Around the NHL - Episode XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

Good read.

"The weird thing was just seeing guys on other teams. Even if they had a couple of hotels where they limited it, it was just weird. Even if you saw a buddy on another team that you're friends with, it's like, 'Do I say hi to him? Do I not say hi to him?'" he said. "And sometimes you'd be eating, and, like, the coaches from the other team are one table over from you having a meal. It's just too weird, you know? That might be different in other sports, but it's weird for hockey."
Don Cherry would be happy to hear that.

Was also interesting hearing them compare it to minor leagues cause there were no fans and how hard it was to motivate without that 7th man. Guess there’s something tangible to that after all.

So they suggested there’s no way they’d do a bubble again for next season. More sympathy for Tuukka maybe. But that’s gonna make next season a little more unpredictable, or maybe more predictable.

"There was definitely chatter of what teams wanted to be there and what teams wanted to be home. Ultimately, I think everyone realizes, whoever ends up winning the Cup this summer is a very deserving champion. We're going to remember that team forever. The grind this year makes it perhaps even harder to win."
Here, here.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This off-season Rutherford has turned:

Hornqvist, Hallander, Bjugstad (50% retained), 15th OVR into Kapanen, Matheson and Sceviour

Old man needs to be put out to pasture

Reactions: Deku and DJB

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Hornqvist, Hallander, Bjugstad (50% retained), 15th OVR into Kapanen, Matheson and Sceviour

For the most part those are nice moves.
They get faster, faster and healthier

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I mean the only asset that has value there is the 15th overall and then Hallander. Bjugstad is a throw away, he's an average 3rd line guy that's always injured and never fit in. Hornqvist is the new Clarke MacArthur.

Reactions: BondraTime

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I mean the only asset that has value there is the 15th overall and then Hallander. Bjugstad is a throw away, he's an average 3rd line guy that's always injured and never fit in. Hornqvist is the new Clarke MacArthur.

With those 3 moves the Pens are worse now and have a worse future too.

The Dorion special.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
With those 3 moves the Pens are worse now and have a worse future too.

The Dorion special.
I disagree completely. Hörnqvist was a pain to play against but he can’t stay healthy and the 15OA won’t contribute much before the Crosby / Malkin duo is done. Meanwhile Kap adds speed, PK and will probably put up 25+. Matheson will help their second pair, adds speed and can play on the power play. Adding a top 6 F and 2nd pair D while giving up a 3rd line prospect, and a couple of aging players who are breaking down physically is a clear improvement.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Refs screwed Dallas there . That was a BS call on Benn. They had there chance on the BS call on Point I guess but .. they should not be a factor especially on two terrible calls effectively in OT.

Tampa all the way... High tempo , High skill team.
Shattenkirk comes in as a hired gun and scores a big one putting Tampa up 3-1.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I always thought the embellishment thing should be more nuanced to get refs to call it more:

1. If there was a penalty on the play, but the ref believes that it was embellished by the "victim" . The "victim" gets to sit in the box for the PP. Still a PP for the "victim's" team, but the player who embellished doesn't get a chance to benefit from their "crime". Too many times you only get offsetting penalties when it is SUPER clear cut. As a result, the refs are hesitant to call embellishment. This way there is a lot less at stake, so a lot more guys would get called for diving get fined, and not get a chance to "benefit". Hopefully this would amke players less inclined to dive.

2. If there was no penalty on the play, the embellishing player should get a 2 minute minor. I know this can be called now, but I don't think I have EVER seen one because they always fall back to "offsetting penalties" .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad