Around The NHL Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Last season he was on pace for 94 points as a 23 year old. Assuming he stays healthy, I don't think there is any question that he will rack up 400-450 points in the last five years of his current contract, especially surrounded by a good team. I don't know that there are 9 other players in the league you could say that about, meaning he is at least a Top 10 talent.

He may not be in the highest tier, but I think he's a guy you do whatever it takes to get, even if it means making some uncomfortable roster decisions. By that I mean that I know plenty of people on this board would be hesitant to move on from Thomas, but I don't believe Thomas will ever be the player that Eichel already is, and Eichel is young enough that he can still be getting better. I would trade Thomas + + + + for Eichel and not lose a wink of sleep over it. First round picks? It would be a pipe dream to believe that a team that still professes to have its Cup window open for the next few years would hit a 20-32 overall pick hard enough to come anywhere close to landing a player of Eichel's caliber. Again, I part with a couple of firsts without a second thought if that's what it takes to land Eichel.

In terms of stats and skill he is right up there, but there's more to the game than that. Can he take it to the next level and be the main guy on a contending team, or is he just going to be a regular season player? I guess only time will tell. I certainly think he can get there, and don't disagree that his value would be sky high if/when he's traded. I'm just wondering if he'll take it to the next level like a MacKinnon or will be be more like Seguin, who can put up awesome stats but I don't see as a elite all-around player. I guess Eichel is in a similar boat as Dubois. So much talent but we haven't seen them on the big stage much yet.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
In terms of stats and skill he is right up there, but there's more to the game than that. Can he take it to the next level and be the main guy on a contending team, or is he just going to be a regular season player? I guess only time will tell. I certainly think he can get there, and don't disagree that his value would be sky high if/when he's traded. I'm just wondering if he'll take it to the next level like a MacKinnon or will be be more like Seguin, who can put up awesome stats but I don't see as a elite all-around player. I guess Eichel is in a similar boat as Dubois. So much talent but we haven't seen them on the big stage much yet.
I guess part of my point, though it didn't appear in my post, is that if we brought him into this environment he wouldn't need to be the "main guy", he would just need to focus on being the best teammate and player he can be and let the leadership thing happen organically. I think he is an example of why it's not always a good idea to make your "superstar" the captain just because he is the best player. Some players need to work their way into that role and, frankly, some players will never be leaders no matter how good they are at the other things.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I think that if the NHL adds two more teams to the Central Time Zone (and thus division, moving Arizona back to the Pacific), they might be in Milwaukee and Kansas City.

Houston is a preferred stop for many, but it would have to be owned by the Rockets owner. So I don't know if that will work out.

Kansas City and Milwaukee might be easier. For starters, the former would give the Blues an in-state rival, while the latter team would be rivals based on the rivalry between the cities in beer (like what defines the Blues' rivalry with the Avalanche).

Reactions: Ridge1982

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I think that if the NHL adds two more teams to the Central Time Zone (and thus division, moving Arizona back to the Pacific), they might be in Milwaukee and Kansas City.

Houston is a preferred stop for many, but it would have to be owned by the Rockets owner. So I don't know if that will work out.

Kansas City and Milwaukee might be easier. For starters, the former would give the Blues an in-state rival, while the latter team would be rivals based on the rivalry between the cities in beer (like what defines the Blues' rivalry with the Avalanche).
Milwaukee is also like 2 hours from Chicago, so there’s a rivalry there too

Reactions: Ridge1982

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I guess part of my point, though it didn't appear in my post, is that if we brought him into this environment he wouldn't need to be the "main guy", he would just need to focus on being the best teammate and player he can be and let the leadership thing happen organically. I think he is an example of why it's not always a good idea to make your "superstar" the captain just because he is the best player. Some players need to work their way into that role and, frankly, some players will never be leaders no matter how good they are at the other things.

Absolutely, I was just speaking in general. He'd be a massive addition to any team, though I can't realistically see the Blues offering the best package for him. I have heard the Rangers and Kings as potential suitors and both destinations make a lot of sense as they have a ton of prospects to trade.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Here is a thought, but if the Blues had traded the same package we did to Buffalo and got Eichel instead of ROR would we have won the cup?

I think Eichel maybe more naturally talented, but I question his drive and leadership more then a little.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Here is a thought, but if the Blues had traded the same package we did to Buffalo and got Eichel instead of ROR would we have won the cup?

I think Eichel maybe more naturally talented, but I question his drive and leadership more then a little.

No we would not have won the cup. ROR has a different kind of compete level. I think he hates losing more than he likes winning.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Holy Cannoli!

The Canucks and Flames have to finish off their regular season while the postseason is rolling.

Luckily the games don’t matter.

Reactions: mk80

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Milwaukee is also like 2 hours from Chicago, so there’s a rivalry there too
Kansas City has never supported hockey well. Two NHL teams failed there, and even being one of the largest metro areas in USA, they don't even have an AHL team, because of that. They only have an East Coast Hockey League team, despite having an excellent NHL-ready arena for many years. Milwaukee might be a decent spot for the next expansion, along with Quebec. But, I doubt that The NHL will try K.C. again, soon.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Boy is it good to see that team lose
It would really be nice to see The Wild win that series and The Blues play them. The Blues match up well with the Wild, like The Wild do with Vegas. I see The Blues beating The Wild, if Perron doesn't miss any games, and Parayko isn't hampered too much by his back problem, even if Tarasenko doesn't play much, or is still ineffective.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Is the Vegas hate very new? I f***ing hate the Wild and their fans, I thought we all did. What did Vegas ever do to be hated? The fact that they’re good?
I’m with you on the Wild.

Although I really don’t have a reason. I’m petty, but I really don’t like them.

Reactions: KirkOut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad