Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I find it rather strange that there are a number of bigots, racists, anti-feminists and religious zealots that make similarly inflammatory remarks in political offices in some capacity or campaigning that receive so much less attention over their remarks.

I mean, relatively recently in the Canadian federal election some mud-slinging occurred over past statements (10+ years ago, similar to what Ranksu is talking about, albeit with no charges pressed) and open opposition to marriage equality, a women's right to abortion etc all draws less attention (or generates less discussion) on a daily basis than Don's tirade did.

North America is a fickle creature that senators can make pretty transparent remarks about security and closing the borders to immigrants, refugee camps and no fly lists applying to entire countries but can't tolerate one of the most openly biased and a long standing TV host making the same comments...

I find Don objectionable as a relic of a bygone age, but respect his willingness to stand behind his own statements in an age of back peddling and overly done political correctness. I won't miss his segment, but do question how they intend to replace it as the last attempt without Don was awful.
I know very little about Canadian politics so I can't really say much. I can guess at the Cherry deal just being the straw that broke the camel's back. May have been looking for a reason to move on.

As for America....yea....fun times here....sighs...

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I know very little about Canadian politics so I can't really say much. I can guess at the Cherry deal just being the straw that broke the camel's back. May have been looking for a reason to move on.

As for America....yea....fun times here....sighs...

I tend to avoid political discussions because people can rarely hold a civilized discussion about them, it quickly devolves into a your guys suck, their predecessor did X, Y and Z - so f*** your party they don't deserve a chance to try to improve shit all.

The Conservative party leader (Andrew Sheer) was labelled as a Nazi in many political talks I'd overheard amongs friends and relatives vis-à-vis his stances on immigration and marriage equality, where he'd campaigned on promises to revisit certain laws to restrict both moving civil rights back decades.

Trudeau had some off color comments from the early 2000s dug up and used against him, trying to portray him as less progressive than advertised by his opposition.

Stupid politics in a nutshell. I found both the main candidates equally appalling, because each seemed hellbent on providing reasons not to vote for the other guy rather than advocating their own platform.

Reactions: Dbrownss

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am glad Cherry was finally fired. I think HNIC gave him too long a leash for too long a time. The man is an absolute buffoon! I have been muting Coaches Corner for years now, while at the same time shaking my head in dismayed astonishment at how a few of my fellow countrymen not just tolerate, but actually endorse his meaningless rants. If he sticks to hockey, he actually has some knowledge to impart. Otherwise he is just an uninformed, misguided bigot. I really hope most Canadians, like myself, would rather be represented by someone who is not a racist, sexist, ignorant red-neck.

Last edited:

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
They haven’t had quite the success they were hoping for, but they did miss the playoffs the three seasons prior to signing those deals and then made it every year since until last year. Making the playoffs is not a terribly high bar to clear, but they’ve been relatively successful in their tenure. Easy to argue they’d be in a better spot now if they’d missed the playoffs in a few of those years and hit on some of the high profile drafts though.

Your assessment of the signings is very kind to the Wild organization. Parisi and Suter definitely made the Wild a better team, but the long honeymoon is now over. Parisi and Suter have NMCs, six years of term left, and are both hockey geriatrics.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Your assessment of the signings is very kind to the Wild organization. Parisi and Suter definitely made the Wild a better team, but the long honeymoon is now over. Parisi and Suter have NMCs, six years of term left, and are both hockey geriatrics.
Sorry don’t mean to be that guy but it’s Parise not Parisi

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
One further point about Parise. In six of his fist seven years in the league, he played in either 81 or 82 regular season games. He was a workhorse.

In his seven full seasons with Minnesota, he has played in 48, 67, 74, 70, 69, 42 and 74 regular season games.

Injuries take their toll, and recovery time is longer when you get older. Or so it seems.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Leafs GM Dubas had media availability today. Toronto hasn’t been great this year. What was interesting to me is he was asked if Leafs had played game like he envisioned at all this year and he said the game against Blues. They are supposed to be elite team and against us they hit on all cylinders and we beat them!

Reactions: Dbrownss

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
How has Danny De Keyser turned out for Detroit?

As I remember it, he was a free agent after college, and a lot of teams were interested in him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How has Danny De Keyser turned out for Detroit?

As I remember it, he was a free agent after college, and a lot of teams were interested in him.
He’s nothing special.

We were interested in him but he’s kinda meh.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ya that's a no win situation. Calvert was hurt bad and the Canucks scored. If they dont blow it....that's where we are at right now. If they blow it, they cost the Canucks a prime scoring chance and possibly the game. Player saftey should always take presidence though.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Any time a puck hits a player in the head the play should be immediately be stopped. I don't give a damn about scoring chances at that point. Player safety should be vastly more important.
Agreed. If refs are worried about a player just trying to get a whistle....
Add a delay of game penalty.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Anyone one else see this last night? Un****ing believable

I mean, if the refs didn’t stop the play when Parayko destroyed Bishop up high, I’m not sure this warranted a stoppage in play. But, if I were a ref, I would have blown the whistle

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think Calvert was his own worst enemy here. He tried to get up a couple of times and probably “reset the clock” with the officials each time he did. I think if he had gone down and stayed down they probably would have blown the play dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad