Around the NHL - Episode XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's based on the guys on the ice, not sure why that's being brought up.

If it were based on guys lives outside the rink, sure, Matthews shouldn't be considered, but with what the award is for, it's just complaining.

Probably because on ice Sportsmanship and Gentlemanly conduct is so vague not to mention subjective that it's impossible for the people voting on it, given their being all the way in the press box at best, to determine who actually best exemplifies it. Was it sportsmanship or gentlemanly conduct when Matthews was chirping Sabourin by looking the back of his jersey? Honestly, I can't imagine the PHWA have any clue who is actually the most gentlemanly on the ice, I suspect they mostly go by penalty mins and who is polite to them in interviews and behind the scenes. In the end, it's bad optics, though I guess the PHWA has no stakes in the NHLs optics, so they don't actually care about it.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
It's based on the guys on the ice, not sure why that's being brought up.

If it were based on guys lives outside the rink, sure, Matthews shouldn't be considered, but with what the award is for, it's just complaining.

Yeah, no way Matthews should be up for this award.

Reactions: GCK

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, no way Matthews should be up for this award.
Sure, I 100% agree.

Using what happened in the offseason as a reason is just pushing a narrative\

He fits in line with every other winner and candidate, so there's nothing surprising about it though.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Probably because on ice Sportsmanship and Gentlemanly conduct is so vague not to mention subjective that it's impossible for the people voting on it, given their being all the way in the press box at best, to determine who actually best exemplifies it. Was it sportsmanship or gentlemanly conduct when Matthews was chirping Sabourin by looking the back of his jersey? Honestly, I can't imagine the PHWA have any clue who is actually the most gentlemanly on the ice, I suspect they mostly go by penalty mins and who is polite to them in interviews and behind the scenes. In the end, it's bad optics, though I guess the PHWA has no stakes in the NHLs optics, so they don't actually care about it.
Sure, that's a valid argument that can, and should be made.

Most gentlemanly and effective has always been a low pim, high points award, at every level all the way down to Novice. Not sure what's surprising there. That's what the Lady Bing is, and always has been. That's what the award is, a guy who takes few penalties, and puts up points. The guy with the lowest points to win since 2010 was Campbell as a D with 53, every other winner had over 70 aside from O'rTelly (who had 2 pims all year...), and the most Pims in that time frame was 16. Matthews is perfectly fine candidate using every prior winner and candidate with 80 points and 8 pims. That's what the award is.

The argument that author is pushing is one that suits her narrative, yet has nothing to do with the award, she doesn't seem to have an understanding of what the award is, and is using "sportsmanship and gentlemanly" as a spring point. Has nothing to do with off ice, has to do with being an effective player who plays within the rules on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure, that's a valid argument that can, and should be made.

Most gentlemanly and effective has always been a low pim, high points award, at every level all the way down to Novice.. Not sure what's surprising there. That's what the Lady Bing is, and always has been. That's what the award is, a guy who takes few penalties, and puts up points. The guy with the lowest points to win since 2010 was Campbell as a D with 53, every other winner had over 70 aside from O'rielly (who had 2 pims all year...), and the most Pims in that time frame was 16. Matthews is perfectly fine candidate using every prior winner and candidate.

The argument that author is pushing is one that suits her narrative, yet has nothing to do with the award

Presumably the award meant something different then when Frank Neighbor won the first two given he wasn't a high pts producer at that point in his career, and his pims while on the lower end, were not lower than his much higher scoring teammate Cy Denneny, then again, it might have just been awarded to the player whom Lady Byng herself happened to like that year.

Anyways, this is bad optics regardless, yes the twitter poster had a narrative to push, but the NHL could fix it by redefining the intent of the award to match the way it's awarded in practice.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Presumably the award meant something different then when Frank Neighbor won the first two given he wasn't a high pts producer at that point in his career, and his pims while on the lower end, were not lower than his much higher scoring teammate Cy Denneny, then again, it might have just been awarded to the player whom Lady Byng herself happened to like that year.

Anyways, this is bad optics regardless, yes the twitter poster had a narrative to push, but the NHL could fix it by redefining the intent of the award to match the way it's awarded in practice.
I see no bad optics whatsoever, though I guess I grew up understanding what that award is.

Isn’t very hard to figure it out either, only would have taken a few moments research to see what the award is about, and off ice off-season stuff is absolutely not involved whatsoever, it’s just making a fuss for the sake of making a fuss.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see no bad optics whatsoever, though I guess I grew up understanding what that award is.

Idk what to tell you, optics isn't about understanding what the award is, it's about what the public will think when they see the words "awarded to the player that exemplifies sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct" beside a news clip of his incident with a female security guard. Bad optics is about how things play out in the media and public perception, so the fact that the award has traditionally been awarded to low PIM high pts players isn't really relevant, what's relevant is the incongruity of the stated intent of the award and the incident involving him that made national headlines and how that plays in the minds of the public.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Matthews off ice behaviour should automatically ban him from this award. If he is a douche off the ice he’s a douche on the ice.
If being a douche had anything to do with the award, sure.

Marchand could go out and act like a complete wad for 82 games and get 14 PIM’s and he’d be nominated for the award.

It’s not about being a good dude, it’s about being an effective player with low pims.

Reactions: Deku

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
2 of the 3 are beyond hilarious selections, couldn't care less if these are the 2 nicest guys on the ice of all time...times change, public perception you would think would be something....tap in for Nate!

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
So I can't beleive that I'm actually going to cheer for the Leafs in round 1.

What have I become????

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's a nice award for a soft player who doesn't take penalties & can put up a fair amount of pts. Remember when the Leafs were a tough team that would not have put up with this kind of player in the past. Just another example of how soft the Leafs have become under this GM, looks good on them.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
It's a nice award for a soft player who doesn't take penalties & can put up a fair amount of pts. Remember when the Leafs were a tough team that would not have put up with this kind of player in the past. Just another example of how soft the Leafs have become under this GM, looks good on them.
Yeah man I wouldn’t put up with a 40 goal scorer either. That would be awful, having one of the best goal scorers in the league on your team. God that would suck.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Uhhh of course we want to see the Leafs win to (1) lose the shot at Lafreniere, (2) get denied that winning the play in counts as getting past the first round and most importantly (3) get absolutely decimated by the Bruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad