Around the NHL - Episode XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Boudreau fired
Just read about that. I still wish we had gone with him instead of Boucher, I don't blame him for what's happened in Minnesota, that roster is seriously flawed with most of it's key players well past their prime. I wonder if Boudreau will keep up his streak of being immediately hired every time he gets fired.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Might be remembering this wrong but wasn't Boudreau slated to be this teams coach in 2016 but then Melnyk balked at the $$$ he wanted ?

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Might be remembering this wrong but wasn't Boudreau slated to be this teams coach in 2016 but then Melnyk balked at the $$$ he wanted ?

Never officially confirmed, but yeah almost definitely. I remember Boudreau's daughter campaigning pretty openly for him to get the job here (she's a local)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Lots of speculation, but Melnyk has the infamous can he walk on water quote and the any additional spending on the coach would have to come out of something else (roster) line from that time, and there was some buzz about Boudreau wanting an extra year beyond what we were offering.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Lots of speculation, but Melnyk has the infamous can he walk on water quote and the any additional spending on the coach would have to come out of something else (roster) line from that time, and there was some buzz about Boudreau wanting an extra year beyond what we were offering.

It is impossible to separate a coach from the talent he has. I remember the late Pat Burns and his "you don't suddenly become an idiot". Coaches are at the mercy of talent. Good players, can make a coach look good. Low talent cannot be overcome.

It is why Scotty Bowman cherry picked. He understood. It is why, coach Q is being careful.

In a crazy way, Melnyk was right..he did not explain the "without talent". If you are not a well built, talented team..who cares, who coaches. All you will do is pay top dollar for loosing.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I think that coaches are overrated to be honest, just look at St-Louis you gonna tell me that Berube is the reason they won the Cup last season. No Its all about the players, they are the one playing and yes the coaching staff does have an influence on how the teams perform but its a small influence. Personally i think the GM has a bigger influence on the teams then does the coach.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think that coaches are overrated to be honest, just look at St-Louis you gonna tell me that Berube is the reason they won the Cup last season. No Its all about the players, they are the one playing and yes the coaching staff does have an influence on how the teams perform but its a small influence. Personally i think the GM has a bigger influence on the teams then does the coach.
Before Berube - 7-9-3 (last place)
After Berube - 38-19-6 (SC Champions)

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Before Berube - 7-9-3 (last place)
After Berube - 38-19-6 (SC Champions)
Yes i know that, but dont you think the players had anything to do with that? How many goals did Berubé scored or how many save did he make? Didn't Berube coach the Flyers for a couple of seasons, did they won the cup? You give Berube to much credit.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It is impossible to separate a coach from the talent he has. I remember the late Pat Burns and his "you don't suddenly become an idiot". Coaches are at the mercy of talent. Good players, can make a coach look good. Low talent cannot be overcome.

It is why Scotty Bowman cherry picked. He understood. It is why, coach Q is being careful.

In a crazy way, Melnyk was right..he did not explain the "without talent". If you are not a well built, talented team..who cares, who coaches. All you will do is pay top dollar for loosing.

At the time, we had talented players in Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, ect. We were specifically looking to contend; Dorion said why not us, why not now referring to going after the big prize.

One thing that has plagued us in the past is paying more than one coach at a time; how much did we save firing Clouston and MacLean before their contracts expired rather than get a coach that would being good enough stick around? How much did Boucher's dull system cost us in gates? Would we have won more, and in turn had better attendance with a better coach?

Coaches that get more than the sum of their parts aren't a myth, for a budget team that might be the way to go, who knows.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Yes i know that, but dont you think the players had anything to do with that? How many goals did Berubé scored or how many save did he make? Didn't Berube coach the Flyers for a couple of seasons, did they won the cup? You give Berube to much credit.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

You need both to have success. Bad coaches with great team don't win cups, neither do great coaches with bad teams.

Reactions: albator71

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That Minnesota is even close to the playoffs with that crap roster is a testament to Boudreau's system.

Two fantastic coaches in Gallant and Boudreau available. Too bad we didn't stick with Boucher for one more year.

Reactions: DJB

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That Minnesota is even close to the playoffs with that crap roster is a testament to Boudreau's system.

Two fantastic coaches in Gallant and Boudreau available. Too bad we didn't stick with Boucher for one more year.
It would be a fruitless venture. We'd all just froth at the mouths again only for Scrooge to say they don't walk on water.

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Look what Torts is doing with Columbus.

A coach is just as important as any other position on the team. Getting the right type of coach for the type of team you have will reap dividends for a decade.

Reactions: albator71

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I'd suggest his playoff record is a far more valid testament to his career.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I totally expect the Sharks to play better now and make the playoffs. :rant:

Well that would be super ironic, and if they did somehow manage that, I will be the first to cheer them on all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Now back to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->