss it away by acting like an entitled lazy fratboy.
Stupid or entitled? Because what are the consequences of his actions? That he got to play a bunch of years in the NHL and has an estimated career earnings of over $7 million?

The NHL sucks for this kind of stuff. Again, a league that should be a privilege to play in continues to pave the way to wealth for young, predominantly white males who have all kinds of behavioral issues ranging into the criminal territory. Their clubs either don't know or, more offensively, don't want to know.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Stupid or entitled? Because what are the consequences of his actions? That he got to play a bunch of years in the NHL and has an estimated career earnings of over $7 million?

The NHL sucks for this kind of stuff. Again, a league that should be a privilege to play in continues to pave the way to wealth for young, predominantly white males who have all kinds of behavioral issues ranging into the criminal territory. Their clubs either don't know or, more offensively, don't want to know.

I don't really follow other sports (outside of international soccer) but isn't it worse in football, basketball, etc? I think it's more a society problem... and it all comes down to how greedy and selfish people are. Controlling and "dominating" your own human nature is a very long process, it actually takes a whole life. IMO, it's your job as a parent to make your kids understand that so they can start working on themselves. I don't know how Jake was raised, but the sad part is a lot of young people do not grow in the right environment, don't have good examples and are not taught the important values.

But this whole "cancel culture" thing has to happen and it's good that it's happening. Sexual offenders for example should be revoked certain privileges that most "regular" people don't even have. Yes, second chances and everything but why can't they get their 2nd chance in a more "ordinary" life? Why would somebody that destroyed someone's else life have the chance to still live "his dreams" and a privileged life while the victim has to fight agaisnt her mental health just to stay afloat?

The only thing is we have to find the right balance and don't try to "cancel culture" everything and everyone. Leave it to the real stuff that did real damage to real people. Just don't push it too far.

Edit : I'm totally fine with "cancelling" someone like Jake Virtanen, give his privileged life to a more deserving kid

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Fleury goes to Chicago for a a nothing prospect

I know he's 37, but I've never understood why teams around the league don't value Fleury.

Was given away to Vegas in expansion instead of traded, no team would take him on last year and now the reigning Vezina winner gets traded for nothing.

Reactions: Beville

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Fleury goes to Chicago for a a nothing prospect

I know he's 37, but I've never understood why teams around the league don't value Fleury.

Was given away to Vegas in expansion instead of traded, no team would take him on last year and now the reigning Vezina winner gets traded for nothing.

And wasn't told before hand lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Real bad look for Vegas.

A guy like Fleury deserves a call before a trade is finalized and announced.
While true, his agent may have burnt some bridges with his past tweets. I'm sure Vegas is fine with not having to worry about Walsh posting pics of Fleury being stabbed in the back by sword bearing the HC's name anymore.

Reactions: Xspyrit

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
While true, his agent may have burnt some bridges with his past tweets. I'm sure Vegas is fine with not having to worry about Walsh posting pics of Fleury being stabbed in the back by sword bearing the HC's name anymore.

Fleury and Walsh seem to have mastered the good cop, bad cop bit.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Sure.

But he was the face of their expansion franchise, just won the Vezina and was a pillar in the community. That should outweigh an agent's tweet.

Vegas will always have a significant advantage being a no income tax state with low cost of living and year round golf... and while player's technically are assets, treating them like humans goes a long way. You can lose player respect quickly, and it's hard to get it back.

Look at Pierre Dorion. Without question, moving on from Karlsson and Turris was the right hockey move. But how he went about that process? It certainly hurt him, from a reputation point of view.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure.

But he was the face of their expansion franchise, just won the Vezina and was a pillar in the community. That should outweigh an agent's tweet.

Vegas will always have a significant advantage being a no income tax state with low cost of living and year round golf... and while player's technically are assets, treating them like humans goes a long way. You can lose player respect quickly, and it's hard to get it back.

Look at Pierre Dorion. Without question, moving on from Karlsson and Turris was the right hockey move. But how he went about that process? It certainly hurt him, from a reputation point of view.

I guess what I'm getting at is there is likely more to this story, Likely it will never see the light of day though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad