Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Florida
Nashville
Pittsburgh
St Louis
Tampa

If we only play divisional games for a year, you could do a lot worse. Nice to keep the rivalry games with Chicago. There are actually a decent number of mid-tier teams the Blues should be able to beat more often than not. Tampa and Colorado are the class of the league, but I’d rather play Tampa for a year. There are only 3 Western conference teams in the division, which is actually kind of appealing to me.

The Western Division is the weakest of the 4 by a lot:

Anaheim
Arizona
Colorado
Dallas
LA
Minnesota
San Jose
Vegas

A lot of rebuilding teams concentrated together.

If 4 teams from each division make the playoffs, I’d put the top 5 contenders on each side as:

Tampa
St Louis
Columbus
Florida
Pittsburgh

and

Colorado
Vegas
Dallas
Umm.....Arizona
And......hmmm. San Jose, what the hell?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
So the rumored division for the Blues is:

Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Florida
Nashville
Pittsburgh
St Louis
Tampa

If we only play divisional games for a year, you could do a lot worse. Nice to keep the rivalry games with Chicago. There are actually a decent number of mid-tier teams the Blues should be able to beat more often than not. Tampa and Colorado are the class of the league, but I’d rather play Tampa for a year. There are only 3 Western conference teams in the division, which is actually kind of appealing to me.

Anaheim
Arizona
Colorado
Dallas
LA
Minnesota
San Jose
Vegas

If 4 teams from each division make the playoffs, I’d put the top 5 contenders on each side as:

Tampa
St Louis
Columbus
Florida
Pittsburgh

and

Colorado
Vegas
Dallas
Umm.....Arizona
It will at least be a really interesting division.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Florida
Nashville
Pittsburgh
St Louis
Tampa

Anaheim
Arizona
Colorado
Dallas
LA
Minnesota
San Jose
Vegas

Tampa
St Louis
Columbus
Florida
Pittsburgh

and

Colorado
Vegas
Dallas
Umm.....Arizona
I really appreciate your optimism, but I am afraid I do not share it. I can see us really struggling to make the top four in that division. I certainly wouldn't put us in 2nd place. We are in a weird spot this upcoming season, as we no longer have the smothering defense that allows us to shut down the high flyers like Tampa and Pittsburgh, (and to a lesser extent Florida and Columbus), but at the same time, we don't have the horses on offense to keep up with them. Perhaps if we added Hoffman we could compete in the run and gun game. Ultimately, I think everything is going to hinge on Binnington. If he returns to his SC winning form we have a chance. If not, I can see us missing the playoffs.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I really appreciate your optimism, but I am afraid I do not share it. I can see us really struggling to make the top four in that division. I certainly wouldn't put us in 2nd place. We are in a weird spot this upcoming season, as we no longer have the smothering defense that allows us to shut down the high flyers like Tampa and Pittsburgh, (and to a lesser extent Florida and Columbus), but at the same time, we don't have the horses on offense to keep up with them. Perhaps if we added Hoffman we could compete in the run and gun game. Ultimately, I think everything is going to hinge on Binnington. If he returns to his SC winning form we have a chance. If not, I can see us missing the playoffs.

My thoughts exactly.

Another thing that I'm wondering, I've been optimistic about a season starting in January but now my optimism is kind of waning as each day gets closer to January 1. Unless I missed something in the last few days, There were disagreements between the NHL and the PA they haven't met in a few days, unless they get something worked out And from what I read today that some Blue Jackets and Vegas players tested positive. I don't think there will be a season.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I didn’t place the teams in a predicted order of finishing, just picked a top 5. Other than Tampa 1st, I didn’t really give a lot of thought to finishing order. But the Blues should be a strong contender for the top 4.

It will be a bit of a bummer not to face Vegas, after the free agency proceedings.

Pittsburgh is going to struggle I think. They’re on the downward slope of their window and haven’t adequately addressed the issues. I think Columbus is more likely to finish ahead of them.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
My thoughts exactly.

Another thing that I'm wondering, I've been optimistic about a season starting in January but now my optimism is kind of waning as each day gets closer to January 1. Unless I missed something in the last few days, There were disagreements between the NHL and the PA they haven't met in a few days, unless they get something worked out And from what I read today that some Blue Jackets and Vegas players tested positive. I don't think there will be a season.
I think the idea of canceling the season is nuts. The vaccine will begin to be available next month and increasingly available each month after. They’ll probably be able to start having limited numbers of fans at the games before the season is over. Just because there is a spike in Covid cases during the winter doesn’t meant the whole season is threatened...it’s a lot longer than the winter.

And the CBA is already in place. The revenue projections are a lot lower, and the mechanisms in place will claw money back from the players one way or another, to get to the 50% revenue share. The owners are asking the players to voluntarily make the numbers closer this year by deferring more salary and/or increasing the escrow. It’s not clear this is a dealbreaker either way. Personally I think it’s kind of ridiculous for the players to stick later seasons’ young players with a claw-back penalty to their earnings so they can get more now. The way I understand it, the guys that retire before that are benefitting at the expense of the players who will be playing then. My point is that I think the owners are making a reasonable request. I’m just confused why they would have signed off to the CBA a few months ago if these projections were of concern.

I agree with you about questioning the start date. It feels like some things would need to have been settled long enough to allow players coming from overseas and the teams that are promised extra training camp time to have their schedules. It feels like we need to start hearing some firm dates soon if January is likely.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If that indeed turns out to be the Blues’ division I think you can pretty solidly slot them in the top 3 behind Tampa and however you view them compared to Pittsburgh. I’d probably put Pittsburgh ahead of them, but think the Blues should still probably pretty easily make the playoffs barring the goaltending being a total calamity. For shits and gigs:
Tampa

Pittsburgh
Blues
CBJ
Nashville, I guess

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Detroit
Chicago
Florida
Columbus
Nashville

I wouldn’t put any of those teams ahead of the Blues for preseason predictions. More than likely, at least one of them will exceed expectations and take a step forward, but on paper the Blues should be ahead of them.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
If that is the Blues division I see them being in the top 3 behind Tampa. The Penguins are a wildcard for me as they're on the downward side of their window but I still see them in the top 3 just behind the Blues as the Lightning are the top of the class and a few steps above everyone else.

I see the Blues being a wildcard team and making the playoffs, whether they'll get past the first round, Its doubtful as the Blues just don't have the defense to defend against the offences of the Tampa's and Pittsburgh's of the world. Sure they will be fine during the regular season but the playoffs are a whole different ballgame.

Tampa

Blues
Penguins
Blue Jackets

If the teams are playing within their division like the rumors suggest it will be disappointing not facing Vegas cause I just want Petro to return so he can have his tribute. Just get it done and over with so we can end that chapter and turning of the page.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Florida
Nashville
Pittsburgh
St Louis
Tampa

Anaheim
Arizona
Colorado
Dallas
LA
Minnesota
San Jose
Vegas

Tampa
St Louis
Columbus
Florida
Pittsburgh

and

Colorado
Vegas
Dallas
Umm.....Arizona

Thanks for sharing this, I've been busy with final exam prep for my training - haven't been in the loop for hockey occurrences in the past few weeks...

I don't agree with you for either division's qualifiers.

In no particular order

Western Division
Dallas
LA/Minnesota
Colorado
Vegas

Our Division
Columbus
Tampa
St Louis
Florida/Nashville/Pittsburgh

LA was rolling before the pause, and they've got several young up and comers who looked good in their laat month. Minnesota has made some bold moves, including turfing Dubnyk and inserting Kaprisov into their lineup should give them a new look. If they had a proven 2C, I'd put them 4th in division and call my top 4 now, instead of having them at 4/5.

Our div... Well, we're not the top team in the division and we're not one of the bottom 2 either. But I'd place us at 3-5 behind Tampa and Columbus without hesitation. The problem is I don't know how to rank Pittsburgh, Nashville and Florida each of them have 2/3 solids - be it netminding, forwards or defense... I think projecting 3-6 gets dicey.

We have a goalie who needs to bounce back, a dcore that's taken a step back and a deep, but unremarkable forward core... I firmly believe that opens us up to finishing anywhere in the 3-5 range, without taking injuries or illness during the season into account.

Nashville has an impressive dcore, a lacking forward core and decent goaltending - next summer after Rinne is gone will be a make or break off-season for Poile, because they need some punch upfront (that said, I'll cheer from the sidelines if they faceplant).

Pittsburgh is solid in net, scary up front and have question marks on the back end. Injury concerns with their numerous older players in a condensed season has me thinking they're likely to miss the playoffs, but if healthy they should make it.

Florida has enough offence to power a adequate blue line into the playoffs if they get league average goaltending... I don’t like their blue line, but I won't discount coach Q making it work.

Reactions: Stealth JD

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I saw this while scrolling through Twitter, It's not any relevance to the Blues or anything but I thought it was interesting as this agent represents a former Blues player who I'm not naming, But I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. I don't know why I'm posting this.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I love what is going on in Vegas.

Their biggest weakness is at center....Nick Suzuki would be their #1 center who of course they used in the deal to get Patches who they now want to trade. Lol
David Pagnotta added Martinez’s name to the group and noted that Vegas may need to add from their end in order to move the salary.
Patches, Fleury, Marchessault, Martinez on the block. Stastny and Schmidt gone for a bag of pucks.

As much as I don't want to see a former favorite player of mine fail, but at the same time I'm getting enjoyment seeing them screwing themselves over.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I love what is going on in Vegas.

Their biggest weakness is at center....Nick Suzuki would be their #1 center who of course they used in the deal to get Patches who they now want to trade. Lol
David Pagnotta added Martinez’s name to the group and noted that Vegas may need to add from their end in order to move the salary.
Patches, Fleury, Marchessault, Martinez on the block. Stastny and Schmidt gone for a bag of pucks.

As much as I don't want to see a former favorite player of mine fail, but at the same time I'm getting enjoyment seeing them screwing themselves over.

Gee, it’s almost like if you overpay Petro it has cascading negative effects.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It would've been better if the Blues just kept him.
It’s logic like this that smacks of a parody account. You realize the irony when you’re posting about Vegas’ cap problems yet ridicule Armstrong for insisting he not put the Blues into a similar position over the coming years, don’t you?

They needed to find a way to move Fleury, and I’m sure that was Plan A. I won’t be shocked if the Golden Knights fall back this year, except the proposed division they’d play in will have some pretty weak teams unless Anaheim, LA, San Jose and Arizona all take steps forward.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
It’s logic like this that smacks of a parody account. You realize the irony when you’re posting about Vegas’ cap problems yet ridicule Armstrong for insisting he not put the Blues into a similar position over the coming years, don’t you?

They needed to find a way to move Fleury, and I’m sure that was Plan A. I won’t be shocked if the Golden Knights fall back this year, except the proposed division they’d play in will have some pretty weak teams unless Anaheim, LA, San Jose and Arizona all take steps forward.

Well the Blues had a chance to win right now with Petro, Blues blew it out the window when they didn't sign him. Vegas on the other hand has to trade half the team away just to get under the cap, So in hindsight both teams are screwing themselves.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Well the Blues had a chance to win right now with Petro, Blues blew it out the window when they didn't sign him. Vegas on the other hand has to trade half the team away just to get under the cap, So in hindsight both teams are screwing themselves.
You mean Petro blew it for the Blues when he didn't take the 8x8 offered to him

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

I'm expecting LA to surprise many this year and challenge for 4th in the western division, toss up between MIN/LAK for 4/5th.

COL
DAL
VGK
*LAK
*MIN
ARZ
SJ
ANA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events