OT: Around the NHL - CONGRATS ST. LOUIS BLUES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Neal is one lucky sob when it comes to centers. Dude gets Modano, Ribiero and prime Brad Richards. Then Malkin. Johansen.

Then has to fend for himself for a couple of years. Has to be traded for arguably the worst contract in the league. And now gets the best freaking center in the game.

Reactions: Ignatius

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Neal is one lucky sob when it comes to centers. Dude gets Modano, Ribiero and prime Brad Richards. Then Malkin. Johansen.

Then has to fend for himself for a couple of years. Has to be traded for arguably the worst contract in the league. And now gets the best freaking center in the game.

It's kinda sad that he can't seem to get his act together to compel any team to WANT to keep him around to keep him for more than one season. I surmise a serious lack of mental maturity considering his age. I think he knows that there will always be at least one team out there willing to give hime a chance but at this point it would be hard to convince me that he is not his own worst enemy.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The way Elliotte Friedman references players getting "last chances" with teams, he makes it sound like players are aware of their job security. I wouldn't be surprised to see rumours about a trade request (from Neal) surface at some point during the season.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Tbh don’t hate it for the flames.

I think Lucic will be better (and cheaper) for Calgary than Neal would have been going forward. Not the worst play driver and prob better suited to the bottom 6 than Neal.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Lucic is the exact opposite of a play driver. He can still bring something to a team, but it’s not that.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
So what do peeps think about Trouba getting 8M per ? I personally thought he was a pretty good D, but I hesitate to say he is a true #1 D man in this league. This will certainly be the first time for him to be thrust in that role as THE guy on defense. Though he was 2nd in ATOI for the jets and I admit I don't watch the Jets all that often. Just kinda puts into perspective that Kris Letang has a 7.25M cap hit in comparison while putting up more time on the ice and more points for years now.

Personally 8M *might* be market value but it seems pretty high to me.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So what do peeps think about Trouba getting 8M per ? I personally thought he was a pretty good D, but I hesitate to say he is a true #1 D man in this league. This will certainly be the first time for him to be thrust in that role as THE guy on defense. Though he was 2nd in ATOI for the jets and I admit I don't watch the Jets all that often. Just kinda puts into perspective that Kris Letang has a 7.25M cap hit in comparison while putting up more time on the ice and more points for years now.

I thought Trouba would sign for about 7M and I was disappointed the Pens couldn't be in on that
But man, 8M? Yikes that's too much right now but in like 3 years he'll be seen as paid as an average defender

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

It's high but predictable. That's likely the going rate now for top pairing Dmen on long term deals. He's not an elite number 1, but with the right compliment, I think can form a good, not great, top pairing.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Lucic is the exact opposite of a play driver. He can still bring something to a team, but it’s not that.

Had best rel CF on his team and...

He still sucks but does way more than Neal outside of the point totals. Should get better linemates with Bennett/Jankowski/Ryan etc. too.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Also speaking of charts saw this in the Athletic... Svech is gonna be scary to deal with for the next decade. Already blows away the eye test too.

F99036C9-326B-4C20-BFEF-CA21B9289824.jpeg

After accounting for context, Svechnikov had the largest impact on 5-on-5 scoring chances in 2018-19 (which is pretty shocking in a league with offensive weapons like Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews). The fact that he did it at age 18 is even more frightening.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
TSN said:
... Florida has missed the playoffs in 16 of the last 18 seasons, hasn't won a playoff series since 1996 and will have had 16 coaches in 26 seasons when Quenneville makes his debut...

Jeez.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He was the guy on the Jets defense and was great the past two years.

The Rangers will have Skeji, D’Angelo and Shattenkirk. They have a decent enough D core where Trouba and more importantly Fox won’t get vicitimized.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Oilers make the 2011 Pens winger depth look good.

Kunitz, Dupuis, Kennedy, Cooke, Talbot Asham, Rupp, Adams, Conner shouldn’t be better than your wingers. Especially when your defense has Klefbom, Nurse and Larsson not Letang, Martin and Goligoski.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo and BHD

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oilers make the 2011 Pens winger depth look good.

Kunitz, Dupuis, Kennedy, Cooke, Talbot Asham, Rupp, Adams, Conner shouldn’t be better than your wingers. Especially when your defense has Klefbom, Nurse and Larsson not Letang, Martin and Goligoski.

The worst part is they literally could have Eberle and Hall right now. Instead of Larsson.

Reactions: BHD

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Him and McDavid are too dangerous together (think Sid and Guentzel). Draisaitl would be fine on his own line. However, McDavid maximizes his goal scoring ability.

McDavid would be sufficiently dangerous with others. The problem is that their winger depth is so bad that Drai probably can’t carry a line with two third/fourth liners.

Reactions: BHD and pixiesfanyo

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Him and McDavid are too dangerous together (think Sid and Guentzel)

Except Drai is way better than Guentzel. It'd be like if the Pens continually stacked Geno with Sid for their entire careers. They'd have sick numbers, but the team would suffer as a whole. They'd be better off splitting them. Elite centers at their ages should be able to elevate average talent.

Reactions: Turin

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Except Drai is way better than Guentzel. It'd be like if the Pens continually stacked Geno with Sid for their entire careers. They'd have sick numbers, but the team would suffer as a whole. They'd be better off splitting them. Elite centers at their ages should be able to elevate average talent.

Yup.

Keep inflating McDavid's numbers but struggle as a team. Its their main focus

Drai should be centering the 2nd line. Crosby had avg wingers yet still put up great numbers. McDavid needs Drai/RNH(two natural centers) on his line.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
McDavid would be sufficiently dangerous with others. The problem is that their winger depth is so bad that Drai probably can’t carry a line with two third/fourth liners.

Pens depth was no better in the early years. They were built the same. Strong down the middle. Diff is Crosby made guys like Dupuis better. McDavid needs a center on his line to produce...taking the center depth advantage away.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

I should have clarified. My point was that McDavid/Drai makes too much sense to break up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad