Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Brouwer has always been horrible. His underlying stats are reminiscent of a 4th liner.

He was the beneficiary of a super Hawks team, went to play with Backstrom and Ovechkin and then rode a ridiculously high shooting percentage in his stint with the Blues (and let's be real here, the kid from Ontario put that line on his back).

He was never at any point in his career as good as Oshie.

It does suck to see a nice guy fall far down the well but this is the nature of the beast. I'm sure some team will throw him a 1 year contract based on the fact he's been in the league for a long time and he goes to the net.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Like, what is Carolina doing exactly? Rebuilding, going for it, just trying to save money?

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Like, what is Carolina doing exactly? Rebuilding, going for it, just trying to save money?

Seems like they were just trying to get something for Skinner. I would like to guess they could have gotten more for him at the deadline, especially if he was having a good year. I just don't get how a team that is desperate for goal scoring gets rid of one of their only pure goal scorers. Skinner has his warts but he has a knack for putting the puck in the net.

Simply judging by the return and the fact they didn't even (seem) like they were trying to re-sign him, he must have made it known he had no interest in sticking around in Carolina. If that's the case, it's not a terrible return, but it definitely could have been better.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Important to keep in mind Skinner had a full NMC on his contract this year...gotta think that limited Carolina's options/lowered his value a bit.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Important to keep in mind Skinner had a full NMC on his contract this year...gotta think that limited Carolina's options/lowered his value a bit.
But Buffalo? Guess he figures he can pump his tires playing next to Eichel.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Yeah a 30-goal scorer should return more than that, easily. Very good pick up by Buffalo. Pu is a speedster, and if that’s what you want you could do a whole lot worse. But his upside is limited imo.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
FWIW:

But Buffalo? Guess he figures he can pump his tires playing next to Eichel.
Yeah, I guess.

Seems like a slightly odd decision to me, but maybe BraydenSchenn is right that being close to Ontario factored in. Maybe Skinner sees Buffalo as a team on the rise and wants to play with Eichel/Dahlin/Mittelstadt. Who knows? :dunno:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Skinner has 61 goals in the last two seasons while spending a majority of his time being centered by Rask and Derek Ryan. Eichel and Mittelstadt are definitely upgrades offensively over those two. He's also going to be getting tons of ice time as Buffalo has basically nothing beyond him on LW.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I think Buffalo has actually improved despite losing O'Reilly. Sobotka and Berglund will help their defensive issues at forward while they've surrounded their top 2 young centers with some good wingers. Okposo, Sheary, Skinner, and Thompson (if he play that high) while the defensive responsibilities could be pushed to the bottom two lines. I don't know if they'll make it to the playoffs, but they could definitely make a push this year.

Terrible return for Carolina though. WTF?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Ottawa....my god.

Was just going to post this, haha. I feel sorry for their fans. Stone just signed a 1 year deal, making him a UFA next year. EK, Duchene, and Stone will all be UFA's next year, and I don't know why any of those players would want to re-sign. I'd be very surprised if 2 out of those 3 re-signed, but we'll see. And they don't have a first rounder next year :shakehead

Man, I'd love to somehow sign Stone next offseason, but I don't know how it would work. He would likely receive 8-9 mil on the open market. Even with JBo and Gunnarsson coming off the books (and Maroon), that's $10 mil off the books. Say $1.5 of that would go to Edmundson's new deal, which leaves $8.5 mil left. That could be used to sign Stone. But then you have to replace one of JBo/Gunnarsson with another roster player - if the cap increases by $1.5, that takes care of that player...so, sure, it's feasible for next year alone, but the following year there's Schenn and Petro to be re-signed (and Dunn) with no other player coming off the books...sorry Perron :laugh:. Honestly, it would be possible, but it would require trades...it's a daydream anyway, there's no way that would happen...way too much uncertainty with the cap situation, and Stone will have his pick of any team he wants.

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Looking at Ottawa's team on capfriendly...I just have no idea what they're doing. 36 year old Gaborik is signed for 3 more seasons, Ryan is signed for 4 more, then they have 9 UFA's next season (including, of course, EK / Stone / Duchene). Their prospects don't look great. I would just hate to be a fan of that team, especially with no 2019 first rounder...ugh.

MacArthur has played 8 regular season games over the past 3 seasons - is his NHL career done? I have no idea what injury happened - I assume concussion-related?

Last edited:

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

Exactly. It sounds like he spiked a lot of offers. Surprising he wouldn’t spike Buffalo too, but when you hand out full NMC, you’re agreeing to give up a ton of leverage. It shouldn’t be surprising when teams lose out on deals with NMC, but it does seem like it gets overlooked even by paid hockey analysts too often.

Heard a lot of takes that if that is all Skinner gets now, wait until the deadline and they will return as much or more. Well, what if he turned down multiple offers with greater returns and expressed that he isn’t interested in moving family mid season or something?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Exactly. It sounds like he spiked a lot of offers. Surprising he wouldn’t spike Buffalo too, but when you hand out full NMC, you’re agreeing to give up a ton of leverage. It shouldn’t be surprising when teams lose out on deals with NMC, but it does seem like it gets overlooked even by paid hockey analysts too often.

Heard a lot of takes that if that is all Skinner gets now, wait until the deadline and they will return as much or more. Well, what if he turned down multiple offers with greater returns and expressed that he isn’t interested in moving family mid season or something?
I don't think it is all that surprising given that he did not move with an extension. If he was looking for a place where he could get top line minutes and have a chance to maximize the AAV on his next deal, there are worse places he could go. It might even have been appealing from the standpoint of running up some numbers getting a lot of ice time, then knowing you're going to be moved again at the deadline to a contender.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Looking at Ottawa's team on capfriendly...I just have no idea what they're doing. 36 year old Gaborik is signed for 3 more seasons, Ryan is signed for 4 more, then they have 9 UFA's next season (including, of course, EK / Stone / Duchene). Their prospects don't look great. I would just hate to be a fan of that team, especially with no 2019 first rounder...ugh.

MacArthur has played 8 regular season games over the past 3 seasons - is his NHL career done? I have no idea what injury happened - I assume concussion-related?
And yet, lots of so-called Blues' fans complain about Doug Armstrong's body of work with The Blues. No accounting for The Human mind (in some cases). :eek:

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

sekera out for most (if not all) the season for the oilers with a torn acl

weakens an already questionable blue line for the oilers

have to think they scoop up a free agent d man or two now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad