Around The NHL Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I'm not any less impressed with what McDavid is doing based on the divisional format. I think that's totally overstated, and its obvious when you compare other offensive numbers from guys in his division.

I'm less focused on what division he is in than the offense-only style that his team plays. Put McDavid on a Hitch, Sutter, or Berube type team where defense is primary, and watch his point totals fall. I think he's the best player to ever play the game, but it's not really fair to compare offensive numbers across the league when some players have the option to forgo defense for more offense. Berube would never tolerate McDavid cheating out of his own zone for example.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I'm less focused on what division he is in than the offense-only style that his team plays. Put McDavid on a Hitch, Sutter, or Berube type team where defense is primary, and watch his point totals fall. I think he's the best player to ever play the game, but it's not really fair to compare offensive numbers across the league when some players have the option to forgo defense for more offense. Berube would never tolerate McDavid cheating out of his own zone for example.
McDavid did play for Hitch and he's still the best player in the world lol

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Does anybody truly believe Berube is hindering anyone’s offensive ability? I don’t believe that for a second.

Perron and ROR are at PPG. Would they be higher with a different coach? I don’t believe so.

In fact I can’t think of a single player on our roster whose point totals would be higher anywhere else.

McDavid would be just as good here as he is in Edmonton. It’s absurd that anyone would discredit him or put any type of asterisk next to his stats. If you watch him play, he’s the most talented player in the league. His skating alone is way ahead of everyone. I mean, come on.

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Does anybody truly believe Berube is hindering anyone’s offensive ability? I don’t believe that for a second.

Perron and ROR are at PPG. Would they be higher with a different coach? I don’t believe so.

In fact I can’t think of a single player on our roster whose point totals would be higher anywhere else.

McDavid would be just as good here as he is in Edmonton. It’s absurd that anyone would discredit him or put any type of asterisk next to his stats. If you watch him play, he’s the most talented player in the league. His skating alone is way ahead of everyone. I mean, come on.
No doubt he's the best player in the league. But the (possible) 100 points in 56 games is a function of the level of competition; as is Matthews absurd goal-scoring totals. I didn't realize it would be such a hot take, but I'd wager McDavid (or Matthews) never put up these kind of points/game (or goals/game) again; or come within even 15% of this pace. It's absurd to think that by removing 6 games against the Jets (against whom he's gone 7-15-22 in NINE GAMES) and replacing those with matchups against the Lightning, Stars, Panthers, Bruins, etc. that he'd put up those same figures. Sure, he'd get games against the Wings, Kings & Sabres to put up numbers (the latter of whom he's under PPG for his career, like w/ STL & CHI); but I refuse to think he'd punk the rest of the NHL to the extent he's doing Canada, especially considering Canada plays some pretty shitty hockey these days (and has for the past several decades).

Reactions: BlueOil

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
No doubt he's the best player in the league. But the (possible) 100 points in 56 games is a function of the level of competition; as is Matthews absurd goal-scoring totals. I didn't realize it would be such a hot take, but I'd wager McDavid (or Matthews) never put up these kind of points/game (or goals/game) again; or come within even 15% of this pace. It's absurd to think that by removing 6 games against the Jets (against whom he's gone 7-15-22 in NINE GAMES) and replacing those with matchups against the Lightning, Stars, Panthers, Bruins, etc. that he'd put up those same figures. Sure, he'd get games against the Wings, Kings & Sabres to put up numbers (the latter of whom he's under PPG for his career, like w/ STL & CHI); but I refuse to think he'd punk the rest of the NHL to the extent he's doing Canada, especially considering Canada plays some pretty shitty hockey these days (and has for the past several decades).

I agree with pretty much everything here. I also think that if you give any number of players his speed that they would dominate just as much, could you imagine ROR with that speed? Once his speed starts going away so will his massive points.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Initially, I think I would've pushed back on this because these guys are getting older and better at playing at the NHL level. Both are some of the most gifted players in the league right now, so even if the totals are impressive, it doesn't surprise me that it's happening. Having said this though, I think what you said in not playing tougher teams like Tampa or Vegas does effect their points/goal totals, but I think playing the same teams over and over again and getting used to their tendencies might be more of a factor in favor of those guys. Usually the competition gets more difficult the more times you play the same teams, but I think for players who are as skilled as they are probably benefit more from it. Idk, that's my take away from it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I think you are overestimating how bad Canadian teams are. From 2017-18 through last season Canadian teams have won 786 out of 1641 games. That is like 48% win rate not point percentage. That isn't great but it is almost exactly middle of the road NHL. These are NHL teams. Even Ottawa has won 35% over that stretch. A few of them may be bad NHL teams, and none of them are great NHL teams, but they are all NHL teams. So it is a feat to put up that many points against even bad NHL teams. The Jets, who you actually want to remove, are one of the better teams over that stretch (58%) and have a goalie who has won the Vezina. So while those guys may have been helped a bit by lesser competition, its not like they are playing high schoolers.

I agree with pretty much everything here. I also think that if you give any number of players his speed that they would dominate just as much, could you imagine ROR with that speed? Once his speed starts going away so will his massive points.

For me, I think it is more than speed that sets McDavid apart. Its how he handles the speed. He is fast, probably one of the fastest in the league. But he might not be the fastest, and there are other guys just as fast. As proof, he deosn't always win the speed competitions at the All Star game and he never blows guys out. Whart sets him apart is how he thinks, reacts and stick handles at top speed. He does all that as well as guys going half as fast. Have you ever seen the Flash TV show on CW? To his perspective, he isn't moving fast, everything else is moving slow. That's what McDavid seems like to me, although obviously not supernaturally so.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I never ever want anybody to get injured and not cheer anybody injury, but now I got big smile in my face.

Reactions: BlueOil

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Yes!!!!!! The Flyers player willl be getting money from the other 30 teams. Way to collect a bounty.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I used to say that exact thing, but honestly, f*** Tom Wilson. I want him to get hurt any chance he steps on the ice.
I'm more worried about Aube-Kubel than Wilson. I never advocate for wanting players to get hurt, but Wilson has done too much damage around the league for me to care anymore. He may have hit Sundqvist so hard he turned into one of the best bottom 6 forwards, but that's the only good thing to come from his fine/suspension worthy hits.

Reactions: Blueston

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
On the Wilson injury, karma would have been an opposing skater kneeling down and punching him in the back of the head while he lay there. Still some owed IMO.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Not sure how we'd make the cap work but I sure wouldn't mind sending Thomas and a couple of firsts to Buffalo for Eichel. Such a deal probably means you're not re-signing Schwartz and (I suppose) losing a large salary (Tarasenko, Krug) in the expansion draft. This team just doesn't really have room for a $10M per year cap hit without making some substantial changes, but I would never count Army out on swinging a deal for a player he really wants.

b82151e35cb843ed9468069beb662696--the-princess-bride-so-funny.jpg

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
At this point I think Buffalo desperately needs a change in ownership. That whole organization is dysfunctional top to bottom and no matter how many times they change coaches or the GM, they won't get the culture change that is needed until the Pegulas are gone.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
At this point I think Buffalo desperately needs a change in ownership. That whole organization is dysfunctional top to bottom and no matter how many times they change coaches or the GM, they won't get the culture change that is needed until the Pegulas are gone.

Given how the NHL has acted around Melnyk's antics (Ottawa owner)... I don’t think there is going to be a push for a change in ownership.

Melnyk often drew the spotlight with poor optics for the league and hasn't been publicly denounced. This in spite some major red flags around his former charity (who walked away from the partnership), a series of media fiascos around his proposed arena, some questions around potential bankruptcy and him almost single handedly forcing all the stars out of Ottawa...

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

KC could use a team. Would be a good rival for da Blues
:naughty:

Reactions: mk80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad