Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I expect the Devils to be his next destination. Whether it is this season or in the off-season, I'm not sure, but I do think that is where Babcock ends up.
The one niggling detail is that he'll get paid by Toronto for the rest of his contract, and it could be like the Quenneville situation, where a team would not want to pay a salary as high as what he's getting paid to NOT coach.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Isles are good. Four losses on the year. FOUR.
I don't think they're scary at all, or a threat to come out of the East...but they're really good.
Wonder what Tavares thinks about that franchise's ascendence.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Isles are good. Four losses on the year. FOUR.
I don't think they're scary at all, or a threat to come out of the East...but they're really good.
Wonder what Tavares thinks about that franchise's ascendence.

I doubt he has much time to think about the Isles while he banks his 11m a year. I don't think you go to a team and take 11m per year if you care about winning.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Remember when some of us (not saying you or anyone in particular) wanted Turris? Two healthy scratches in a row now. Four more years at 6 million. Woof.

Tough times in Smashville.
Also Granlund has 15 points in 43 total games with Nashville.

Those 2 have been an incredibly bad fit for some reason.

But I’m loving it. :laugh:

Schenn and ROR working out great here.

Reactions: CoverYour5

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Fun with the early-standings; playoff-style:

Blues would be looking at a match-up with the wild-card #2 winner if the standings settle where they are now, which is currently the Golden Knights. That would be a fun matchup, in which I'd like the Blues chances.
Other interesting matchups would be a 1st round show-down between the Avs and Stars (Makar v. Heiskanen), a surely-expected Coyote-Canuck battle, another chapter in the Crosby v. Ovechkin saga, the UFA-dream destination matchup of EDM v. WPG, and a tough draw for the Panthers where all 7-games will be home-games for the Canadiens.

I can't wait for this club to start its playoff defense. They've got 4.5 months to get healthy, fine-tuned and ready for everyone's best shot.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Tim Peel just took a puck in the head from Trouba. Leaving the ice with some assistance, but was down on the ice for a while.

Ottawa is fun to watch. St. Louisian Logan Brown just scores his first career goal. Brady Tkachuk is awesome, and Chabot is going to be a star.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Tim Peel just took a puck in the head from Trouba. Leaving the ice with some assistance, but was down on the ice for a while.

Ottawa is fun to watch. St. Louisian Logan Brown just scores his first career goal. Brady Tkachuk is awesome, and Chabot is going to be a star.
I agree, Ottawa games are entertaining.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

I can't describe how much I hate Melnyk, and seeing the young Ottawa players blossom the way they are fills me with even more vitriol for the man.

Ottawa was so close to becoming an Eastern powerhouse. All they had to do was wait for the prospects to come, secure a solid goalie, and shore up the bottom of the defensive lines. This was going to be tricky to find the right players for the right price, but it really wasn't such a Sisyphean task with the nucleus they had and the youth they had drafted. But no, Ottawa was cursed to be given some egotistical Scrooge of an owner who doesn't care for long term success, but rather the cost of players affecting his wallet.

I still pray for the day he says something outrageously stupid, or commits some crime, or the league steps up to him, or something happens just to force him to sell the team. I like the Senators and the players they've developed. But it's hard to watch them knowing all the crap their owner has put them through over the last 3+ years.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Stars are on a roll.

I still think they are the most complete team in the Central.

Avs are doing pretty well at 6-7-1 down their top 2 wingers, a top 4 dman and top 2 goalies for a decent portion of their season.

I think they're consistently underated and will be a tough out in the playoffs as well.

More to your point, Hintz, Perry and Pavelski have been adding a significant amount of offensive depth to the team that essentially was only short on the scoring depth last year in the playoffs. It took them a little while to incorporate the new pieces to the team effectively, but so long as Bishop is healthy during the playoffs they are going to be a brutal draw as a 1st round opponent.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Does anyone know or remember what the deal is with him and Mike Commodore? Commie was lighting him on Twitter yesterday, but I don't follow him so I'm not sure if this is business as usual or something bubbling back to the surface due to the filing.

As others mentioned, Commodore's hate for Babcock goes back a long way. He's discussed it at length on Spittin Chiclets and other places. And he's not the only one. Chelios can't stand Babcock and I just saw that ex-Leaf Mark Fraser also has no love for Babs. Fraser claims that 95% of Babcock's former players can't say a good thing about the guy. Apparently he benched Spezza in the Leafs opening game (against his former team Ottawa) just to send a message to Dubas for signing Spezza in the first place, and he also denied Modano a shot at 1,500 games by healthy scratching him down the stretch in his last season in Detroit.

I'd say where there's smoke, there's fire. Maybe effective coaches don't get to the top by being the players' friend, but it sure seems like a lot of guys don't like playing for this egomaniac. I can understand why current players wouldn't throw the guy under the bus, but he sure seems to rub a lot of guys the wrong way. That being said, I could see this coaching change really light a fire under the Leafs, who are more than capable of going on a run like the Blues did last year. Watch out, Eastern Conference!

Ex-Maple Leafs player Mark Fraser shreds Mike Babcock on Twitter

Chelios: 'No veteran free agent' wants to play for Mike Babcock - Sportsnet.ca

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I’m surprised they can forecast that so accurately, but I think its being announced this way to impact the hearing. Either way, it’s awful for Arvidsson. Bortuzzo deserves a suspension, and probably not just a couple games.
This is going to sound awfully homer-ish, but I just watched the play and was left scratching my head as to how Arvidsson bounces UP so noticeably immediately after being cross-checked DOWN with such force. It looked to me like he was embellishing the hit. A lot. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if his lower body injury was self-inflicted even if it was embellishing a suspendible hit.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I’m surprised they can forecast that so accurately, but I think its being announced this way to impact the hearing. Either way, it’s awful for Arvidsson. Bortuzzo deserves a suspension, and probably not just a couple games.

Yeah. There is not really any ambiguity on intent in this circumstance, and I think that should work against him. If it were the other way around, we’d be universally & rightfully enraged. I’m not into arguing anything for Borts behalf on this.

Reactions: Blueston

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I hope the League is smart enough to take this into consideration, but I won't hold my breath.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This is going to sound awfully homer-ish, but I just watched the play and was left scratching my head as to how Arvidsson bounces UP so noticeably immediately after being cross-checked DOWN with such force. It looked to me like he was embellishing the hit. A lot. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if his lower body injury was self-inflicted even if it was embellishing a suspendible hit.
Which hit? The 2nd hit? I've seen some very odd reactions to getting hurt. I've had some myself, but not in this situation. Are you expecting VA to lay motionless after the hit?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues really have been toeing the line this season....good or bad.

I still find it funny how hockey fans pine for ol time hockey, and celebrate the Vince Dunn hit(which technically is clean) when he broke a guys nose because of the head contact. Then they want to critique players for accidental plays...

Now the Bortuzzo is not borderline....its just a dirty hit. But....I wouldn't be surprisedto watch a bunch of hockey from 20yrs ago and see this happen all the time. I dont really know what to call it other then hypocrisy. People cry about every hit getting a hearing and call the league soft till it's their player getting hit or a team they dont like delivering the hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad