Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
So if you’re Trouba, you don’t go for arbitration next year right? Otherwise the Jets will assuredly take the 2 years and then you’ve lost out on a year of UFA.

I agree with @Vincenzo Arelliti. The pressure is on now for the Jets. I’m a little surprised they haven’t done more to try to replace Stastny.
I don't believe that an arbitration award can impact UFA years, so if he goes to arbitration next year then it can only be a 1 year deal.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
So if you’re Trouba, you don’t go for arbitration next year right? Otherwise the Jets will assuredly take the 2 years and then you’ve lost out on a year of UFA.

I agree with @Vincenzo Arelliti. The pressure is on now for the Jets. I’m a little surprised they haven’t done more to try to replace Stastny.
Don't think club can opt for 2 year deal if player only has 1 year until UFA.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I am not a fan of Vilardi. Highly overrated imo, but that’s an opinion that has only seen Vilardi 10 or 15 times.

Kyrou>Thomas I completely agree with. Come @ me.

I’ll have to check out the rest of the list this weekend.

Scott Wheeler is a pretty good evaluator of talent, IMO.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Caps signed Tom Wilson to a horrific 6 year, 5.17 million AAV contract. I understand he had a nice playoffs but...sheesh.

Last edited:

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
Caps signed Tom Wilson to a horrific 6 year, 5.17 million AAV contract. I understand he had a nice playoffs but...sheesh.
He had a good playoff run this past year, but the guy has a career high of 35 points. Prior to 17-18, his high was 23 points. He must have some crazy intangibles.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Caps fans are really high on him. They're excited about what he'll do with a full year next to Ovechkin and Kuznetsov.

The term is a bit high, but they got him during his prime, which is what they were after.

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Everything about that contract is high. The man who offered it probably was too.

They had to overpay for what he brings to their team specifically. Go ask any Caps fan about how important he is to their plans moving forward. I'm not a fan of the guy, but I recognize that he has far more skill than a 4th line goon.

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
They had to overpay for what he brings to their team specifically. Go ask any Caps fan about how important he is to their plans moving forward. I'm not a fan of the guy, but I recognize that he has far more skill than a 4th line goon.

The dude scored 35 points playing with Overchkin, Backstrom, and Kuznetzov. The most valuable element he brings is his flying elbow into the opposing team's star players.

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
The dude scored 35 points playing with Overchkin, Backstrom, and Kuznetzov. The most valuable element he brings is his flying elbow into the opposing team's star players.

He was also huge for them in their playoff run and has a cup now.

Whether or not this contract pans out is of no consequence to me, but the freakouts he causes are funny.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Whether or not this contract pans out is of no consequence to me, but the freakouts he causes are funny.
He's certainly a polarizing player.

Whether or not folks think the contract is horrible, it's hard to argue with the impact Tom Wilson can have on a game. :dunno:

Reactions: shmotz

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

They paid him to get suspended for those flying elbows. He'll get fined and suspended about 25% of that and end up around what Berglund makes.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012

Whether or not folks think the contract is horrible, it's hard to argue with the impact Tom Wilson can have on a game. :dunno:
If he’s not sitting in the penalty box for half the game or in the press box suspended again. Guy got suspended twice in f***ing preseason last year. He’s a loose cannon and a total team liability. Caps absolutely mangled this contract negotiation. You don’t give depth plugs 6 year deals north of 5 million. Averages under 30 points per 82 games and makes his team short handed more than any player in the league.

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Exactly.

He does many things that don't show up on the score sheet and gels nicely with their top line. Doesn't look out of place...somehow. People ONLY looking at the numbers aren't looking at the full picture. Don't take my word for it.

Still, they better hope this doesn't turn into the next Bickell contract.

I wouldn't have gone any higher than 4, but I guess the extra 1.1 for his impact on the game is worth it in their eyes (they're still in good shape capwise, doesn't look like they're facing a cap crunch or anything). They overpaid, but they had to. Didn't want to lose him.

We'll see if it pans out, but either way, I'm looking forward to the lolz he'll no doubt cause.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ok but Blues fans said the same thing about Reaves lol. I get that Wilson is a better player than him, but the “ask Caps fans” argument doesn’t apply. Of course they will say that, because they picked him in the 1st round and are still holding out hope that he will be better than what he currently is. Like Blues fans did with Reaves, Caps fans overrate Wilson by using the argument “you have to watch the games to see the impact he really makes!” I like physicality but he is not even close to being worth that money. He’s making essentially the same as James Neal who was a UFA... it’s a terrible contract. At the end of the day, stats matter when you’re making money like that. He doesn’t produce enough.

Reactions: Thallis

Meatball

Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Ok but Blues fans said the same thing about Reaves lol. I get that Wilson is a better player than him, but the “ask Caps fans” argument doesn’t apply. Of course they will say that, because they picked him in the 1st round and are still holding out hope that he will be better than what he currently is. Like Blues fans did with Reaves, Caps fans overrate Wilson by using the argument “you have to watch the games to see the impact he really makes!” I like physicality but he is not even close to being worth that money. He’s making essentially the same as James Neal who was a UFA... it’s a terrible contract. At the end of the day, stats matter when you’re making money like that. He doesn’t produce enough.

I get why people are freaking out over the contract, and even had the same reaction at first, but wanted more info as to why the 6y/31m instead of immediately jumping on the hate bandwagon or looking only at the statline.

I completely get the Tom Wilson hate, imagine if he played for the Avs, Jets or Preds, for example.

The Reaves comparison isn't exactly fair. We know how skilled Reaves can be, but he has panned out at this point, Wilson, otoh, has time.

I'm not defending the guy, just trying to gain a clearer understanding as to why this deal was made, and to me, the deeper I look, the more sense it makes.

They have him locked up during his prime years (24-30), he's still young and there's room for growth in his game, and they also just won a cup with him (playing important minutes too).

All that said, I hope for Caps fan's sake he turns out to be this game-changing PF. Otherwise, look at the Bickell or Clarkson contracts...

Ultimately, this has little consequnce for us, the Caps are in the East and we won't be among the teams he'll terrorize night-in and night-out.

Time will tell.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Wilson is the kind of player people love to hate unless he's on your team. I think the Caps paid too much, but you can't deny his very valid contribution to their SC run. I would love him on St. Louis, but not at that price.

Reactions: shmotz

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Wilson is the kind of player people love to hate unless he's on your team. I think the Caps paid too much, but you can't deny his very valid contribution to their SC run. I would love him on St. Louis, but not at that price.

I hate guys like that even when they're on my team. See Ott, Steve and Lapierre, Maxim. Headhunters like them only make the game more dangerous for everybody.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I can understand the value that bottom six energy guys like Wilson provide but you don’t need to sign them for 6 years at 5+ AAV. One good playoff run playing with some of the best players in the league doesn’t warrant that kind of commitment.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Looks like Troy Brouwer is going to be bought out by the flames...thank gooodness we didn't sign him to a god awful contract.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like Troy Brouwer is going to be bought out by the flames...thank gooodness we didn't sign him to a god awful contract.
Hey, don't bash Brouwer he was Oshie replacement. Great player like Oshie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->