Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I think Hitch is a great move for Edmonton. He has his flaws, but you know what he brings to the table. If the Oilers still can't get consistent play even with Hitch, then you know how bad the problems are. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they end up squeaking into the playoffs

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think Hitch is a great move for Edmonton. He has his flaws, but you know what he brings to the table. If the Oilers still can't get consistent play even with Hitch, then you know how bad the problems are. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they end up squeaking into the playoffs
I smiled watching him in the post-game interview. He brings a sense of confidence and stability. He'll have that team playing with structure and purpose. There will be trade-offs, but that team needs to do something different than they had been. If I were an Edmonton fan, I'd be happy with the move. I bet they are in the playoff hunt at the end of the year, if the GM doesn't do something stupid. Hitchcock can probably also give Lucic a role he can succeed with.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Lol yep was just thinking about how much it sucks for Rattie that Hitch is the coach that gets hired there.

Dec 15, 2002
I'm sure Hitch has learned some new tricks over the years but Brett Hull does like to tell the story of Hitch attempting to turn Mike Modano into a checking center.
When Kelly Chase was on NHL Network Radio the other night, he was asked about how Hitchcock would impact McDavid. Chase joked that "it'll probably cost McDavid about 40 points this season" but then went on to talk about the impact Hitchcock had in Dallas and that he probably cost Modano 300 points off his final career total but helped round out Modano's all-around game and that helped him win a Cup, and then closed with "I guess you'll have to ask Mike which one of those two he'd rather have had."

So if I'm an Oilers fan, I don't panic over this. [Unless McDavid winning Ross Trophies and the team finishing bottom-10 overall in the league year after year is what you really want.] At this point, you want the team to not regularly suck and Hitchcock will help move the team toward the upper half of the league.

Reactions: Dbrownss
Dec 15, 2002
He didn't do very well with Dallas, and Dallas probably had a better roster.
I don't know if I agree with that. I'd put that roster on par with ours. The big problem with Dallas was having Spezza go 8-18-26 on the season. That was a millstone the team had to work around. Hanzal being hurt down the stretch didn't help either. [And he's still out, and who knows when he'll be back.] Even in early March, they were sitting OK until they went on a 6-game road trip and peeled off 0-4-2 plus a couple more regulation losses; in there, Bishop went down for the count with 9 games to play. If not for some of that, Dallas is a 100-point team and in the playoffs; not a WCF contender per se, but it looks better than it ended up being.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'm assuming this trade was due to salary cap constraints in Chicago? I thought N. Schmaltz was a decent player for them.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think Arizona wins the trade
Agree that they probably win that trade, but it highlights why Arizona still aren't good. 3rd overall & 12th overall in recent drafts and they are trading them for Nick Schmaltz. Zacha is the only player taken in the top-10 that isn't far ahead of Strome at this point.

Dec 15, 2002
Agree that they probably win that trade, but it highlights why Arizona still aren't good. 3rd overall & 12th overall in recent drafts and they are trading them for Nick Schmaltz.
Yeah, but their GM has mad skilz with teh analytics, so ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad