Around the NHL - Episode XLXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Your Canes just signed Stepan. Why did they do that?
likely to play him on their fourth line on a near league minimum contract and at the cost of zero assets. Where did he play with us again? What was his cap hit? What did we give up for him?

There's a place for guys like Stepan and Gudbransson in team's lineups, it just doesn't happen to be the place we opted to slot them.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
That's a helluva lot of money to be spending every year on "support staff." By that excerpt, looks around half a million? I hope he at least has a financial planner.
Doesn't Lebron spend millions to keep his conditioning and body up ? Its smart to invest in your body and health for his career cause he will make millions later in his 30s

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
It's the amount he's spending which is wild. $100k a year for a chef? $1k a day + apartment for a live-in physio? $50k for a dietologist?

He went from a 50-60 pt player to a 90-100pt scorer.
his next contract will be atleast 11M about a 5M yearly increase its a great investment.

Reactions: TheDebater

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It's the amount he's spending which is wild. $100k a year for a chef? $1k a day + apartment for a live-in physio? $50k for a dietologist?

Keep in mind he's making 6.3M a year.

If we figure he's spending 500K for his own health then that's about 8% of his salary allocated.

So let's say we compare it to someone making 100K, that would be approximately 8,000.00$ a year.

It's certainly a lot more than people would spend for physio, dietician and all but if you figure let's say once a week you go see a physio for an hour and also add a Goodlife membership on top of that you're already in the 7K range for a year. As others have said this will also ensure his longevity in the league so I'm sure it'll come back to him in the long run (and it already is). If someone is really dedicated to their health then I could see someone allocating 5-8% of their budget towards that. Again, obviously not something a typical average person would spend but he's an athlete.

Last edited:

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I lived in Cornwall for a few years in the late 80's and early 90's. The Royals were still there. I went to a lot of games. Those kids had their female groupies. They were the Big men on campus at their high-schools (so girls from 15 to 18). You can appreciate the situation they are in. It can be a mess. Who did what??? who knows.

I use to attend Carleton Ravens Basketball games. Ditto...after the game, each player had 1-3 female students around them. Most were first years (so 18 to 19 year olds). Again, Big Men on Campus...

One game caught my attention...about 10 years ago now. Laurentian was in town to play the Ravens (and the GeeGee the next night). The Laurentian coach was at the time fairly young, maybe 35-40. Good looking son of a gun..Had long hair, was fit..I mean damn, I never felt more like Cinderla's step sister more than being around him. A group of first year Laurentian students had traveled with the team to Ottawa. 4 girls, and you could tell they were 18, sat next to me. I could pick up some of the chatter from them, it was obvious they found the coach cute. Second half, the fans start razing the coach. Someone yelled out some remark..all 4 girls, in unison, screamed: He is so cute..It sent a chill up my spine. 18 year old girls, the basketball coach..It could easily be 18 year old girls, the basketball player(s). The long and short...impressionable young females, sports VIPS. Can you imagine if that coach decided to "take advantage of their adoration"??????? Now imagine the shit that would fly!!!

Sex scandals involving sports VIPs and young females, or females in general, can be a mess.

Last edited:

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I lived in Cornwall for a few years in the late 80's and early 90's. The Royals were still there. I went to a lot of games. Those kids had their female groupies. They were the Big men on campus at their high-schools (so girls from 15 to 18). You can appreciate the situation they are in. It can be a mess. Who did what??? who knows.

I use to attend Carleton Ravens Basketball games. Ditto...after the game, each player had 1-3 female students around them. Most were first years (so 18 to 19 year olds). Again, Big Men on Campus...

One game caught my attention...about 10 years ago now. Laurentian was in town to play the Ravens (and the GeeGee the next night). The Laurentian coach was at the time fairly young, maybe 35-40. Good looking son of a gun..Had long hair, was fit..I mean damn, I never felt more like Cinderla's step sister more than being around him. A group of first year Laurentian students had traveled with the team to Ottawa. 4 girls, and you could tell they were 18, sat next to me. I could pick up some of the chatter from them, it was obvious they found the coach cute. Second half, the fans start razing the coach. Someone yelled out some remark..all 4 girls, in unison, screamed: He is so cute..It sent a chill up my spine. 18 year old girls, the basketball coach..It could easily be 18 year old girls, the basketball player(s). The long and short...impressionable young females, sports VIPS. Can you imagine if that coach decided to "take advantage of their adoration"??????? Now imagine the shit that would fly!!!

Sex scandals involving sports VIPs and young females, or females in general, can be a mess.
I read Phil Esposito's book as well as Magic Johnson & in both books they talked about arriving in a city & there being all kinds of girls/women waiting for the guys at the airports. In the case of Magic Johnson he said 30 or more women sometimes were waiting from every walk of life lawyers, nurses, teachers, house wives etc. He mentioned in the book how some guys had their same girls each time they played in that city & others got to choose from whoever was there, there is a reason players love to go on the road.

It might be different today, I assume it is with everyone carrying a camera with their cell phones, but when you are rich & famous there are a lot of people who want to be associated with you & willing to do anything. And anyone who knows any older ex-NHL players & heard a number of their stories of parties they had & some of the antics they did or the money they blew. These guys are not saints & in the old days were able to get away with a lot more than they do today.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I read Phil Esposito's book as well as Magic Johnson & in both books they talked about arriving in a city & there being all kinds of girls/women waiting for the guys at the airports. In the case of Magic Johnson he said 30 or more women sometimes were waiting from every walk of life lawyers, nurses, teachers, house wives etc. He mentioned in the book how some guys had their same girls each time they played in that city & others got to choose from whoever was there, there is a reason players love to go on the road.

It might be different today, I assume it is with everyone carrying a camera with their cell phones, but when you are rich & famous there are a lot of people who want to be associated with you & willing to do anything. And anyone who knows any older ex-NHL players & heard a number of their stories of parties they had & some of the antics they did or the money they blew. These guys are not saints & in the old days were able to get away with a lot more than they do today.
My argument is slightly different. VIPs in general have been known to "play the field". Whether its rock stars, or movie stars or any VIP. A good friend of mine was the son of a successful business man. He was worth a few bucks. I had a front row seat. He would arrive somewhere in his sports car and like bees to honey..So, this is not new.

The issue is knowing what. Knowing when to stop or is she being playful. Knowing when to distinguish between that women who is offering herself and one who isn't? Now get by that hurdle, you have hurdle two. Do we have; after the fact accusation. Was she willing and later regretted it? Was she hurt, felt used and is striking back? Does she/did she have bigger expectation. Being Miss Pro Athlete is pretty good! And so on.

So, in a world where women throw themselves at these guys. They have to distinguish the willing from the not...and we have to distinguish the "did it happen" or "didn't it". And then you add the 600 complexities. The incidents for Gagne were in 2016!!!!!! Can someone explain to me why so long? It always drives me nuts when these stories come out and you realize that it was years earlier...Like I said, a mess.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I'm not a therapist but if the event happened a month ago or 20 years ago, it still happened and it was physically and emotionally hard for the victim to get help.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
They have to distinguish the willing from the not...

This is not hard. 99% of adult men, rich and poor, are able to do this their entire lives.

2016 is not long ago. Considering the victim was reportedly 16, she would be 22 now. It can take years for a child (and this is what the victim was) to develop the courage, and realize they have the agency, to come forward.

Your posts reek of ignorance and show your age. You should educate yourself.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
This is not hard. 99% of adult men, rich and poor, are able to do this their entire lives.

2016 is not long ago. Considering the victim was reportedly 16, she would be 22 now. It can take years for a child (and this is what the victim was) to develop the courage, and realize they have the agency, to come forward.

Your posts reek of ignorance and show your age. You should educate yourself.
99% of all men are not elite athletes. 99% of all men do not have women throwing themselves at them. 99% of all men struggle to find a small number of sexual mates in their lives. As a result, the only answer they understand is no. And are pleasantly surprised when the answer is yes.

The Olympics hands out ~ 10,000 condoms to ~ 4500 male athletes. 2 weeks. Do you think that any 45000 males in society would need 10,000 condoms in 2 weeks? heck, they would not need it in 2 life times. factor in the happily married, the uninterested, the purposefully celibate. The die-hard who is focused on sports, the shy, the backwards. And those 10,000 condoms went to about 1000 male athletes.

Perhaps you should educate yourself and read the many articles and books written by VIPs on their sexual habits. Perhaps you will see the world they run in is different. And as more women throw themselves at them, it becomes that much harder to distinguish willing from not. Maybe you need to read Espo's or Magic or Wilts books. At the time of his death Jim Morrison was dealing with 16 paternity suits. Do some approximating and you will realize that he may have slept with 500-600 women. He was dead at 27. Do the math on how many women a year for the 6-7 years of being a rock star.

The 15 year old and the 18 year old can take forever to come to grips. Trauma is not easy to overcome. And her stresses are not to be minimized or to dismissed.

The issue is: as time rolls in, we: society have to adjudicate. Have to render judgement. And as time moves on, it becomes more and more difficult. And accusations become more and more difficult to prove, yet more and more damning to the accused. He/She will be in a position of having to prove innocence, rather than we proving guilt. As time moves on, we no longer judge facts, but judge sentimentality and societal anger. Coming off the heels of the draft incident, coming off the heels of the me too movement and Bill Cosby. We are now very safely in the "guilty until proven innocent" mode.

Gagne may be guilty as guilty can be. But a young junior aged player, having been drafted in the second round in a small town is a rock star. It does not allow him to rape anyone. But we do not live his life and do not know what it was like. And must always presume innocence until we can prove guilt. Must give the accused the benefit of the doubt and must consider the 100 different issues.

Panarin was accused...Patrick Kane was accused... I take it you consider both of them guilty. Or should we have condemned them blindly as you seem to feel.

Please Solomon, get off of the mountain of righteousness. It is awfully crowded up there. And most of its residents are hypocrites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->