Around the NHL - Episode XLXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
99% of all men are not elite athletes. 99% of all men do not have women throwing themselves at them. 99% of all men struggle to find a small number of sexual mates in their lives. As a result, the only answer they understand is no. And are pleasantly surprised when the answer is yes.

The Olympics hands out ~ 10,000 condoms to ~ 4500 male athletes. 2 weeks. Do you think that any 45000 males in society would need 10,000 condoms in 2 weeks? heck, they would not need it in 2 life times. factor in the happily married, the uninterested, the purposefully celibate. The die-hard who is focused on sports, the shy, the backwards. And those 10,000 condoms went to about 1000 male athletes.

Perhaps you should educate yourself and read the many articles and books written by VIPs on their sexual habits. Perhaps you will see the world they run in is different. And as more women throw themselves at them, it becomes that much harder to distinguish willing from not. Maybe you need to read Espo's or Magic or Wilts books. At the time of his death Jim Morrison was dealing with 16 paternity suits. Do some approximating and you will realize that he may have slept with 500-600 women. He was dead at 27. Do the math on how many women a year for the 6-7 years of being a rock star.

The 15 year old and the 18 year old can take forever to come to grips. Trauma is not easy to overcome. And her stresses are not to be minimized to dismissed.

The issue is: as time rolls in, we: society have to adjudicate. Have to render judgement. And as time moves on, it becomes more and more difficult. And accusations become more and more difficult to prove, yet more and more damning to the accused. He/She will be in a position of having to prove innocence, rather than we proving guilt. As time moves on, we no longer judge facts, but judge sentimentality and societal anger. Coming off the heels of the draft incident, coming off the heels of the me too movement and Bill Cosby. We are now very safely in the "guilty until proven innocent" mode.

Gagne may be guilty as guilty can be. But a young junior aged player, having been drafted in the second round in a small town is a rock star. It does not allow him to rape anyone. But we do not live his life and do not know what it was like. And must always presume innocence until we can prove guilt. Must give the accused the benefit of the doubt and must consider the 100 different issues.

Panarin was accused...Patrick Kane was accused... I take you consider both of them guilty. Or should we have condemn them blindly as you seem to feel.

Please Solomon, get off of the mountain of righteousness. It is awfully crowded up there. And most of its residents are hypocrites.

This tops your COVID posts in terms of being non-sensical. No reason to respond here.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I read Phil Esposito's book as well as Magic Johnson & in both books they talked about arriving in a city & there being all kinds of girls/women waiting for the guys at the airports. In the case of Magic Johnson he said 30 or more women sometimes were waiting from every walk of life lawyers, nurses, teachers, house wives etc. He mentioned in the book how some guys had their same girls each time they played in that city & others got to choose from whoever was there, there is a reason players love to go on the road.

It might be different today, I assume it is with everyone carrying a camera with their cell phones, but when you are rich & famous there are a lot of people who want to be associated with you & willing to do anything. And anyone who knows any older ex-NHL players & heard a number of their stories of parties they had & some of the antics they did or the money they blew. These guys are not saints & in the old days were able to get away with a lot more than they do today.
Murray Wilson has some really crazy stories from the 70s. Even Scotty Bowman was into it. Apparently Scotty loved the black girls.

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Doesn't Lebron spend millions to keep his conditioning and body up ? Its smart to invest in your body and health for his career cause he will make millions later in his 30s

But LeBron makes something like $30 mil a year. It's quite a bit easier to put a good ten mil in investments and never worry financially.

MacKinnon is around $6 mil, and nearly half that goes to taxes...adding $500k+ for his training....the money is gobbled up in a hurry for him. Dude likely could've gotten the same professional services for half that price.

(That said...at least he isn't gambling it all away.)

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
But LeBron makes something like $30 mil a year. It's quite a bit easier to put a good ten mil in investments and never worry financially.

MacKinnon is around $6 mil, and nearly half that goes to taxes...adding $500k+ for his training....the money is gobbled up in a hurry for him. Dude likely could've gotten the same professional services for half that price.

(That said...at least he isn't gambling it all away.)

McKinnon is just spending the money he gets for pimping Tim Hortons on people who make sure he won't eat any Tim Hortons.

Assen na yo!

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
This tops your COVID posts in terms of being non-sensical. No reason to respond here.
I'm not even going to bother responding to him directly because I know he'll say I'm "out to get him" lol but it seems to be pretty standard fare for him to post these long, rambling, aimless tales that very rarely have even a hint of sense about them. This is another "classic" to add to the repertoire of bad takes.

I mean what can you even say in response to that block of nonsense?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Woof

I like Nurse but Jesus tap-dancing Christ thats a lot of money

Yikes!

That is going to hamstring the Oilers into trading Drai at some point you've gotta think. But who knows if he is still improving it could be a steal.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
What are people seeing in Edmonton's offseason moves that springs so much optimism on the main boards?

They finished 2nd in the north last year and have a good shot to be there again this year in a weaker Pacific division this year, but there are serious, serious question marks outside of forward.

upload_2021-8-6_10-47-53.png

upload_2021-8-6_10-49-28.png

Without the Nurse extension kicking in, the Oilers are allotting nearly 32% of their cap towards a D core that is littered with faults. Winnipeg's D got better with the addition of Schmidt and Dillon, Vancouver's D is better than it was last year with OEL and Poolman, but I'd argue that the Oilers only spent more money and a combination of Keith and Ceci is no better than Larsson and Bear.

And the goalies....it feels like a sunk cost fallacy in their approach to their goaltending

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What are people seeing in Edmonton's offseason moves that springs so much optimism on the main boards?

They finished 2nd in the north last year and have a good shot to be there again this year in a weaker Pacific division this year, but there are serious, serious question marks outside of forward.

View attachment 459709
View attachment 459711

Without the Nurse extension kicking in, the Oilers are allotting nearly 32% of their cap towards a D core that is littered with faults. Winnipeg's D got better with the addition of Schmidt and Dillon, Vancouver's D is better than it was last year with OEL and Poolman, but I'd argue that the Oilers only spent more money and a combination of Keith and Ceci is no better than Larsson and Bear.

And the goalies....it feels like a sunk cost fallacy in their approach to their goaltending
I don't get it and I didn't get it this past season. They have a subpar roster beyond their two generational talents.

And they went out and grabbed Ceci for their top 4 and re-signed old ass Mike Smith. Not instilling much confidence unless there's some internal competition I'm not aware of.

Reactions: Shruggs Peterson

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

View attachment 459709
View attachment 459711

I'd take Bear and Larsson over 38 year old Keith and Ceci. No question. Hyman is a good addition but that price and term is questionable. Foegele is meh to me. A decent 3rd line player.

They have 2 of the 10 best players in the world so anything can happen but I don't see them being true contenders. Their division sucks though so I expect they'll get another crack at the playoffs at least.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Signing a guy who has had one good season, where he got to play with 2 of the best players in the world, for huge money until he's 35 seems like a great idea. If you hate the Oilers.

Assen na yo!

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
I feel like Nurse thought he was joking with that contract offer and then realized he was serious

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Keith even at his age will be a big boost. Nurse, Keith, Barrie, Ceci, Bouchard, Russel and Broberg is an upgrade for them. Add in the added depth and grit with Hyman and Foegle and they should push for the Pacific. The goaltending is atrocious and will likely kill them come playoff time.

Reactions: aragorn

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
When was the last time a GM came to Edmonton and actually succeeded? Kevin Lowe, Craig Mactavish, Peter Chiarelli, and now Ken Holland…

Reactions: DrEasy

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Anyone still think Chabot is overpaid?

That contract is horrendous. I also read Nurse played over 57% of his ice time with 97 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad