Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
No, he wants to play with his best friend, and his best friend is Vladimir Tarasenko, and that's all there is to it. He'll even sign at half price to play with his best friend.

Lm8U1Bw.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Good lord, I wish the Ottawa Senators would fold just for the sake of their fanbase.

You guys see the new video they put out today? It's Eugene Melnyk talking about the "plan" for how they are going to rebuild their team. But the best part? He's being interviewed by freakin Mark Borowiecki, their 3rd pairing defenseman. How does that make sense?

That'd be like if Tom Stillman sat down and did an interview with Robert Bortuzzo to address the fans and the state of the team. Why would anyone come up with that idea and think "yeah, this is normal" ?

Reactions: Lord Helix

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Stevie Y is stepping down because he was commuting to and from Tampa. Family is if Detroit. He has been considering for multiple years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Good lord, I wish the Ottawa Senators would fold just for the sake of their fanbase.

You guys see the new video they put out today? It's Eugene Melnyk talking about the "plan" for how they are going to rebuild their team. But the best part? He's being interviewed by freakin Mark Borowiecki, their 3rd pairing defenseman. How does that make sense?

That'd be like if Tom Stillman sat down and did an interview with Robert Bortuzzo to address the fans and the state of the team. Why would anyone come up with that idea and think "yeah, this is normal" ?
NHL radio was ripping them this morning.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Sounded like a used car salesmen and not a good one. How is the dressing room? Why would you ask your player that publicly and obviously not have a clue since said player had to sidestep the question and then say how can you find us external help?

Shit show in OTT

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I've never seen anything like this in the NHL I don't think. Completely embarrassing. I think a Karlsson trade is coming up, and they need to get Duchene out of there too since he just admitted free agency looks intriguing to him (and why would he stay?)

What a mess.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm taking my son on a hockey tour for his Spring Break, including the road game in Ottawa. I guess the upshot is that good seats shouldn't be terribly expensive. The Blues don't tend to play Ottawa well, so I'm expecting a frustrating loss, but it will be the first time in Canada for both of us. Knowing these plans, its given me a different interest level in whether they trade guys and what the team looks like. But it sure sounds like that owner needs to just cash in his chips.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
There was a lot to unpack in that interview. Melnyk not even wearing the current jersey was unreal. He claims they’re loaded on picks but they don’t even have their likely-lottery pick this year. Then that exchange about the locker room, super awkward (even in an already painfully awkward interview.) The league needs to get Melnyk out of there because nothing will change with him at the helm.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
When's the last time an NHL organization was so dysfunctional? I don't even think the Coyotes with their constant arena issues have been this bad. Atlanta Thrashers? Even further back?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I really think that’s going to be a top 3 pick. For it to have been an unprotected deal is malpractice by the GM. People complain about Armstrong, but he would never have put his team in this situation.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
How did this guy get rich enough to own an NHL team? I mean, I know he sold a pharmaceutical company he started. I more mean, how can someone so clueless start and grow a company. Maybe he was a chemistry genius with no business sense and had good VPs keeping him in line before. But that is up there in terms of the absolute worst PR decision I have seen in a long time.

Even putting aside the cringe-worthiness of the whole thing, the story of how they are going to compete rings so hollow to anyone who knows anything about hockey. 10 rookies? They don't have 10 guys who will be NHL players in their system, much less 10 guys for next year. With 15 more to follow? Karlsson, Stone and Duchene better bring in some great prospects/picks to make that come true. The funniest thing about this, as pointed out by a Sens fan on the main board, is they have only like 8 or 9 guys under contract for next year. So they aren't even going to bring anyone in. They are going to play all rookies with their crappy players under contract. Thats going to be a disaster. They won't win a game that way.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I would love to get Stevie Y as GM but I think Armstrong has done well enough this off-season to at least give him a season, plus, I have to believe Stevie Y is destined for Detroit. He'll take over as President of Hockey Ops or something like that. Ottawa is a dumpster fire at this point. The only reason I don't want them finishing last is Colorado possibly getting Jack Hughes. That really scares me about the Avalanche, although kudos to Sakic because that would make him look like a genius.

Army will address goaltending by using Husso if he absolutely need to, a la Allen's use back in the lockout shortened year. If Allen falters again, I could see him being the first buyout or being relegated to backup with Husso carrying the load.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
When's the last time an NHL organization was so dysfunctional? I don't even think the Coyotes with their constant arena issues have been this bad. Atlanta Thrashers? Even further back?

Blues in the early 80's?

I really think that’s going to be a top 3 pick. For it to have been an unprotected deal is malpractice by the GM. People complain about Armstrong, but he would never have put his team in this situation.

It was protected originally, but Sens chose to keep their pick when they drafted Brady. I was so surprised that they didn't give the Avs this years pick. Knowing that they were already on the bottom of the league. I do feel bad for Sens fans, the arena location is god awful. Jamie Rivers said it was equivalent of Blues having a rink in Warrenton and expecting everyone from STL to travel out there for games. But having Eugene as the owner just makes it even worse. He now has ~$250 million USD in debt tied up in the team, no positive revenue in sight. It is a shit sandwich that he expects all his players, coaches, front office and even fans to take a giant bite out of.

Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If Melnyk and Co. are planning on playing a bunch of young guys I propose the Blues trade Noel, Kaspick, Musil, Reinke and Sanford for Stone. That gets them a third of the way to their target and Melnyk doesn’t have to open the checkbook to pay Stone. Win-win.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
With Karlsson likely heading West, he probably goes to Dallas just to make the Central even more ridiculous.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
San Jose is probably gonna fleece Ottawa again and make Dorion look stupid. After the Hoffman trade I would think they wouldn’t be great partners. Not to mention San Jose has no prospects and seem slated for a mid to late pick for another couple years.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For Ottawa fans, I hope it's not a Pronger 2.0 situation for them. Since everyone actually knows he's available, they should beat that, but the return is still going to be horrible.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Sure looks like EK to SJ. Dreger saying Sharks players notified of trade to Ottawa. Damn it Karlsson is coming to the west.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
How incredible would it be that the Sens traded Karlsson and Hoffman to the same exact team this summer. I know the Sharks flipped Hoffman, but still ironic that Ottawa would send them both to the same club in the same summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad