Around the NHL - Episode XLXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Zibanejad has the 10th most points of any center in the last 3 years and 19th most points of any forward.

He's also the far better two-way player. Ridiculous that Tkachuk should demand anywhere close to as much.
Tkachuk's argument would be Zibby will be on the decline in the next few years while Brady will only get better. I hate it as much as the next person, but I mean if it takes 8.4 for Brady, just do it. Cap hits will only go up. I remember the same crowd worrying when Chabot signed for 8x8.

Reactions: topshelf15

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Tkachuk's argument would be Zibby will be on the decline in the next few years while Brady will only get better. I hate it as much as the next person, but I mean if it takes 8.4 for Brady, just do it. Cap hits will only go up. I remember the same crowd worrying when Chabot signed for 8x8.

I am okay with Chabot’s salary but I dont think its a steal either, at all

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What's with the weird capitalization?
Mocking the grossly overused reason why Tkachuk should earn that kind of money. You know, since the argument can't possibly be made from a production standpoint we'll lean on something esoteric like intangibles to inflate his value.

And, to be clear, I really like Tkachuk as a player and think he brings things to the table that don't always show up on score sheets but it's not possible to have a reasonable and rational discussion about it.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I really like Zibby, but the last half of that deal is going to hurt.

The way the league is going, getting younger and faster, I think the back half of many of these deals s going to hurt. Stone. Barkov. Barkov is a little younger than Zibanejad. I don't think this franchise can play in these games. We need to lock guys up for as long as possible coming off ELCs and then look to move them prior to the big long term UFA deal

Reactions: Yak and SENStastic

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Zibanejad extends with the Rangers. 8.5M x 8YRs.

Obligatory reminder that all we have for trading this elite #1 center is JBD, Gustavsson and Tychonick.

For me, it's more the fact that they are not scared to spend money at all. They are ready to do what is necessary

I really like Zibby, but the last half of that deal is going to hurt.

Not for a team like the New York Rangers. There will always be ways to "get out of it" if needed

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The way the league is going, getting younger and faster, I think the back half of many of these deals s going to hurt. Stone. Barkov. Barkov is a little younger than Zibanejad. I don't think this franchise can play in these games. We need to lock guys up for as long as possible coming off ELCs and then look to move them prior to the big long term UFA deal

Unfortunately true.

Most UFA deals (anything 6 years and over, really) almost never work out well for the team. It sucks though. It seems players are getting the money both ways now - paid for projected performance on their second deal, then paid again for past performance on the UFA deal. Something has to give pretty soon.

Reactions: Yak

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Unfortunately true.

Most UFA deals (anything 6 years and over, really) almost never work out well for the team. It sucks though. It seems players are getting the money both ways now - paid for projected performance on their second deal, then paid again for past performance on the UFA deal. Something has to give pretty soon.

I wonder if it's the old boy GM network that has to give. It's a pretty exclusive club of very high paying jobs. And I'm kind of thinking it's more the old boy network that is still handing out these deals

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Unfortunately true.

I wonder if it's the old boy GM network that has to give. It's a pretty exclusive club of very high paying jobs. And I'm kind of thinking it's more the old boy network that is still handing out these deals

NHL teams are pretty much aware of this but they are still ready to play the spending game because if they don't, their rival teams will. There's plenty of teams that would spend more if it was possible but the salary cap limits them so it gives a chance to the "poor teams". Some owners are ready to sacrifice a bit of profit or even pocket a few millions themselves to have a "better chance to win".

It's a playground for billionaires. Many teams are in markets where it's easy to sellout your rink even if the ticket price is high. They also sell a lot of merchandise and have several other important revenues. Roster salary expenditure is not a big deal for them. Example : where I live, they make a lot of profit every year and that's without Evenko who is a money printing machine. They could spend a lot more on their roster and wouldn't blink an eye.

Based on that, several teams are not really scared to burn a few millions there and there. In this case, Zibanejad is 28 y/o, they must think/hope he'll be a great/good contributor at least during the first 5 years. They are ready to risk the last few years because it brings down the AAV NOW... They probably could have gotten him on a 6 years deal instead but that AAV would be much higher

Must be a fun feeling when your favorite team is rich and not scared to burn money. We find these deals "outrageous" but it's also nothing compared to basketball, baseball and football.

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
That's a terribly flawed and short sighted argument for Brady considering Zibanejad signed extremely team friendly seals in 2.5M X 2 years followed by 5.5M X 5 years in his "I'm getting better" years that Brady is in. And to boot, Zibanejad was matching him in points in his 3 ELC years And pacing 55pt per 82 in his two bridge years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad