Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I’ve been to a couple games in Arizona. I thought the area around the arena was awesome. Great options for dining, movies, etc. But it was a serious trek to get there and back from where I was staying in Phoenix. I can’t imagine attending games on a work day.
That’s exactly the problem out here. Luckily, for me, I live in Peoria (West Valley) and getting to Westgate is really easy.

But after a long workday? Fuggedaboudit

East Valley areas like Scottsdale (where the Leafs’ Matthews is from) are in for a long night.

And, yes, Westgate is fun. The football Cardinals play there as well.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Don’t look now, but Dallas has risen from the dead.
I thought they’d be one of the 2 best teams in the division, even with the slow start. They’re a good team with less holes than most in the division, and they’re hungry and confident after that playoffs.

Chicago is going to make some noise as a wildcard possibility the way they look right now.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Some thoughts that have been percolating:

I read a recent article about the UFA class of 2016 and the horrible contracts. Its a record of broken dreams and roster dead weight (which includes David Backes). For whatever criticism Armstrong gets at times, he has not signed any albatross deals with guys on the order of those contracts. Allen is short enough term and still at least serviceable. We’ll find out on the Faulk deal, but he is currently in his prime age, so even if he’s overpaid it’s not like buying a guy who is already over the hill.

So, holding that thought, I was considering the RFA contracts that Toronto gave out. Less than max term and higher dollars than historical norms. They were designed to give those players another huge prime age contract. It makes sense to ask for that, but I can’t fathom how a GM concedes on both dollars AND term. But I think it’s inevitable that guys on other teams are going to insist on these types of deals too. We are bound to see more high profile holdouts as more savvy GMs figure out how to flex the team control back into the disturbed market. But I’ll be surprised if there aren’t more of these deals, for guys like Petterson, Makar, etc, the next generation of stars.

So, will GMs shift the compensation younger? Will they learn not to pay guys like Lucic and Backes as much, and start compensating younger players more? The thing that argues against this is the ‘R’ in RFA. Players have limited leverage. They can hold out, but they do so like pointing a gun at their own head to some degree, harming their career development if it goes too long.

Finally, I wondered what Armstrong’s starting point is for Pietro based on this market perturbation. The Josi contract probably sets the table pretty fairly. I’m just grateful the Blues aren’t one of those teams overpaying RFAs or UFAs. Armstrong’s model for building the team through the draft and trades has proven to look much more stable. And I still can’t understand what Dubas was thinking.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Just think if someone told you before the season that Babcock would be the first coach fired. Just wow.

Now it will be interesting to see if the next team that fires their coach goes after him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
19th of December Yeo was fired. We're 7-12 record that time and Leafs are now 9-13. Not suprise at all. Leafs are quite same position like we're last season at this time. Its on players after this fire.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
bbe70d82-d5d4-431d-b430-9cf30a19366f-jpeg.280199

Reactions: JoshFromMO

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
19th of December Yeo was fired. We're 7-12 record that time and Leafs are now 9-13. Not suprise at all. Leafs are quite same position like we're last season at this time. Its on players after this fire.

Minor correction - November 19th was when Yeo was fired, not December 19th Ranksu.

Reactions: Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Minor correction - November 19th was when Yeo was fired, not December 19th Ranksu.
I always mix up those. Some brain meltdown thing what I can't understand. Same goes with July and June. I hate it. Or chance and change, than and then, whole and hole. :baghead:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It will be interesting to see what Ottawa does with Pageau, who just scored again (his NHL-leading 10th goal of November). He picked the perfect time to break-out. You’ve got to think his comparable will be William Karlsson and he’ll be looking for ~ $7M long-term. Can’t see how the Sens can afford to trade him for even more futures...they almost have to pay the guy, right?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I’ve been a Pageau fan since he caught my eye in the playoffs a few years ago. Underrated player, but I’m not sure he will be worth the 7M long term. He’s a good player in both ends of the ice.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I really like all the salute the vets and charity stuff the NHL does. It seems head and shoulders above the efforts of the other professional sports leagues (NBA, NFL, MLB). It also seems far more genuine.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It will be interesting to see what Ottawa does with Pageau, who just scored again (his NHL-leading 10th goal of November). He picked the perfect time to break-out. You’ve got to think his comparable will be William Karlsson and he’ll be looking for ~ $7M long-term. Can’t see how the Sens can afford to trade him for even more futures...they almost have to pay the guy, right?
I struggle to see how a guy who averages 33 points per 82 games is even worth 5 million, let alone 7.

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I struggle to see how a guy who averages 33 points per 82 games is even worth 5 million, let alone 7.
I'm making a huge assumption that he'll continue to lead the league in +/- and go on to score 40 goals; but he certainly picked the right time to break-out. He's a risky guy to give a big contract out, but I'd guess he can parlay a good season into at least a $6M/year deal.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
I'm making a huge assumption that he'll continue to lead the league in +/- and go on to score 40 goals; but he certainly picked the right time to break-out. He's a risky guy to give a big contract out, but I'd guess he can parlay a good season into at least a $6M/year deal.

His goal totals, which make up the bulk of his points (13 goals, 4 assists), are inflated by a high shot% right now. He's scoring on over 24% of his shots, which is not close to sustainable. He'll come back down to earth and probably still end up with a career high in goals (currently 19), but nowhere near 40.

Reactions: Blueston

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Complete class from Babcock. Well done!
Does anyone know or remember what the deal is with him and Mike Commodore? Commie was lighting him on Twitter yesterday, but I don't follow him so I'm not sure if this is business as usual or something bubbling back to the surface due to the filing.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Does anyone know or remember what the deal is with him and Mike Commodore? Commie was lighting him on Twitter yesterday, but I don't follow him so I'm not sure if this is business as usual or something bubbling back to the surface due to the filing.
Detroit Red Wings 2011-12 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Babcock wouldn't play a struggling Commodore who was at the end of the line on his playing career. Basically LaRussa and Ozzie, if Ozzie were a jerk-off with a Twitter account.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
flames seem like the next team to axe their coach, i don't see babcock drifting west though
I don’t see them giving up on Peters that quick. I think they’ll make roster moves.

I’d like to see Babcock in New Jersey. But they seem attached to Hynes for... some reason.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I don’t see them giving up on Peters that quick. I think they’ll make roster moves.

I’d like to see Babcock in New Jersey. But they seem attached to Hynes for... some reason.

i think the losing will make them more impulsive, particularly because the parts they need (like a #1c) aren't going to be easily acquirable via trade. rumor is johnny hockey can be moved, but is that enough to land a #1c?

team is slow and has suspect depth at both forward and defense with little in the pipeline, i guess we'll see how far their draft picks get them if they do blow it up.

edit: they are in the pacific division, so floundering for awhile is still a distinct possibility

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
He’s told it on Spittin Chiclets before too. IIRC basically Babcock cut him when he was young for being out of shape, and then “promised” him solid minutes (not #1-#2 minutes but solid minutes) in Detroit and told him everything was water under the bridge so he chose them over other deals he and then Babcock had him traded shortly after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad