Around the NHL - Episode XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I'd be surprised if Toronto didn't end up signing Pietrangelo at this point.

Was more of a longshot before COVID when he was probably looking at a deal for a million or two more each year. Different environment now with the cap being stagnant and teams' financial situations being in jeopardy.

They could deal Nylander and Johnsson (10.4M cap hit) for picks/prospects and fit him in pretty easily.

Toronto being even more top-heavy against the cap?

Yeah I can see it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
But I thought they didn’t have financial issues?

When you read something like this, don't assume that any of Toronto, Montreal or NYR have any financial problems. It's pretty much impossible until these markets change drastically.

Was more of a longshot before COVID when he was probably looking at a deal for a million or two more each year. Different environment now with the cap being stagnant and teams' financial situations being in jeopardy.

They could deal Nylander and Johnsson (10.4M cap hit) for picks/prospects and fit him in pretty easily.

Yeah, unfortunately the 3 markets I mentionned above have a big advantage this "offseason" with this covid situation because they can easily "afford" it and can still spend to the cap, which is not the case for most NHL teams who have been bleeding money and might have to be on a more strict budget than usual. We don't even know when there'll be fans in the stands at this point.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Finding a trading partner willing to take on that $10.4M cap hit will be an issue.

Reactions: Beville

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Finding a trading partner willing to take on that $10.4M cap hit will be an issue.

Shouldn't be too hard given Nylander is a young star forward and Johnsson is a young 2nd/3rd liner.

Cap hit also isn't as much as a factor because of their front-loaded, bonus-laden deals.

Nylander has a cap hit of about 7M but only makes 2.5M in salary next year now that his bonus has been paid, with the remaining 3 years of his deal being 6M salary each year.

Johnsson has a cap hit of 3.4M but only makes 2.6M in salary now that his bonus has been paid, with the other 2 years paying him 2.5M salary each year.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Sens were in on both because of their low salary contracts relative to their cap hits.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Shouldn't be too hard given Nylander is a young star forward and Johnsson is a young 2nd/3rd liner.

Cap hit also isn't as much as a factor because of their front-loaded, bonus-laden deals.

Nylander has a cap hit of about 7M but only makes 2.5M in salary next year now that his bonus has been paid, with the remaining 3 years of his deal being 6M salary each year.

Johnsson has a cap hit of 3.4M but only makes 2.6M in salary now that his bonus has been paid, with the other 2 years paying him 2.5M salary each year.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Sens were in on both because of their low salary contracts relative to their cap hits.
Would be smart moves to add that quality of player at a very good price tag.
Same issue with the Sens remains firmly in place , imo, making it unlikely. I would be pleasantly surprised if they made these kinds of moves in this climate where teams need to shed $

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If/When the NHL decides to play a shorter season in number of games would players salaries be rolled back ?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If/When the NHL decides to play a shorter season in number of games would players salaries be rolled back ?
Proportionally reduced is probably a more accurate way to say that

I don't recall...isn't that what they did in 2012/13?

Reactions: GCK

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Renaud Lavoie said the season can start in March with just 48 games or probably no season

Reactions: GCK

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I am looking forward to this off season. There will be some head scratching moves made by a lot of clubs trying to cut costs.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

So far Bettman is maintaining the intention of playing 82 games next year. I guess i can see them making every attempt to max that revenue. Without a bubble it will be a challenge though.

But if they play less games, the escrow takes care of it wouldnt it? The only issue for the players is that a huge debt will be building up. One they'll have to pay back to escrow over quite a few years. Their salary will be garnished 20% a year until its all paid back. It would sure make things easier in the long run if the players took the pay cut now id think. Since their salaries are related to revenues they get it back the instant the revenues return. I can see some reasons why the nhlpa wouldnt want to take the salary rollback, but i cant help but think it would make it easier on them in the long run and fairer for all players if they did. But i dont have the data they do to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad