Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Tage Thompson coming alive for the Sabres. Just scored his 4th of the year to give the Sabres a 4-3 3rd period lead in Tampa.
Not missing him. Think he will be decent middle 6 winger but don't see high upside. I assume you were being facetious pointing to his 4 goals in 20+ games? Heck, Laine had more goals than that Saturday night.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Not missing him. Think he will be decent middle 6 winger but don't see high upside. I assume you were being facetious pointing to his 4 goals in 20+ games? Heck, Laine had more goals than that Saturday night.
I just remember we have Sanford, dont miss Toe Drag Thompson

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Laine is like Backes, zero celebrations when he scores. Btw he scored his 100 goal of his career.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
At what point does the NHL cut his career?

This is getting stupid.

Enough is enough. Sure that wasn't a "as bad" but he absolutely knows better. The excuses that Capitals representatives have to make for this guy are unbearable.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Here's the thing, in my view, about the Wilson situation.

1. I don't think Wilson should get suspended for hits that other players aren't going to get suspended for, just because of his long history of suspensions. A hit is suspension-worthy or not independent of who made the hit. I think this encourages plays to be physical, using the part of their game that got them into the league in the first place, without going over the line.

2. If a Wilson hit IS suspension worthy, the 20 games (well, 16 I guess) should be the minimum going forward regardless of how bad the hit is. At some point, when you've done as much damage as this guy has done and been hit upside the head by DoPS as often as he has, you should be in the "Serial Offender" category and every suspension should be equal to or greater than your last one. It's the only way these types of players will learn, and it allows them to take themselves out of the league if they can't stop running around the ice being a POS.

I know not everyone sees it that way, just my $0.02 - I just don't think the hit itself warrants a suspension.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Here's the thing, in my view, about the Wilson situation.

1. I don't think Wilson should get suspended for hits that other players aren't going to get suspended for, just because of his long history of suspensions. A hit is suspension-worthy or not independent of who made the hit. I think this encourages plays to be physical, using the part of their game that got them into the league in the first place, without going over the line.

2. If a Wilson hit IS suspension worthy, the 20 games (well, 16 I guess) should be the minimum going forward regardless of how bad the hit is. At some point, when you've done as much damage as this guy has done and been hit upside the head by DoPS as often as he has, you should be in the "Serial Offender" category and every suspension should be equal to or greater than your last one. It's the only way these types of players will learn, and it allows them to take themselves out of the league if they can't stop running around the ice being a POS.

I know not everyone sees it that way, just my $0.02 - I just don't think the hit itself warrants a suspension.

Here’s the distinction on the way the dops must evaluate hits by Wilson vs hits by a player with no history of predatory behavior:

Evaluation of a hit often includes some effort to gauge the player’s intent in delivering the hit. While a player with a clean record might get the benefit of the doubt on intent, Wilson with his history can’t be given the benefit of the doubt anymore. If Wilson had learned his lesson, he would probably avoid open ice hits from behind.....bc the league is really not in a position to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding his intent with such a hit.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Woof. All that holding the line for the leafs and then they caved at the last minute. That’s a brutal contract given the totality is the circumstances.

Knowing that Matthews and Marner need a new contract next year... Going to be hard for them to fit all of that under the cap.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
100% a summer trade, carrying a cap hit of almost 10.3mil for the remainder of the season eliminates a large number of potential suitors.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
No NTC on Nylander. That contract is to preserve the asset to trade. He won't be on the Leafs come playoffs.
tenor.gif

Reactions: stlwahoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad