Around The NHL Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Given how the NHL has acted around Melnyk's antics (Ottawa owner)... I don’t think there is going to be a push for a change in ownership.

Melnyk often drew the spotlight with poor optics for the league and hasn't been publicly denounced. This in spite some major red flags around his former charity (who walked away from the partnership), a series of media fiascos around his proposed arena, some questions around potential bankruptcy and him almost single handedly forcing all the stars out of Ottawa...
Very true. I don’t expect a change unless the Pegulas decided to sell, but regardless it still doesn’t negate the need for an ownership change.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I actually feel bad for Buffalo fans right now. They have some real good pieces but there has also been some cataclysmically bad decisions by their management. From trading RoR for peanuts, to letting Skinner signing, to some questionable coaching choices. Now it looks like not 1 but 3 of their key pieces are looking for the door and other teams fans are circling like vultures.

I won't even entertain the idea of Eichel because I don't see any feasible way for St. Louis to pull it off. Reinhart and Risto on the other hand I would keep an eye on because we never know what is going to happen with guys like Schwartz and Parayko this next few off seasons.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I actually feel bad for Buffalo fans right now. They have some real good pieces but there has also been some cataclysmically bad decisions by their management. From trading RoR for peanuts, to letting Skinner signing, to some questionable coaching choices. Now it looks like not 1 but 3 of their key pieces are looking for the door and other teams fans are circling like vultures.

I won't even entertain the idea of Eichel because I don't see any feasible way for St. Louis to pull it off. Reinhart and Risto on the other hand I would keep an eye on because we never know what is going to happen with guys like Schwartz and Parayko this next few off seasons.
I’d be interested in Reinhart, but Ristolainen is a train wreck defensively.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Eichel is out I highly doubt Reinhart will be dealt and we might even see big contract for Reinhart which could be another bad move for them just looking this year stats on Reinhart and not compare it previous years.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
God help any player being delt to Buffalo. Death sentence...

Ask Patrik Berglund. Sobotka also got outta there as fast as he could. Clearly they have issues with management, but at what point does a guy like Eichel need to take his share of the blame? The Oilers have been underwhelming since McDavid arrived, yet he keeps doing his thing regardless of where the Oilers finish. Why can't Eichel rise above the crappy situation and help the team get better results? Management isn't responsible for the 2 goals Eichel scored in 21 games this year, or the 2 goals Taylor Hall scored in 37 games. Reinhart has somehow managed 25 goals, so it's not impossible to score on the Sabres.

Maybe Krueger wasn't a great choice, but I heard some players say in past interviews they think he's a good player's coach. They brought in Hall and Staal last offseason, so management clearly hoped to compete for the playoffs this year. Skinner's contract is abhorrent, but it at least shows they are actively trying to improve the team even though their decisions haven't worked out well. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around, but why shouldn't guys like Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, etc be criticised as well? One of the reasons Buffalo might need another re-build is that the current crop of high draft picks isn't getting it done.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis

Apparently, from what I have read Risto has made some real strong strides on the defensive side of things these last few season. He is definitely not shut down guy but the more I think about it was Bouwmeester wasn't exactly known for defense before coming to the Blues. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't pay assets to trade for him but if he hit UFA in 2022 and Colton indicates he wants to test the market he could be a decent back up plan. We know he has size (which Army loves on the backend) it would just be about getting him to commit to the defensive side of the game. Just think about Justin Faulk, who isn't known for the defensive side of things, this year he has arguably been our best defender.

Again, this is all just random speculation on my part to fill the time until playoffs start.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
The market isn't the problem, Buffalo is a great hockey market. The problem is the people calling the shots.
Yeah, let’s not start sounding like the numbskulls when they accused us of not being a good football town.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Ask Patrik Berglund. Sobotka also got outta there as fast as he could. Clearly they have issues with management, but at what point does a guy like Eichel need to take his share of the blame? The Oilers have been underwhelming since McDavid arrived, yet he keeps doing his thing regardless of where the Oilers finish. Why can't Eichel rise above the crappy situation and help the team get better results? Management isn't responsible for the 2 goals Eichel scored in 21 games this year, or the 2 goals Taylor Hall scored in 37 games. Reinhart has somehow managed 25 goals, so it's not impossible to score on the Sabres.

Maybe Krueger wasn't a great choice, but I heard some players say in past interviews they think he's a good player's coach. They brought in Hall and Staal last offseason, so management clearly hoped to compete for the playoffs this year. Skinner's contract is abhorrent, but it at least shows they are actively trying to improve the team even though their decisions haven't worked out well. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around, but why shouldn't guys like Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, etc be criticised as well? One of the reasons Buffalo might need another re-build is that the current crop of high draft picks isn't getting it done.

I like this post a lot. Some very strong truth.
Remember when ROR was a cancer in the locker room. Maybe it was Eichel.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

He had also injured his ribs working out in the preseason and had the classic "lower-body injury" earlier in the year as well. He wasn't at 100% at any point this year. I would say Eichel has been criticized plenty over the past couple of years going back to when it was reported he wouldn't sign an extension if Bylsma was the coach, to the ROR trade, and everything in-between. Even the threads now, there's folks telling him to just shut up and play, he's not the GM, etc. You can also add ROR to the list of players who couldn't drag Buffalo out of the dregs along with the guys you named above and look at what happened when he came to a functioning NHL franchise. ROR took a ton of flack for his "lost passion for the game" comment but he clearly wasn't alone in those feelings, and now you are seeing it among Ristolainen, Eichel, and Reinhart. Obviously you can't absolve the players of any fault in this mess, but it's clear there is a deep, institutional rot there. Maybe you could say Eichel shouldn't put so much of this out in the press (I don't think it's a big deal, but the NHL is averse to any player saying anything ever). Fair enough. But, the failures of that franchise lay predominantly at the feet of the Pegulas and the front offices they have installed over their 10 (!!) years of incompetence.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He had also injured his ribs working out in the preseason and had the classic "lower-body injury" earlier in the year as well. He wasn't at 100% at any point this year. I would say Eichel has been criticized plenty over the past couple of years going back to when it was reported he wouldn't sign an extension if Bylsma was the coach, to the ROR trade, and everything in-between. Even the threads now, there's folks telling him to just shut up and play, he's not the GM, etc. You can also add ROR to the list of players who couldn't drag Buffalo out of the dregs along with the guys you named above and look at what happened when he came to a functioning NHL franchise. ROR took a ton of flack for his "lost passion for the game" comment but he clearly wasn't alone in those feelings, and now you are seeing it among Ristolainen, Eichel, and Reinhart. Obviously you can't absolve the players of any fault in this mess, but it's clear there is a deep, institutional rot there. Maybe you could say Eichel shouldn't put so much of this out in the press (I don't think it's a big deal, but the NHL is averse to any player saying anything ever). Fair enough. But, the failures of that franchise lay predominantly at the feet of the Pegulas and the front offices they have installed over their 10 (!!) years of incompetence.

That's definitely fair. It doesn't seem for a lack of trying, but there does seem to be something wrong there for sure. I will admit when I made my earlier post I forgot about the more recent injury issue which Eichel commented on. If a team is telling a guy how he should manage his personal health, that's a far bigger issue than any roster-related issues. And if the Sabres really did try to pressure Eichel to play when he felt he needed surgury, I can see why that might be the last straw for him.

Perhaps he is getting plenty of criticism, I guess I don't follow the situation that closely. Eichel has had some injury issues which have slowed his progress. But from my perspective he hasn't shown me enough on a consistent basis to be in the highest tier of superstars in the league. That could change however, he has the talent. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he reaches that level with his new team. I guess the part that rubbed me the wrong way was throwing the franchise completely under the bus, but the injury thing is a major part of it that I had overlooked earlier.

Not sure what the Sabres issue is. Maybe they just sabotaged their own rebuild by going for expensive quick fix options like Skinner and Hall. Okposo hasn't lived up to the money but he used to be a beast. Seems to me that their lack of success isn't because they aren't trying, but rather every big move they make seems to blow up in their faces. I mean they gave Hall $8 million for a year, and he got 2 goals all year? Most snakebit franchise in hockey, if not all of sports. No excuse for the ROR trade however, that's on them.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
...he hasn't shown me enough on a consistent basis to be in the highest tier of superstars in the league. That could change however, he has the talent. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he reaches that level with his new team. ...
Last season he was on pace for 94 points as a 23 year old. Assuming he stays healthy, I don't think there is any question that he will rack up 400-450 points in the last five years of his current contract, especially surrounded by a good team. I don't know that there are 9 other players in the league you could say that about, meaning he is at least a Top 10 talent.

He may not be in the highest tier, but I think he's a guy you do whatever it takes to get, even if it means making some uncomfortable roster decisions. By that I mean that I know plenty of people on this board would be hesitant to move on from Thomas, but I don't believe Thomas will ever be the player that Eichel already is, and Eichel is young enough that he can still be getting better. I would trade Thomas + + + + for Eichel and not lose a wink of sleep over it. First round picks? It would be a pipe dream to believe that a team that still professes to have its Cup window open for the next few years would hit a 20-32 overall pick hard enough to come anywhere close to landing a player of Eichel's caliber. Again, I part with a couple of firsts without a second thought if that's what it takes to land Eichel.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
Wonder if Tarasenko would waive his no trade for Buffalo for an Eichel trade? Maybe we could ask him "Hey Vlad, how would you like to play in New York?" and then later say "Oh, did we not mention it was BUFFALO, New York?"

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Wonder if Tarasenko would waive his no trade for Buffalo for an Eichel trade? Maybe we could ask him "Hey Vlad, how would you like to play in New York?" and then later say "Oh, did we not mention it was BUFFALO, New York?"
Or ask him if he wants to play for a team that plays Canadian anthem before every game.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Krueger was a huge detriment to the team. Despite him being a soccer coach and barely having any experience coaching hockey, his practices would have the players essentially doing their own thing. There was no accountability to passing, shooting, or any set up plays which you could clearly see when you watched games. Don Granato has been a god send from the disaster that Krueger was. Buffalo may not be good at all and they definitely wont be good next year, but they are at least competitive and have started scoring at even strength much better than they had earlier in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad