Around the NHL - Episode XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Is there anything in the CBA about bonuses, or are we still ducked on that front?

Nothing's done til it is done but i read an article earlier this week that implies the cba adjustments will be favourable to teams like us that really can't compete on that front.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Potential CBA modifications emerging as NHL/NHLPA continue negotiations - Sportsnet.ca

There are some interesting modifications:
• No-move and no-trade clauses now travel with a player who has agreed to lift one, even if they haven’t kicked in (previously, the acquiring team had to agree).
• Players aged 35 and over can sign multi-year deals that are flat or ascending and there will be no cap hit if they retire before the deal is up (previously, the cap hit stayed no matter what).
• Year-by-year variability: six-year contracts that are front-loaded and worth at least 7.5 per cent of the cap cannot exceed 35 per cent between the highest and lowest salary amounts. Rules for other contracts remain the same (I’ve heard players and teams will consider back-loading new contracts because escrow is capped at a lower number and cash flow should improve for clubs).
• No changes to signing bonuses
*There are no more conditional picks in trades based on a player re-signing with the acquiring team. For example, the New Jersey Devils’ current third-rounder from Arizona in the Taylor Hall deal upgrades if he re-signs with the Coyotes. Agents and NHLPA staff felt it hurt players’ value.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Potential CBA modifications emerging as NHL/NHLPA continue negotiations - Sportsnet.ca

There are some interesting modifications:
• No-move and no-trade clauses now travel with a player who has agreed to lift one, even if they haven’t kicked in (previously, the acquiring team had to agree).
• Players aged 35 and over can sign multi-year deals that are flat or ascending and there will be no cap hit if they retire before the deal is up (previously, the cap hit stayed no matter what).
• Year-by-year variability: six-year contracts that are front-loaded and worth at least 7.5 per cent of the cap cannot exceed 35 per cent between the highest and lowest salary amounts. Rules for other contracts remain the same (I’ve heard players and teams will consider back-loading new contracts because escrow is capped at a lower number and cash flow should improve for clubs).
• No changes to signing bonuses
*There are no more conditional picks in trades based on a player re-signing with the acquiring team. For example, the New Jersey Devils’ current third-rounder from Arizona in the Taylor Hall deal upgrades if he re-signs with the Coyotes. Agents and NHLPA staff felt it hurt players’ value.

That is the most interesting part of the trade.

I don't think it will result in players getting more in trades. Maybe slightly more, but teams aren't going to give up that extra pick that was originally conditional on re-signing. We're never going to see someone trade a Bahl, two 1sts, and other pieces for a mid-season rental. It just won't happen.

What this probably leads to, would be teams zeroing in on moving players to teams they will agree in principle to an extension with at the time of the trade. Basically, what happened when Vegas acquired both Pacioretty and Stone. While they paid nowhere near full value for the players (at the time, now arguably MTL's package is worth more), they still gave up greater assets than most teams would move for a typical rental.

So from that perspective, it is a win for the players (increased odds of an extension facilitated in a trade), but a loss for GMs trying to get value for players they are selling off. On the flip side, it might be a win for teams acquiring stars, who have the ability to re-sign them down the line because they won't end up paying as much overall in assets.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Is Eugene in charge of CBA extension talks, with 10% deferrals and High escrow which declines in future years this sets up for his favourite backloaded deals.

Tkachuk at 3, 5, 7, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9 is the same as 7.5M x 8 years.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I still would be okay with this stupid 24 playoff format getting cancelled.

In my eyes, it is not the stanley cup playoffs. By the time the games actually start, it would have been 2 months before the next season would have started.

Stanley cup my f***ing ass. It is a world cup of hockey/olympics tournament in my eyes.

Instead of a gold medal, it will just be a giant silver cup.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lindy Ruff has always been a pretty good coach & should really help NJ take that next step. NJ along with Ottawa also has three 1st rd picks & are in a position to get three very good players including Askarov who could turn into a superstar for them.

Reactions: Tuna99

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Lindy Ruff has always been a pretty good coach & should really help NJ take that next step. NJ along with Ottawa also has three 1st rd picks & are in a position to get three very good players including Askarov who could turn into a superstar for them.
Or Askarov could play his whole career in the KHL, or Askarov could develop into a good NHL backup, or he could become a legit starter in the NHL by 2026.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Or Askarov could play his whole career in the KHL, or Askarov could develop into a good NHL backup, or he could become a legit starter in the NHL by 2026.
All possible, but he is ranked just behind the top 10 in a very good deep draft for a reason & rated as the best goalie prospect since Price. It's far more likely he becomes a pretty good starter in the NHL, some team will take him & a number of teams ranked 7th to 13th could all use a future superstar goalie including Ottawa. It won't surprise me to see NJ take him at 7th or 1oth OA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Upgrayedd

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
All possible, but he is ranked just behind the top 10 in a very good deep draft for a reason & rated as the best goalie prospect since Price. It's far more likely he becomes a pretty good starter in the NHL, some team will take him & a number of teams ranked 7th t0 13th could all use a future superstar goalie including Ottawa. It won't surprise me to see NJ take him at 7th or 1oth OA.
Let me put it this way, if you offered me the 13th pick in this draft or Carey Price’s career from 2005 on I would likely take the 13th pick even knowing what I would get for the next 15 years.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Let me put it this way, if you offered me the 13th pick in this draft or Carey Price’s career from 2005 on I would likely take the 13th pick even knowing what I would get for the next 15 years.

given what we have in the prospect bank, the young NHL talent and 3 and 5, if you guaranteed me Price's career form 2005, I'd take Askarov without question. The only problem with Price's career is that he has masked problems in Montreal, always making them more competitive than they otherwise would have been

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not a Carey Price fan ... noted. I think if the Habs would have built a bigger tougher team instead of a small speedy soft team they may have gone somewhere, but can never get quite good enough to get very far. They always over sell & under deliver, similar to the Sens a number of yrs ago.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not a Carey Price fan ... noted. I think if the Habs would have built a bigger tougher team instead of a small speedy soft team they may have gone somewhere, but can never get quite good enough to get very far. They always over sell & under deliver, similar to the Sens a number of yrs ago.
IMO no goalies is worth over 10% of the cap which is where Price has been on his last 2 contracts. There is such minimal difference in value from average to elite NHL goalies that I consider the cost absurd.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Montreal's biggest issue throughout the Price era was a lack of a 1C.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
IMO no goalies is worth over 10% of the cap which is where Price has been on his last 2 contracts. There is such minimal difference in value from average to elite NHL goalies that I consider the cost absurd.
To be fair, Price averaged about 9% of the Cap from 2012-2018, getting closer to the 8% mark towards the end that period, while from 2005-2012 he was on an entry level for 3 years and getting paid like 4% of the cap for his bridge contract. So for the majority of his tenure he was either severely underpaid, or I'd say below his value. And those where the competitive Cup runs. I'd say Price's Cap history actually shows the ideal way to manage superstars, while they should've possibly done the EK and offered him 8x8 and traded him to a sucker after to sign him to that monstrosity instead.

That is to say, I would take a world class goalie for 10 years at an underpayment for 5 years, and fair caphit for 5 years any day. Montreal's only mistake was that last contract. And you can equate that to Bobby Ryan's contract. Desperation move so fans don't revolt, and theirs was even more of a no brainer considering sentimental value of the player. Meanwhile, Ottawa could have probably risked low balling Ryan a bit and have him walk if we'd kept Alfie and gave him his 10 mil over 2 years or whatever it was he was asking. It's stupid but fun to speculate that we'd have kept Silfverberg too if we'd have kept Alfie.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Montreal's biggest issue throughout the Price era was a lack of a 1C.

Montreal has always liked small speedy soft little players & it has cost them time & time again. Centre has also been a position of weakness, especially a big centre, but Price was considered the best goalie in the league for a while. It's Montreal management's fault they didn't put together a better team in front of him, it's why they acquired Webber to get bigger & tougher. Also this need to acquire francophone players like Drouin has hurt them. We don't have to look far to see how not to build a team.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The opt outs of a return to play are starting. So far i've heard Baertschi and Hamonic not playing. Betting odds could be volatile as heck this year.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Montreal has always liked small speedy soft little players & it has cost them time & time again. Centre has also been a position of weakness, especially a big centre, but Price was considered the best goalie in the league for a while. It's Montreal management's fault they didn't put together a better team in front of him, it's why they acquired Webber to get bigger & tougher. Also this need to acquire francophone players like Drouin has hurt them. We don't have to look far to see how not to build a team.

I'm not convinced that it is necessarily that they like small speedy players, sometimes that's just what pans out. They've drafted some bigger players that had a sniff but didn't pan out. McCarron, De La Rose and Tinordi come to mind as relatively recent big guys that just never developed as hoped.

I agree it's management's fault though and also on the francophone players.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
At first when i heard the talk of capping escrow for a couple of years, i wondered: were the owners going to cover the over payments? I quickly came to blush over my naivete.

If they cant finish these playoffs, that's a lot of lost revenue that will be rolled over each year for escrow to pay back capped at 15% a year until its recovered. That could mean a pretty flat cap for more than a couple of years. There's a lot at stake to finish these playoffs. I guess seeing where the sens are now in the development cycle, id probably be ok with several to seven years of flat cap. It would surely be hard on the league though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->