Around The NHL Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I have to give credit Rags. They arent exactly physical team and they knew they wont be ahead of fighting vs Caps players,still they fight. Hats off.

The Rangers aren't particularly good at anything.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
More I watch this game, the more I think that by the end of the game a Ranger is going to try to seriously injure Wilson.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
This is a f***ing gong show. None of this shit would've happened if the NHL just suspended Wilson like they should've done in the first place.

The entire Department of player safety is a bloody joke, it needs to be burned down and rebuilt. There's so many things that I would do differently.
I get that it's potentially difficult to put in place objective criteria, because not every situation is the same. I just cannot understand though how Wilson's actions were merely fine-worthy. I can't understand how Stone didn't get anything for the kind of blindside hit the league has said it wants out of the game. There's probably 25 other things I'd have parked someone for this season that didn't even get a fine. When guys know they'll probably get away with it, they'll roll the dice figuring they'll also get away with it - and right now, they're right. They will, especially with a rank moron like Parros making decisions. Again, proof that "book smart" (which Parros allegedly is) doesn't mean "common sense smart" (which Parros clearly is not) and that some people have a way of failing their way upwards no matter how much they try to show they barely merit responsibility to hold the ground down.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It’s amazing that the NHL hired Parros in the first place. He was a rat of a player. And that qualifies him for the job why?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It’s amazing that the NHL hired Parros in the first place. He was a rat of a player. And that qualifies him for the job why?
He's allegedly really smart. He had a really high GPA from Harvard, where at least 90% of students graduate with honors - which calls into question how hard it really is to have a high GPA there. Throw in the NHL's increasing move toward a jockocracy, and it's not difficult to see how so many ex-players land cushy jobs around the league for which many are grossly unqualified.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
You would be a bad coach and should be fired.

Dumb.

Shit like Tom Wilson is why the league needs players like Tony Twist. It's clear as day the NHL won't do anything about him so it's left to the players.

Yep. Waiting for NYR to fire the coach over their response tonight.

And oh look, no one is paying attention to the game tonight..... Rating not helped at all.

:sarcasm:

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
Man, I DETEST the Capitals now. There’s no excuse for what happened in that game. I hope anyone they play beats them and I hope the Rangers run them all night.

Reactions: RORbacon

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
He's allegedly really smart. He had a really high GPA from Harvard, where at least 90% of students graduate with honors - which calls into question how hard it really is to have a high GPA there. Throw in the NHL's increasing move toward a jockocracy, and it's not difficult to see how so many ex-players land cushy jobs around the league for which many are grossly unqualified.
I thought it was Princeton? Doesn’t matter, same thing.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I thought it was Princeton? Doesn’t matter, same thing.
It was Princeton - as 2 of my kids went to great lengths to point out to me. So, strike Harvard and put Princeton there. The rest of my post stands.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
You can still act like an idiot with an Ivy League education. Book smarts does not equate to common sense.

One of the “smartest” people I know pissed away a perfect ACT and an aerospace engineering degree so he could go lay concrete. His rationalization was he didn’t have to think too hard, could do drugs and not worry about passing a drug test and that was ultimately better than aerospace engineering.

I have nothing against the trades by the way, but shit work as an aerospace engineer for 5-10 years make some bank and then pour as much concrete as your heart desires.

Anyway tangent over.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
In other news, it’s looking pretty likely McDavid is going to hit 100 points in a 56 game season. You can knock the division if you like, but I still think that only goes so far. Just an incredible season from him.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
In other news, it’s looking pretty likely McDavid is going to hit 100 points in a 56 game season. You can knock the division if you like, but I still think that only goes so far. Just an incredible season from him.
I’ve said it before, I’d almost cry if we ever got a player THAT good.

Maybe we should tank for Bedard in a few years? Lol

Reactions: The Note

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

I’ve said it before, I’d almost cry if we ever got a player THAT good.

Maybe we should tank for Bedard in a few years? Lol

Asterisk the size of a beach-ball and forever tainted in my opinion. No WAY does he deserve to be compared to the players who scored at 150pts or more in a season. Those players had to perform against every team in the league. Put up points against all 10 of the top-10 defenses in the league. Convert on power-plays against the 10 best PK-clubs in the league. McDavid gets to feast on teams that maybe between the 7 of them could ice a decent defensive core. I'm about as impressed with McDavids 100 points or Matthews 67-goal pace as I would be a B+ rated bowel movement. The fact that both guys are statistically crushing the "league" speaks volumes. Get back to me when either of these guys approaches about 80% of what they're doing this year once the league gets back to normal.

That's not to say either of these guys aren't the best players in the world either. Just that their statistics shouldn't be equally valued compared to the other divisions, or other seasons.

Last edited:

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Asterisk the size of a beach-ball and forever tainted in my opinion. No WAY does he deserve to be compared to the players who scored at 150pts or more in a season. Those players had to perform against every team in the league. Put up points against all 10 of the top-10 defenses in the league. Convert on power-plays against the 10 best PK-clubs in the league. McDavid gets to feast on teams that maybe between the 7 of them could ice a decent defensive core. I'm about as impressed with McDavids 100 points or Matthews 67-goal pace as I would be a B+ rated bowel movement. The fact that both guys are statistically crushing the "league" speaks volumes. Get back to me when either of these guys approaches about 80% of what they're doing this year once the league gets back to normal.

That's not to say either of these guys aren't the best players in the world either. Just that their statistics shouldn't be equally valued compared to the other divisions, or other seasons.

Every team in the league had worse defense and goaltending back then even compared to the North division. On top of that, something tells me that McDavid's point totals wouldn't be taking much of a hit with more games vs the bottom 5 of the West and bottom 4 of the central, but that's just me.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

McDavid is a year removed from 97 points in 64 games (1.51 points/game). Two years removed from 116 in 78 (1.48 points/game). This year he is sitting at 1.82 pts/g .It's not like he hasn't done anything up to this point and is suddenly putting up numbers. I think you can say a bit of this is getting to play Vancouver and Ottawa a lot, but that doesn't account for just how thoroughly he is outpacing the rest of the league. You could take away his power play points and he would still be 7th in the league in scoring. He's probably not going to ever break 150 points because that doesn't happen anymore, because goaltending and team systems are lightyears beyond what Gretzky et. all faced. You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're underselling a great season.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Well the time frame you specified had a year where being exactly a point-per-game was going to potentially put you in the top-60 in points.

So your right, comparing what McDavid is doing to those years is unfair because McDavid might have been 200 point player in those times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If instead of EIGHT games against each of the Senators, Flames, Canadiens, Jets, Canucks he’s forced to play a regular schedule he’s not sitting anywhere near 1.82 pts/game. The jump from 1.48 to 1.51 is reasonable; but he’s now 20% higher than that and there’s no way it’s just because of his evolution as a hockey player. I’d venture to guess this season will prove to be anomalies and career highs for both guys and they’ll come back to pre-2021 levels as soon as this ridiculous format is purged.

Reactions: BlueMed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad