Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm a loooong time lurker. I usuallyhave nothing to contrivute so I say nothing. But I assure you - your English is good. I do not speak any other language and.commend you for speaking a second. Dont worry about the prior post - I cant tell, but I think the previous comment about your English was just goofing around and not ill-intended.

To everyone else: thanks for making these boards a place I can follow closely our Stanley Cup Champs Blues!
And having exceeded my annual post quota of zero I will withdraw back into the Great Unkown for the foreseeable future.

I guarantee you that you communicate in English better than 99.9% of us could communicate in Suomi.

I appreciate kind words, but you can't compare english to finnish. One is most common speaking language at world and one is the hardest to learn. Btw english, swedish belongs in Finland's elementary school when you are 7th grade - 9th grade and you get optional language like german and russian.

Hard to compare when I don't know what kind of teaching structure you guys have in NA.

My english is below the average in Finland. :laugh:

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I’m just giving you crap, @Ranksu.

I love your English. It’s fun to read and makes me derive meanings from my own language that I would have otherwise never derived.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I appreciate kind words, but you can't compare english to finnish. One is most common speaking language at world and one is the hardest to learn. Btw english, swedish belongs in Finland's elementary school when you are 7th grade - 9th grade and you get optional language like german and russian.

Hard to compare when I don't know what kind of teaching structure you guys have in NA.

My english is below the average in Finland. :laugh:

Well, I took a non-traditional route (Francophone program) so I can't even speak to the Canadian norm as it changes from district to district (basically city to city out west).

I went to a French school and all my courses were in French from kindergarten on. In grade 4 they started teaching an English class, but everything else was in French until grade 9 & 10, when electives were taught in English. Then in grade 11 only my French class and social studies were in French and my grade 12 year only my French class was taught in French.

I graduated with a English and French certificate, giving me the equivalent of Quebec standard graduation. I've been told that had I pursued a teaching, police career or a government job I'd have qualified for an extra 10-15 thousand a year in pay for my bilingual abilities.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m just giving you crap, @Ranksu.

I love your English. It’s fun to read and makes me derive meanings from my own language that I would have otherwise never derived.
I've always had the impression that the creative use of English has less to do with having a Finnish native tongue and more to do with blood alcohol level. Most of the time you are perfectly coherent, Ranksu. But there are times I get the other impression.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

giphy.gif

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I like Keller a lot and think he’ll be a good player but 7+ million a year at this point is ridiculous.

Tarasenko went from 43 to 73 points including 37 goals prior to getting 7.5 million. Keller went from 65 to 47 points and from 23 goals down to 14. Is it a sophomore slump? Is he closer to a 50 point player than a 70? There’s just too many unknowns to hand out 7+ million for 8 years.

Marner is going to ask for 15 million per season. Aging UFA’s have historically been overpaid and now that trend is bleeding into RFA’s.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I like Keller a lot and think he’ll be a good player but 7+ million a year at this point is ridiculous.

Tarasenko went from 43 to 73 points including 37 goals prior to getting 7.5 million. Keller went from 65 to 47 points and from 23 goals down to 14. Is it a sophomore slump? Is he closer to a 50 point player than a 70? There’s just too many unknowns to hand out 7+ million for 8 years.

Marner is going to ask for 15 million per season. Aging UFA’s have historically been overpaid and now that trend is bleeding into RFA’s.
Year or two. That contract will look cheap. He'll improve.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Tarasenko got $7.5 Million 4 years ago. 7.5 is the new 5.5.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Tarasenko got $7.5 Million 4 years ago. 7.5 is the new 5.5.

Tarasenko’s contract was 10.7% of the cap when he signed. Keller’s deal is 8.8% of the cap next season.

Flipped it would be Tarasenko signing this year for 8,667,000 this season vs Keller signing for 6,160,000 four years ago.

Like I said, I like Keller a lot but signing an 8 year deal for 2% less vs the cap than Tarasenko can’t be justified other than placing it on hope.

Edit: Keller also gets a full NTC after 4 seasons.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I don’t think the Keller signing is that bad. He’s going to be a stud. There’s some risk there, for sure, but the potential payoff is worth it IMO. I’m a big fan of locking in core talent for as long as you can at a reasonable number. That’s certainly on the high end of reasonable, but it’s better than bridging him and watching him blow up and be forced into a Marner situation.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
The Yotes obviously view him as a core franchise player so I can see why they don't mind giving him that money. The team was in shambles last year and they still made a decent push for the playoffs there at the end. He'll definitely pop off this year with them, especially with the acquisition of Kessel.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I don’t think the Keller signing is that bad. He’s going to be a stud. There’s some risk there, for sure, but the potential payoff is worth it IMO. I’m a big fan of locking in core talent for as long as you can at a reasonable number. That’s certainly on the high end of reasonable, but it’s better than bridging him and watching him blow up and be forced into a Marner situation.

I agree, and I was surprised by some of the blowback on this one. Now, I am a Keller fan mostly because he is local, and a little bit because of his entertaining, skilled style too. So I’m not a neutral judge on him, but was surprised by how negative some of the analytic presentations on him I caught on Twitter were. I didn’t realize where he was pegged by a lot of them, though I saw some saying it was a decent deal too.

I do think the market has shifted on these young guys, in their favor. It seems a decent segment of people in actual power have finally figured out it is far better to take a risk on a Keller than to pay the next David Clarkson/David Backes for past performance.

I don’t know if the hockey media has fully grabbed on to that, both conventional and those with an analytic bent. I feel like there is a real tug of war playing out with all these RFA’s, right now, trying to establish where this market is. Everyone directly in the game knows it has changed, but not exactly sure where. I am suspecting many of these may drag out into the season.

Of course, now probably one will sign and all the other dominoes will fall into line within a week. Keller is another data point that might help establish where the market is, to help those dominoes to fall.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Tarasenko’s contract was 10.7% of the cap when he signed. Keller’s deal is 8.8% of the cap next season.

Flipped it would be Tarasenko signing this year for 8,667,000 this season vs Keller signing for 6,160,000 four years ago.

Like I said, I like Keller a lot but signing an 8 year deal for 2% less vs the cap than Tarasenko can’t be justified other than placing it on hope.

Edit: Keller also gets a full NTC after 4 seasons.

That really doesn't help your point, it's perfectly reasonable for the player that Keller is. That's the number a good young player goes for and has been for a while. Compare it to other RFA franchise players and it looks even better. It just seems weird that people are pushing against this one.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
That's the number a good young player goes for and has been for a while. Compare it to other RFA franchise players and it looks even better.
The problem is he's not good. Scores points at a low rate, terrible defensively, and does not drive play offensively. He plays big minutes so his raw point totals look alright though. The one thing I will give him is that he has not played with very high quality linemates. That won't change his poor defense and lack of play-driving ability, but his scoring rate should go up though probably only to a second line level IMO.

Edit: Terrible is probably an overstatement for his defense, we'll just say bad.

Last edited:

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
That really doesn't help your point, it's perfectly reasonable for the player that Keller is. That's the number a good young player goes for and has been for a while. Compare it to other RFA franchise players and it looks even better. It just seems weird that people are pushing against this one.

It’s hard to get around the 47 points. I’m not ripping the contract to shreds but he’s being paid mostly on hope.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If I were a Coyotes fan, I'd be more worried about paying Schmaltz almost $6M a year than paying Keller a little over $7M. Schmaltz strikes me as the kind of player that will run up his counting stats against lesser competition and then disappear in the big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->