Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The meltdown would have been epic had the lowly Canadiens gone into Toronto and taken game one. I was pulling for Montreal to finish it quickly in OT, but to no avail. I think many will enjoy the failings of the Leafs this season...even more so than usual.

The Sharks as a team don't impress me. I keep hearing about how great that defense is...but those two Norris winners leave a LOT to be desired with their play in their own zone. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish a distant 3rd in that division (behind Vegas and Anaheim) and possibly lower with Coyotes and Kings better than last year. Flames still suck in my opinion, but will finish ahead of EDM & VAN.

It would be great if the Sharks miss the playoffs and Karlsson signs for another team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The meltdown would have been epic had the lowly Canadiens gone into Toronto and taken game one. I was pulling for Montreal to finish it quickly in OT, but to no avail. I think many will enjoy the failings of the Leafs this season...even more so than usual.

The Sharks as a team don't impress me. I keep hearing about how great that defense is...but those two Norris winners leave a LOT to be desired with their play in their own zone. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish a distant 3rd in that division (behind Vegas and Anaheim) and possibly lower with Coyotes and Kings better than last year. Flames still suck in my opinion, but will finish ahead of EDM & VAN.
Strange, I thought they already won the cup :laugh:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Pretty funny when that PP unit with Karlsson and Burns gave up 3 short-handed goals in the last preseason game.

Reactions: Dbrownss

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS

I almost had a meltdown when I tuned in at the end of the 3rd and it was tied 2-2. Don't care for either team, but the Leafs were my big bet for the night considering it should have been a no-brainer.

Reactions: stl76

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Anyone else getting a chuckle out of trouble in leaf paradise? Cant get Nylander to sign and it doesn't sound like any of the kids will give them a break

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Anyone else getting a chuckle out of trouble in leaf paradise? Cant get Nylander to sign and it doesn't sound like any of the kids will give them a break
I wonder how much of the problems with Nylander are down to Matthews. If Matthews was willing to take a "discount" then I imagine that the deal would have been done on July 1. So I think it is highly likely he's wanting more than the $11m that Tavares is on.

It is understandable for Nylander to look at that and think that he isn't going to take a discount if the top players aren't going to either.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Yeah, except I drafted Nylander in our fantasy league. (I don't mind if he holds out, its funny.) We'll just keep subbing in Ty Rattie!

Its got to be hard for an athlete to watch his team play and not be a part of it, in a closeknit team game like hockey.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah, except I drafted Nylander in our fantasy league. (I don't mind if he holds out, its funny.) We'll just keep subbing in Ty Rattie!

Its got to be hard for an athlete to watch his team play and not be a part of it, in a closeknit team game like hockey.
Probably does, but it's crazy to hear everyone expect him to accept 6m or whatever but Marner will get 9.5m and Matthews will get 11.5m. Im surprised he didnt offer up a 1yr for the leads, go nuclear and rake them over the coals.

Just hilarious after the comments from the GM about being able to sign eveyone

Reactions: simon IC and Alklha

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The $6m stuff is hilarious. If memory serves the $6m contracts were basically set by the Oilers 5-6 years ago now. So that is when the cap was $64.3m, which would make $7.4 be the comparable now. There isn't any reason to expect to get players signing long term for $6m coming off their ELC.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Given the talent in that top 6, Nylander is going to put up more then 60pts. He would instantly be underpaid.

My general rule of thumb is 1m per 10pts

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Vlassic is one of the better (read: the best imo) pure defensive dmen in the league. Braun is also solid from a pure shut-down perspective. Karlsson, while not the best defender, has improved that aspect of his game tremendously through his career. Burns....Burns is still terrible at D. But the other guy can cover his deficiencies. Its a very solid top 4 and in the conversation for best with the Preds.
The question I have is whether their elite defense makes up for their just ok offense. Same applies to Nashville.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Oh agreed. I was just quibbling with the statement the D is overrated

Not only is the San Jose defense over-rated, i’ll go so far as to say it’s going to be closer to ‘mediocre’ than ‘good’. I think they’re going to have trouble getting favorable matchups for Burns & Karlsson (separately) and Vlasic can’t cover for both...nor will there be enough pucks to go around to get each the 70 points necessary to make you overlook the fact they’re both train wrecks defensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lmao Avs feed certainly isn't lacking any homerism. Their poll question was where the Avs finish in the Central.

Choices were 1st, 2nd, 3rd or other.

Their commentators:

"2nd"

"No lower than 3rd, that's a guarantee"

Reactions: stl76

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Miro Heiskanen's first Shift. Speechless. Idk, how finnish glasses or not look that, I'm amazed. That kid is going to be pain in the arse for us. 'Moves like Jagger I mean EK65'

Reactions: stl76 and KirkOut

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Miro Heiskanen's first Shift. Speechless. Idk, how finnish glasses or not look that, I'm amazed. That kid is going to be pain in the arse for us. 'Moves like Jagger I mean EK65'

Yeah, he's a good one. That was his first shift too, no? Certainly didn't look nervous. I think he maybe could've taken one more stride before that cross crease pass to get just a slightly better angle, but it was still a very nice play. If his shot is any good he'll be a big time producer with that skating and stickhandling ability.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Came here to post this. Holy crap he looks good

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Probably does, but it's crazy to hear everyone expect him to accept 6m or whatever but Marner will get 9.5m and Matthews will get 11.5m. Im surprised he didnt offer up a 1yr for the leads, go nuclear and rake them over the coals.

Just hilarious after the comments from the GM about being able to sign eveyone
"We can and we will" :laugh::lol::tvhappy: Ba ha ha ha ha!!

Reactions: Dbrownss

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I get it that he looks good but its 4 on 4 and OEL gave him a runway width path to go down...:dunno:
In the span of one shift, he showed a good deal of speed getting down the ice, the awareness and passing ability to make a good back-door setup without telegraphing it, a quick, hard wrist shot release while shooting from his off foot, good gap closure at the defensive line (subsequently walling off his man and winning the puck), having the presence of mind to smoothly evade a forechecker with a quick stop and hold up the rush so his forwards could make a quick change, and then he beat another guy with the puck before getting it deep (to an area where his team could attack with numbers) so he could make a change himself.

None of it was jaw-dropping, per se, but that was an impressively well-rounded, poised, and impactful 45 seconds for a 19 year old rookie D in his first NHL shift.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
In the span of one shift, he showed a good deal of speed getting down the ice, the awareness and passing ability to make a good back-door setup without telegraphing it, a quick, hard wrist shot release while shooting from his off foot, good gap closure at the defensive line (subsequently walling off his man and winning the puck), having the presence of mind to smoothly evade a forechecker with a quick stop and hold up the rush so his forwards could make a quick change, and then he beat another guy with the puck before getting it deep (to an area where his team could attack with numbers) so he could make a change himself.

None of it was jaw-dropping, per se, but that was an impressively well-rounded, poised, and impactful 45 seconds for a 19 year old rookie D in his first NHL shift.
I only watched half of it :laugh::laugh: that explains it, I thought it was just the initial rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad