Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaPietrangelo

Bluesily optimistic
Jan 14, 2017
London, UK
"How is that determined? Given the average age of NHL players to begin the 2017-18 season was a shade over 27, we considered only players who are 27 or younger."

Because he's too old for the list.

And Schenn is absolutely part of the core, I don't know why you put that in quotes...

Thanks for the clarifications—I must have overlooked the '27 or younger' stipulation.

Isn't that a bit of an odd line in the sand for them to draw though? Surely many other NHL teams have core players over age 27...

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Thanks for the clarifications—I must have overlooked the '27 or younger' stipulation.

Isn't that a bit of an odd line in the sand for them to draw though? Surely many other NHL teams have core players over age 27...

The whole point of the article is showing teams who have their “young” core locked up. Most players peak offensively from 25-27 range. They had a to draw a line someplace. Pietrangelo is the cornerstone of the Blues, but he for the purposes of the article, he’s not included.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Man it’s going to be interesting to see what the Jets do with Trouba. Reportedly a whopping 3 mil apart in arbitration numbers (Jets at 4, Trouba at 7). That’s one of the biggest gaps I can remember.

I think they should pony up and sign him long term.

If offer sheets were a thing, a team coming in and signing Josh Morrisey could really put a wrench in their plans.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Odd that they didn't include Parayko for the Blues. :dunno:

Man it’s going to be interesting to see what the Jets do with Trouba. Reportedly a whopping 3 mil apart in arbitration numbers (Jets at 4, Trouba at 7). That’s one of the biggest gaps I can remember.

I think they should pony up and sign him long term.

If offer sheets were a thing, a team coming in and signing Josh Morrisey could really put a wrench in their plans.
Take this with an ENORMOUS grain of salt, but a couple months ago I was shooting the shit talking with a buddy I play hockey with about the NHL before a skate and he mentioned growing up in Detroit and knowing Trouba's family well. I asked him what he thought about Trouba re-signing in Winnipeg and he thought there was no way he would re-sign there. I believe he used the words "zero chance." Granted this was before the jets' playoff run, and winning can obviously have a huge impact on a decision like this. However, I was a bit surprised by just how forceful/certain he was that Trouba had no interest in playing in Winnipeg long term.

I think Trouba might be willing to re-sign in Winnipeg, but would require top dollar to do so (hence the 7mill ask). If I had to guess what the jets do with Trouba, I think they'll trade him and re-sign Myers. I don't have anything concrete to back this up, I am not an insider, or even particularly intelligent haha. But I do trust the guy I play hockey with. He's a smart guy (doctor/surgeon), I know for a fact he grew up in Detroit, and he had absolutely zero reason to lie or make up a story like this.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Odd that they didn't include Parayko for the Blues. :dunno:

Take this with an ENORMOUS grain of salt, but a couple months ago I was shooting the **** talking with a buddy I play hockey with about the NHL before a skate and he mentioned growing up in Detroit and knowing Trouba's family well. I asked him what he thought about Trouba re-signing in Winnipeg and he thought there was no way he would re-sign there. I believe he used the words "zero chance." Granted this was before the jets' playoff run, and winning can obviously have a huge impact on a decision like this. However, I was a bit surprised by just how forceful/certain he was that Trouba had no interest in playing in Winnipeg long term.

I think Trouba might be willing to re-sign in Winnipeg, but would require top dollar to do so (hence the 7mill ask). If I had to guess what the jets do with Trouba, I think they'll trade him and re-sign Myers. I don't have anything concrete to back this up, I am not an insider, or even particularly intelligent haha. But I do trust the guy I play hockey with. He's a smart guy (doctor/surgeon), I know for a fact he grew up in Detroit, and he had absolutely zero reason to lie or make up a story like this.
Well don’t forget that Trouba has already previously requested a trade, 2 years ago when they were having their first contract dispute.

And here we go again, so it just seems like a long-term fit between both sides probably won’t work.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
The pressure will be on WPG this year to win a cup. That defense without Trouba isn’t very special - especially as Byfuglien ages. Getting a good return on Trouba will be key to staying competitive in the Central unless they can fill-out at center.

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015
The pressure will be on WPG this year to win a cup. That defense without Trouba isn’t very special - especially as Byfuglien ages. Getting a good return on Trouba will be key to staying competitive in the Central unless they can fill-out at center.

Winnipeg RH defense falls aparts after this year unless they extend one of Myers or Trouba. You have 3 more years of Buff which he will be 36 and on his decline. Myers has 1 year 5.5 left and he is UFA. Trouba is 5.5 (if they accept it, which they will I assume) for one year and still keep his rights, but kinda gets scary with the trade request couple years ago and contract dispute they have had so far.

I would assume they try to sign him longer term, but I wonder how far off of a long term deal they are if for 1 year Winnipeg was at 4 mill and Trouba at 7 mill.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I thought the team could choose a 1 or 2 yr contract in arbitration. Did the Jets choose 1 yr? That doesn't make sense to me.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I thought the team could choose a 1 or 2 yr contract in arbitration. Did the Jets choose 1 yr? That doesn't make sense to me.
Yes, as Trouba was the one who elected for arbitration, the team is allowed to select whether he gets awarded a 1 or 2 year contract. As Trouba is a UFA in 2 years, it makes sense that they chose a 1 year deal so his rights remains with the club after this season.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Yes, as Trouba was the one who elected for arbitration, the team is allowed to select whether he gets awarded a 1 or 2 year contract. As Trouba is a UFA in 2 years, it makes sense that they chose a 1 year deal so his rights remains with the club after this season.
Ahh. I wasnt aware of how close he was to UFA. Thanks!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Eh, I've missed totally Suomela went to Sharks. Tho, I doubt he could fit our team in currenlty. He's offensive forward and not so good at defensively, but fast as hell (I mean really really fast), slick hands and can score too. Interesting to see how he handles NA rink and physical game.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Jets should just give Trouba his $7M/year and hope he grows into that contract. They can't very well let him enter '19-'20 in his walk year and risk losing him for nothing. As a rental, he could potentially do what Shattenkirk did limiting the return for the GM, so the options to not-signing Trouba aren't great.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Eh, I've missed totally Suomela went to Sharks. Tho, I doubt he could fit our team in currenlty. He's offensive forward and not so good at defensively, but fast as hell (I mean really really fast), slick hands and can score too. Interesting to see how he handles NA rink and physical game.

Wow, that goalie was not square to the shot at all...guess he wasn't ready for Suomela's speed.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So if you’re Trouba, you don’t go for arbitration next year right? Otherwise the Jets will assuredly take the 2 years and then you’ve lost out on a year of UFA.

I agree with @Vincenzo Arelliti. The pressure is on now for the Jets. I’m a little surprised they haven’t done more to try to replace Stastny.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Both Winnipeg and Nashville seem to be on timers: Winnipeg with Trouba and their best forwards being on ELCs, and Nashville with their sweetheart defense contracts expiring soon. I don’t want to say that the timer is a countdown to irrelevancy, but it is definitely a countdown to having to make some tough choices that could put them on that path. Neither team has a lot of incoming talent past what they are currently putting on the roster, and the teams around them are getting better.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Both Winnipeg and Nashville seem to be on timers: Winnipeg with Trouba and their best forwards being on ELCs, and Nashville with their sweetheart defense contracts expiring soon. I don’t want to say that the timer is a countdown to irrelevancy, but it is definitely a countdown to having to make some tough choices that could put them on that path. Neither team has a lot of incoming talent past what they are currently putting on the roster, and the teams around them are getting better.
Tolvanen and Vesalainen should be producing sooner than later.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would include both as “what they are currently putting on the roster”.
We'll they might Be do it sooner then Kyrou and Kostin. And Vesalainen and Tolvanen has so much higher ceiling compare Kyrou and Kostin.

Tolvanen could become Tarasenko and Vesalainen is so much what Rantanen was when he was drafted. Both have good future.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
We'll they might Be do it sooner then Kyrou and Kostin. And Vesalainen and Tolvanen has so much higher ceiling compare Kyrou and Kostin.

Tolvanen could become Tarasenko and Vesalainen is so much what Rantanen was when he was drafted. Both have good future.

I don't see Tolvanen making as big of an impact as others. I know Tarasenko came in and started producing but not every point producer from Europe comes in and does it right away. I agree that Tolvanen and Vesalainen have extremely high upsides, but give Kostin and Kyrou time. You don't know what any of them will be able to do with the right people around them.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Scott Wheeler with his top 50 prospects under 23 and not in NHL out today. Don’t agree at all with his recent draft bias.

Has Kyrou ahead of Thomas at 16 and 17 respectively. He has way too many kids from this years draft in the top 10. Also Vilardi significantly overrated. Watch the Kingston vs Hamilton games I’ve been posting and you’ll see what I mean.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Scott Wheeler with his top 50 prospects under 23 and not in NHL out today. Don’t agree at all with his recent draft bias.

Has Kyrou ahead of Thomas at 16 and 17 respectively. He has way too many kids from this years draft in the top 10. Also Vilardi significantly overrated. Watch the Kingston vs Hamilton games I’ve been posting and you’ll see what I mean.
I agree with your disagreeing.

Deffinently recency bias, though I havnt watched the kids in question given our pick wasnt available. I only caught 1 Kingston vs Hamilton game and Viliardi had his lunch money stolen by Thomas and crew.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Uhh, how did he have too many players from this year's draft?

Dahlin is the most hyped prospect since McDavid, Svechnikov looks like the second coming of Ilya Kovalchuk, Zadina's goal scoring looks to be elite, and Quinn Hughes is one of the more hyped defensive prospects in the 2018 draft with incredible high-end potential. I may not like Hughes, personally, because his play-style seems far too niche, but the talent is there. In all honesty, I'm surprised there are only four in the top-10.

As for Vilardi, he didn't have the best series against Hamilton, but the guy's potential is sky-high. He's like Scheifele in that he really doesn't have a weakness that will hold him back from being a legitimate threat. I personally don't view Thomas being significantly better at this moment.

I have a few quibbles with the listings, but I think it was a pretty solid list. I actually like stylistic biases in prospect evaluators, as long as they're consistent, because I get a chance to hear different viewpoints.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Uhh, how did he have too many players from this year's draft?

Dahlin is the most hyped prospect since McDavid, Svechnikov looks like the second coming of Ilya Kovalchuk, Zadina's goal scoring looks to be elite, and Quinn Hughes is one of the more hyped defensive prospects in the 2018 draft with incredible high-end potential. I may not like Hughes, personally, because his play-style seems far too niche, but the talent is there. In all honesty, I'm surprised there are only four in the top-10.

As for Vilardi, he didn't have the best series against Hamilton, but the guy's potential is sky-high. He's like Shiefele in that he really doesn't have a weakness that will hold him back from being a legitimate threat. I personally don't view Thomas being significantly better at this moment.

I have a few quibbles with the listings, but I think it was a pretty solid list. I actually like stylistic biases in prospect evaluators, as long as they're consistent, because I get a chance to hear different viewpoints.
The little I saw of Viliardi....he's slow. I wouldn't say Thomas is head and shoulders better but Thomas is an excellent skater with that offensive upside. Dont know about 2 way game comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->