Around the NHL - Episode XLXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Murray Wilson has some really crazy stories from the 70s. Even Scotty Bowman was into it. Apparently Scotty loved the black girls.

I read Bill Wyman's book too, the bass player for the Stones where he mentions it was him & Margaret Trudeau & not Mick. Also mentions all the groupies everywhere they went in the world no matter where.

Signing a guy who has had one good season, where he got to play with 2 of the best players in the world, for huge money until he's 35 seems like a great idea. If you hate the Oilers.

Assen na yo!

I like Nurse he is an excellent defenceman & probably worth the money to them. I think their defence has improved & like others I think it will be their goaltending that hurts them. Hopefully they put Draisaitl up for sale one of these days.

Take it easy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When was the last time a GM came to Edmonton and actually succeeded? Kevin Lowe, Craig Mactavish, Peter Chiarelli, and now Ken Holland…

tenor.gif

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It seems Oilers are paiting themselves in a corner. Could win a few rounds in the next 2-3 years but their situation might not "age well". It's like they are closing their window in advance

Kinda makes me wonder what would happen if Dorion had money to spend

Keith even at his age will be a big boost. Nurse, Keith, Barrie, Ceci, Bouchard, Russel and Broberg is an upgrade for them. Add in the added depth and grit with Hyman and Foegle and they should push for the Pacific. The goaltending is atrocious and will likely kill them come playoff time.

Mike Smith was pretty damn good last year though. He's a guy that has been underrated all his career. Reminds me of Roloson that way. Problem could be playoffs, he made some costly mistakes against the Jets

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Too old to maintain his good play over a long stretch and the backup is a hot mess.

Reactions: aragorn

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Every single UFA is looking up the Oilers on CapFriendly right now, while simultaneously texting their agent to get on the goddam phone with Ken Holland.

Reactions: Yak

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
McJesus is going to get out of their at first chance.

It will take two decades to get out of the mess Holland is putting them in.

Their team has more Holes then the sinking titanic and Holland just keeps making it worse.

Pierre needs to call him and unload any of our unwanteds or maybe make him offer he can't refuse for McJesus or Draisaitl....ha,ha...jk

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
The Oilers will comfortably make the playoffs because they'll be playing in the worst division again, but I think they will also be a first round exit again, maybe second round. Don't think they can get past Vegas in a 7 game series if they have to face them.

Reactions: Sensators and Yak

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Not going to lie, I would feel a bit of schadenfreude if Kaprizov signs in Russia after all the shit Wild fans were talking about Stutzle last year.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Not going to lie, I would feel a bit of schadenfreude if Kaprizov signs in Russia after all the shit Wild fans were talking about Stutzle last year.
I have not heard anything about Stutzle and Min fan. But yeah , if he think he s deserve more than 10m after one year . He can return in russia

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Lehner on the Cam and Strick podcast had some less than rosy words for the Buffalo medical staff.

"I tore everything in my foot...the shit they did to some of the players was crazy, man. They had me on the bike one week after my (ankle sprain). I should've just been walking after 6-8 weeks."

I'm no medical professional, but I could see the reason there being bike riding is less impact on a foot than most other activities...maybe? Still, this is yet another bad look on the Sabres.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Murray Wilson has some really crazy stories from the 70s. Even Scotty Bowman was into it. Apparently Scotty loved the black girls.

There's a quote in Edpo's book that goes

We'd go into a bar in Boston after a Saturday night game, nobody could make a move until Bobby decided which one he wanted

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There's a quote in Edpo's book that goes

We'd go into a bar in Boston after a Saturday night game, nobody could make a move until Bobby decided which one he wanted
Yes, not the exact quote, but close enough, Orr always got first choice for some reason.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Few spicy likes gets a man fired these days.

Shannahan is an embarrassment.

*Not hired.

People have been not hired for less.

At the end of the day, Shanahan is the head of a large media and entertainment company. His job is to sell tickets, programming, and sponsorships. Winning hockey games is a means to that end. In this case, the potential negative PR (however temporary) outweighed whatever value Imoo would have brought in his capacity as a minor league goalie coach.

It’s a sound business decision.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
*Not hired.

People have been not hired for less.

At the end of the day, Shanahan is the head of a large media and entertainment company. His job is to sell tickets, programming, and sponsorships. Winning hockey games is a means to that end. In this case, the potential negative PR (however temporary) outweighed whatever value Imoo would have brought in his capacity as a minor league goalie coach.

It’s a sound business decision.

What's the issue with Imoo?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
What Lebron tweeted out was horrible.

Not going to comment on the other things Imoo liked but it's a little funny he's getting more blowback for liking comments than LeBron did for making them.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
What Lebron tweeted out was horrible.

Not going to comment on the other things Imoo liked but it's a little funny he's getting more blowback for liking comments than LeBron did for making them.

The value that Lebron James provides to his organization and sponsors far outweighs momentary bad PR from a misguided tweet.

The reality is that it’s not a level playing field. A famous person who generates billions of dollars can say and do things that someone who doesn’t, cannot.

Dusty Imoo is not Lebron James. And it goes “both ways”. Donald Trump can get away with saying things that the manager at your local Independent Grocer cannot.

If Auston Matthews liked those tweets he’d still be on the team, because he can score 60 goals in a season and make MLSE hundreds of millions of dollars. Dusty Imoo can do what? Help Joseph Woll slightly improve his glove hand? That’s not making anyone (with the exception of maybe Joseph Woll) more money.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I don't understand the compulsion to comb through some fella's social media looking for dirt.
For instance, I wouldnt want some kid that liked a bunch of anti-vax tweets to get into medical school to then become a doctor and perpetuate falsehoods and myths that have cost the government millions in research to disprove and even more in healthcare due to vaccine hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad