Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I agree.

Toughness matters. Much like size matters.

You don't have to be tough. You don't have to be big. But it helps.
Depends on what you sacrifice to be tough. Speed and skill are far more important than toughness. Toughness is a luxury, not a necessity. Skill is a necessity. You can win on skill alone. You can’t win on toughness alone.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
He has worked couple previous summer to get better muscle for upperbody and core. He compared himself to floorball player when he was playing at Chicago.
So even Terevainen was critical of himself in Chicago. Then why are you salty at posters that agree with him and insinuate that they are racist?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Depends on what you sacrifice to be tough. Speed and skill are far more important than toughness. Toughness is a luxury, not a necessity. Skill is a necessity. You can win on skill alone. You can’t win on toughness alone.

I disagree with this a bit. Toughness and physicality are vital in a 7 game playoff series. You can soften up a team's d by physical play throughout the series which creates turnovers and sloppy outlets. You need to be able to grind things out to go along with skill.

Regular season, speed and skill wins out, but in playoffs - team there have similar skills/speed. Pitt - not quite as much, but LA, Chicago both had lines that would hit d hard and grind things out. They also had lots of skill, but you need both. I think you need all elements and can't just rely on 1 alone and I am not sure that one acts as a trump card.

Depth is another important item - luck with injuries is another. You need a lot of bounces that go your way in the post season.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I disagree with this a bit. Toughness and physicality are vital in a 7 game playoff series. You can soften up a team's d by physical play throughout the series which creates turnovers and sloppy outlets. You need to be able to grind things out to go along with skill.

Regular season, speed and skill wins out, but in playoffs - team there have similar skills/speed. Pitt - not quite as much, but LA, Chicago both had lines that would hit d hard and grind things out. They also had lots of skill, but you need both. I think you need all elements and can't just rely on 1 alone and I am not sure that one acts as a trump card.

Depth is another important item - luck with injuries is another. You need a lot of bounces that go your way in the post season.

You need a good D and goaltending too

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012

This is just reciting old NHL wives tales. You don’t need to “soften” anything up. You need to score more goals than your opponent in whatever fashion you can get them. Pittsburgh and Chicago had very little toughness when they won the Cup, certainly no more than we do now. They won with speed and skill throughout the lineup. You need a fourth line that can give you reliable minutes without being a total liability just to give the top guys enough rest to be ready. They usually are grinder types because those are the cheapest and easiest pieces to find, but they don’t have to be. They just need to play 10-13 minutes without being scored on. That’s a good fourth line.

Depth is important, but depth in speed and skill. Make the other team pick their poison about which line they’re going to stop. You make them adjust to you. That’s what Pittsburgh and Chicago have done so well. Tough matchup on Crosby? Good luck stopping Malkin and Kessel. Same thing with the top two lines in Chicago. Hopefully we can establish something similar here. Either you have to send out your shutdown unit against O’Reilly/Tarasenko or Schenn/Schwartz. Our bottom six looks different than most teams, but they shouldn’t be a liability and should chip in offensively. They won’t be “hard to play against” in a traditional sense, but they will be hard to match up against which is our strength. I don’t have any problems with the makeup of the team.

Reactions: Thallis and Jetmech

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Watching that video makes me sick to my stomach. Watching Oscar's head snap like that, its very unsettling. The overhead view wasn't shown during the game to my recollection.

Reactions: The Note in MI

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Man, Caps fans are PISSED right now at DoPS. I actually thought this was pretty fair for his 4th suspension in 105 games. I think it's more because he's a repeat offender than anything else.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I expected ~8 just because it's who the DoPS are. It absolutely deserves 20. I hope this is a marker that we're going to start seeing tougher suspensions.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Feels good to have identified toxic posters so well from previous macho garbage comments that the Wilson thread on the main boards is almost entirely crapping on Wilson defenders, but none of their original messages.

Reactions: The Note in MI

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
A few Caps fans have really pissed me off. There are a handful that acted like them and Wilson were "getting back" at the Blues for Bortuzzo's hit on Kempny. Which is just asinine. Wilson started the whole thing last year between these two teams, and he already has a longer history than Bortuzzo despite not being in the league as long.

Granted, I have also seen some Caps fans that are pissed at Wilson, so I commend them. But his defenders are infuriating. Don't act like the victim just because somebody on your team has a concussion when you employ the dirtiest player in the league.

He deserves every bit of this and I'm glad that the next time he does this, he will probably get 40 games.

Reactions: nonzerochance

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The DoPS video does a very good job explaining the situation. I can understand some who may feel it is a little excessive, but anyone watching that video and arguing that it was a clean/not terrible hit... I wouldn't even waste my time responding.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if his next suspension is a season. He's a special case
And there will be a next time unless he drastically changes. So either way this is a really big step for the league. Win-win tbh.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
When comparing my expectations vs. DPS previous history. I’m satisfied with the number of games.

On a side note, Even though I really like the Bruins, Marchand should remember this decision. If he continues his tactics. He will see the same thing happen to him.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
And there will be a next time unless he drastically changes. So either way this is a really big step for the league. Win-win tbh.
Yep that's why I worded it like that :laugh:. We know clownshoes will do it again.

I enjoy those that are still defending this, Wilson could have literally shifted the hit to the left of held up a split second and drove this his body. Sure some would have poo poo"d about it but it would have been a good hit. His hit in Dunn in the previous game was unnecessary but clean. Dunn responded by putting him in a headlock and throwing him to the ice. On that note...you can tell Dunn has that attitude where he doesnt care who he goes after. Not sure if that's good or not lol.

I have a problem with the Caps in general. This crap is coached. All their try hards were jumping into hits in Stl and the look on their coaches face after the Wilson ejection is sickening.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
giphy.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yep that's why I worded it like that :laugh:. We know clownshoes will do it again.

I enjoy those that are still defending this, Wilson could have literally shifted the hit to the left of held up a split second and drove this his body. Sure some would have poo poo"d about it but it would have been a good hit. His hit in Dunn in the previous game was unnecessary but clean. Dunn responded by putting him in a headlock and throwing him to the ice. On that note...you can tell Dunn has that attitude where he doesnt care who he goes after. Not sure if that's good or not lol.

I have a problem with the Caps in general. This crap is coached. All their try hards were jumping into hits in Stl and the look on their coaches face after the Wilson ejection is sickening.
Yep, I really don't like the Caps at all anymore.

I've been rooting for Pittsburgh against them every year in the playoffs. And I actually like a lot of the Pens fans, plus they loathe Wilson as well.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yep, I really don't like the Caps at all anymore.

I've been rooting for Pittsburgh against them every year in the playoffs. And I actually like a lot of the Pens fans, plus they loathe Wilson as well.
Games like this is why I'm happy we have a guy like Kostin in the system. He would crush Wilson's orbital socket for this shit

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It absolutely did. Listening to the Audio from DPS and replace Tom Wilson with Brad Marchand and it is 100% believe able.
I'm fine with hits that just dont go they way the player intended getting short suspension but Marchand and Wilson look to injure people. They need huge suspensions.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
what a boring cup celebration that drags on too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->