Around the NHL - Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Will the owners want a 82 games schedule when they know for certain they might not be able to have fans or only 50%.
Recently Bettman said it might be a condensed schedule. He suggested 12 games (cycle) at a city then one week off for players to go home.

Reactions: Gabriel426

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
^^^ Yes, just read that TSN article. They are considering a schedule with a lot of back to back divisional games, or 3 games in 4 days in each (divisional) city. It would only be a 48 to 62 game schedule though as NBC wants to finish by mid July 2021 so they can cover the Olympics. Who knows what they end up with. Its a tough situation.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
^^^ Yes, just read that TSN article. They are considering a schedule with a lot of back to back divisional games, or 3 games in 4 days in each (divisional) city. It would only be a 48 to 62 game schedule though as NBC wants to finish by mid July 2021 so they can cover the Olympics. Who knows what they end up with. Its a tough situation.
Im sure most fans would be happy to take whatever they can get. Whatever format is decided upon, my hope is that it finishes early enough so the 21/22 season can start on time the following October.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The Olympics? What's the betting odds that they happen? Call me a giant sceptic at this point. They'll probably be delayed a year or two. I appreciate that the NHL will probably work around this though, to work with their TV partners, that are optimistic... but probably will be disappointed.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Im sure most fans would be happy to take whatever they can get. Whatever format is decided upon, my hope is that it finishes early enough so the 21/22 season can start on time the following October.

Another fake season.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
No NHL Without a Return To Spectators

I saw in Forbes NHL Team Values 2020: Hockey’s First Decline In Two Decades that the individual team share in national television revenue is about $20M per season. Some rich teams have large local television deals (Montreal >$50M, Toronto >$40M, Rangers ~$35M) but most teams do not. With a $80M salary cap, every single NHL team including the rich ones mentioned require gate revenue to be a viable operation.

There will not be an NHL season without full gate receipts.

You say the NFL can make it work, why can't the NHL? Well, the NFL's individual team share in television money is $260M per team according to that article. The highest payroll in the NFL is around $250M (cash not cap https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cash/) with a median around $217M and the lowest down to $152M. You can see the difference. The most expensively rostered team can weather the small gates easily with so much television money and many teams are actually still making a profit with limited gates.

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
Even if the NHL decides to come back with zero fans again, I just dont see any games being played in Canada with the current situation. The Raptors were denied permission to play in Toronto and Ontario has that stupid no body checking rule in place now.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Even if the NHL decides to come back with zero fans again, I just dont see any games being played in Canada with the current situation. The Raptors were denied permission to play in Toronto and Ontario has that stupid no body checking rule in place now.
There wouldn't be 29 other teams crossing the border to come into Canada, and there would only be two teams playing out of ontario vs. the 17 that play in the OHL. Pretty safe to assume the same rules wouldn't apply to the NHL. Very different situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad