Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
What’s he supposed to do, publicly throw his own teammate under the bus? That’s just not gonna happen.
No, but last year in the preseason when Wilson boarded Blais crazy hard face first into the glass you could hear Osh on the radio screaming at Blais for not keeping his head up when he was literally facing the glass. He’s also bitched about Wilson’s suspensions in the past. He’s a f***ing idiot, both of them are. They deserve everything that comes their way.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
BUF vs. WPG last night - Berglund and Sobotka doing the same thing as 2017 STL, get puck, skate towards the boards, cough up puck, rinse repeat. Hutton kept them in the game, the Jets had so many high danger chances.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Remember when there was a small groundswell of support for going after Luke Schenn around here?

He can officially be had for free. Anaheim waived him.
(Sheepishly putting hand up ...) :D Small groundswell here ... Are we sure he couldn't be useful? Could he be worse than Bouwmeester right now?

Reactions: CoMoBlues

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Schenn would be really good RD depth. He's only making 800k. Let him sit in the press box. I would rather have him as an emergency callup than Mitch Reinke. We could dearly use his grit. I want Luke Schenn!

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Who are you waiving so that he can sit in the press box?
Yeah, okay you got me. I didn't think this completely through. (I've had a couple of beers. :)). My obvious answer, (and I think that of many others!), would be Bouwmeester. We all know that is not going to happen though, and I reluctantly admit Bouw is a better defenseman than Schenn. I was just thinking out loud, don't mind me. ;) However, with Gunnarsson out, we are one injury away from an AHL emergency call-up. I prefer the idea of Schenn much more than Butler, Mikkola, Walman or Reinke.

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Sobtoka, Berglund and Lehtera have 11 points between them at small cost of 12 million dollars lol.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It's funny how there are really no BAD teams this year. EVERY team in the East is within one win of their regulation-loss total. Only the Blues, Kings and (last year's Cup Finalist) Golden Knights can't say the same thing at this point. There has never been more parity. I'm totally down with calling this season a wash and grabbing a Kakko/Hughes/Dach-type of talent in the draft. Come back at it next year with a clean slate and new franchise forward, and spend the next 9 months fixing the goal-tending and defense. If the Blues drop the next three games, there no way to consider themselves anything but sellers forced to look to next year.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Thank you Oilers GM for reminding me that Armstrong is not that bad.

Back from the dead

the-undertaker-wwe-raw-hat.jpg

ken-hitchcock.jpg

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not so sure about that. I bet he has them playing well before the end of this season. That division isn't difficult to make a move in.

I don't think he'd be there long term, but for the rest of this season and maybe one after. Its almost a default interim gig.
He didn't do very well with Dallas, and Dallas probably had a better roster.

Todd McLellan is a good coach. He did just as good with SJ as Hitch did with the Blues. So I'm not seeing how this is an upgrade. McLellan also had a good year with the Oilers 2 years ago before they depleted their roster even more (trading Eberle for Strome, etc).

The Oilers roster isn't very good. They have absolutely nothing outside of the big 3 forwards (McDavid, Nuge, Drai).

I'll be surprised if Hitchcock has enough left in the tank to get any real results out of them, and even just "making the playoffs" shouldn't be good enough for a team with Connor McDavid. You need to be a perennial contender that plays a fast, attacking style of hockey when you have the best player in the world. I'm not quite sure what Hitch's defensive style that gets bounced in the 1st round is going to accomplish in Edmonton. And if he retires again in one year, they're back in the same boat.

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'm not so sure about that. I bet he has them playing well before the end of this season. That division isn't difficult to make a move in.

I don't think he'd be there long term, but for the rest of this season and maybe one after. Its almost a default interim gig.

Oilers fan here. This is kind of what I'm thinking makes logical sense here (not that Oilers management tend to use logic when making decisions, but I digress). From a Blues fan point of view what should we expect from Hitch in 2018?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Oilers fan here. This is kind of what I'm thinking makes logical sense here (not that Oilers management tend to use logic when making decisions, but I digress). From a Blues fan point of view what should we expect from Hitch in 2018?
A slower, more defensive style of play that limits shots against. You will probably give up less goals, but as stated above that's not likely to be a recipe for success for McDavid's team. It didn't work out for Dallas who had a similar roster (firepower up front, not much defense to speak of).

By all means I wish the best of luck to the Oilers. We're in the same boat here as far as rooting for frustrating, underperforming teams. I just think Hitch's time is up as a coach, but we'll see.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
A slower, more defensive style of play that limits shots against. You will give up less goals, but as stated above that's not likely to be a recipe for success for McDavid's team. It didn't work out for Dallas who had a similar roster (firepower up front, not much defense to speak of).

By all means I wish the best of luck to the Oilers. We're in the same boat here as far as rooting for frustrating, underperforming teams. I just think Hitch's time is up as a coach, but we'll see.

Yeah unfortunately that's what I was expecting to hear.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think this is a move you make if your team doesn't know how to defend.

Hitchcock will impose a strict structure, which will reduce the opponents time of possession and shot totals. This comes at a price, with the forwards having more responsibility in their own zone. But as an outsider looking in, this can be a good step toward a long-term hire in a season and a half (or maybe even next year). I also bet Talbot will suddenly look a lot better.

Reactions: Irish Blues

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

I'm sure Hitch has learned some new tricks over the years but Brett Hull does like to tell the story of Hitch attempting to turn Mike Modano into a checking center. Seriously, though, things will probably get better (Hitch will definitely limit your goals against) and we wish you the best. We are in the same boat.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Do we have another video tribute for Hitch when he comes back to town next month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad