Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lol yeah they're not getting both. They may go after Karlsson but that's about it.
They will effectively deplete their high end future if they go after Karlsson now. They coughed up their 1yr removed 13ov pick for a 30yr old winger..... Ottawa will rightfully demand Glass++ for Karlsson.

That team will be dependent on FA moving forward and handing out massive contracts.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
They will effectively deplete their high end future if they go after Karlsson now. They coughed up their 1yr removed 13ov pick for a 30yr old winger..... Ottawa will rightfully demand Glass++ for Karlsson.

That team will be dependent on FA moving forward and handing out massive contracts.

Not necessarily.

Next year Vegas has 3 3rd round picks. In 2020 they have 3 2nd round picks. They have enough to move up in both drafts. They could most likely make a deal to move the 3rd’s for a 2nd and the 2nd’s for a 1st. They won’t need immediate help from prospects especially if they get Karlsson.

It’s a deal that makes sense to me for Vegas. The pros of adding Karlsson outweigh the cons.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Not necessarily.

Next year Vegas has 3 3rd round picks. In 2020 they have 3 2nd round picks. They have enough to move up in both drafts. They could most likely make a deal to move the 3rd’s for a 2nd and the 2nd’s for a 1st. They won’t need immediate help from prospects especially if they get Karlsson.

It’s a deal that makes sense to me for Vegas. The pros of adding Karlsson outweigh the cons.
It takes two to tangle though. You cant bank on a team willing to move back in the draft.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
How exactly are they gonna pull that off

I don't know. I'm just throwing crap at the wall out of fun. I think Vegas is a funny story at this point. Expansion team that makes the Stanley Cup final goes from building to the future to win now mode. Who knows. Maybe GMGM is stupid enough to mortgage their entire future for a shot at the Cup. Maybe he's going to wait and see if he can pull EK in via free agency.

Do they actually have enough to get and possibly resign both Karlsson and Stone, no. Honestly, they don't have enough. I just think it's a fun hypothetical to think about. Realistically, no, they can't successfully get even Karlsson or Stone without mortgaging an even bigger part of the future then they already have. Cody Glass is about the only prospect left that is worth something.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I find it hard to fault a GM for spending assets to get playoff depth, when his team proved him right by going to the SCF. Tatar didn't work out great, but the move itself was not a problem. And he was able to spend him as an asset later.

I agree that Vegas has a strange trajectory with still lots of developing youth, but spending a lot of it to get experience added to the roster to compete NOW. But GMGM has earned the benefit of the doubt from everyone. I'll have to see one of these moves blow up before I can criticize.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I find it hard to fault a GM for spending assets to get playoff depth, when his team proved him right by going to the SCF. Tatar didn't work out great, but the move itself was not a problem. And he was able to spend him as an asset later.

I agree that Vegas has a strange trajectory with still lots of developing youth, but spending a lot of it to get experience added to the roster to compete NOW. But GMGM has earned the benefit of the doubt from everyone. I'll have to see one of these moves blow up before I can criticize.

Tatar arguably wasn't an asset in the Pacioretty deal. Just like Lehtera wasn't an asset that got us Schenn. Suzuki is a good prospect for a one year player coming off of a down year (37 points). Suzuki + 2nd is fair for 1 year of Patches. Vegas ultimately signed him longer, but Montreal shouldn't get value for that. Tatar very well could have been considered a neutral add-in to make cap balance, not an asset.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Tatar arguably wasn't an asset in the Pacioretty deal. Just like Lehtera wasn't an asset that got us Schenn. Suzuki is a good prospect for a one year player coming off of a down year (37 points). Suzuki + 2nd is fair for 1 year of Patches. Vegas ultimately signed him longer, but Montreal shouldn't get value for that. Tatar very well could have been considered a neutral add-in to make cap balance, not an asset.
OK, he was able to "jettison" him then? My point is that he cut bait and is not going to be using any of the salary cap to pay a guy that didn't work out for them.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

You dont spend 1st+2nd+3rd on Tomas Tatar, end of story. Winnepeg got a better player at a more crucial position for cheaper from a division rival.

GmGM overpaid for Tatar, and if you factor that in for Pacioretty, he massively overpaid for him

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Speaking of Panarin.....iirc, a few jumped JR over the "wants to play in a big market" tweet. That was undoubtedly confirmed by Davidison on NHL radio.

No, he wants to play with his best friend, and his best friend is Vladimir Tarasenko, and that's all there is to it. He'll even sign at half price to play with his best friend.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Yzerman stepping down as GM in Tampa. He’s going to stay on in an advisory role, still a big announcement out of nowhere.
Very true I posted the same in the OT thread.. I am very interested in the why on this one... he has done a good job in Tampa and has sold the players on the team and the city to get good players and keep them also... don't know how I would feel if I was a player that stayed or signed because of him.. New GM new take on the team

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Yzerman stepping down as GM in Tampa. He’s going to stay on in an advisory role, still a big announcement out of nowhere.

Wow that’s huge. He’s been probably the best GM in the league for several years now. His work at last year’s TDL to bring in McDonagh and Miller, while ultimately unsuccessful in bringing Tampa a cup, was borderline unfair.

It’ll be very interesting to see how Tampa fairs in his absence. That’s a huge blow for them. I hope everything is well with Stevie Y...

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Wow that’s huge. He’s been probably the best GM in the league for several years now. His work at last year’s TDL to bring in McDonagh and Miller, while ultimately unsuccessful in bringing Tampa a cup, was borderline unfair.

It’ll be very interesting to see how Tampa fairs in his absence. That’s a huge blow for them. I hope everything is well with Stevie Y...

Yeah he’s done an incredible job. Obviously all we can do is speculate but you hope nothings wrong medically which is what my first thought was with such a big, and sudden, announcement just before camp opens. But who knows he could just want a reduced workload.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I wonder why...actually let me be more precise. I wonder if the reason why leaves him available for another team, let's say the Blues, to shit-can their GM and hire him.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Can Armstrong after the offseason he has? Seems unlikely Johnny

It probably is impossible, but that doesn't mean I can't believe in it. We shall see how the off-season went for Armstrong 8-9 months from now. Failing to address the goaltending/coaching situation could be a critical mistake. Regardless, I take Stevie Y in a heartbeat over Armstrong if the option is available, regardless of how good Army's off-season was.

"'I can't believe that!' said Alice.
'Can't you?' the Queen said in a pitying tone. 'Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes.'
Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said: 'one can't believe impossible things.'
'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.'" -Lewis Carrol, Through the looking Glass

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What's harder to believe, Armstrong could be replaced or Allen could play adequately well?

How long of a period of time does Allen have to play adequately? A week, a month, a year? I am 50/50 on Allen playing adequate, consistent hockey all year vs us missing the playoffs and Armstrong being canned. Both are equally probable/improbable.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Armstrong being replaced, he's not being replaced, and it's not our owner's style.

Sure, it's Army's fault that Allen has his contract, but there's really nothing he can do about it right now. We can fault him for the contract, but not for not doing anything about it this past summer, it's an unmovable contract IMO. If he was a free agent, he'd sign a Lehner type deal.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Speaking of Panarin.....iirc, a few jumped JR over the "wants to play in a big market" tweet. That was undoubtedly confirmed by Davidison on NHL radio.

There has been conflicting reports. When news first broke that Panarin wasn't interested in resigning with Columbus there was speculation he wanted to play for big market teams. Those speculated cities were NY, Chicago, etc.. The Athletic interviewed Panarin's agent not long after that. In the article the agent confirmed there had been no list of teams supplied to Columbus that Panarin would resign with. He said he saw the supposed list of teams and said there were cities mentioned that Panarin would not resign with.

Has there actually been confirmation by his agent or Panarin on what cities/teams he will resign with or has there just been more speculation from reporters? What did Davidson say on NHL radio?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
There has been conflicting reports. When news first broke that Panarin wasn't interested in resigning with Columbus there was speculation he wanted to play for big market teams. Those speculated cities were NY, Chicago, etc.. The Athletic interviewed Panarin's agent not long after that. In the article the agent confirmed there had been no list of teams supplied to Columbus that Panarin would resign with. He said he saw the supposed list of teams and said there were cities mentioned that Panarin would not resign with.

Has there actually been confirmation by his agent or Panarin on what cities/teams he will resign with or has there just been more speculation from reporters? What did Davidson say on NHL radio?
That's called damage control my friend. Davidson said on NHL radio that Panarin did tell him that he preferred a big market team. Davidson didnt say a specific team(he cant) but he did say a big market. If Panarin confirmed the rumor, he would be boo'd on home ice. Similar to Tavares not being interested in Stl....its a gut punch

Reactions: stlwahoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad