OT: Around the NHL - CONGRATS ST. LOUIS BLUES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
So, you're saying . . . Chia is going to be the next Wild GM, just to finish the job?

Why stop there. Bring back Lemaire as head coach and kill all interest in hockey in the Gopher State.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Wild are in hockey purgatory. They're not good enough to win a Cup and never were. But they're not bad enough to get a legit franchise changing player. That's the issue more than any GM.

I always got a chuckle out of their fans throwing out the stat of having the second longest playoff streak going until this last season when the number was 6 and resulted in a 13-29 record.

The Wild desperately needed that game-changing forward and they were expecting to get 2 of them with Parise & Granlund, but never got a 70 point season out of either of them. Completely f***ing up the expansion draft was a good way to expedite their fall from semi-grace into no man's land.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I always got a chuckle out of their fans throwing out the stat of having the second longest playoff streak going until this last season when the number was 6 and resulted in a 13-29 record.

The Wild desperately needed that game-changing forward and they were expecting to get 2 of them with Parise & Granlund, but never got a 70 point season out of either of them. Completely ****ing up the expansion draft was a good way to expedite their fall from semi-grace into no man's land.

The big issue with their recently-departed GM was that he was somehow finding a way to accentuate their mediocrity and indecisiveness. Signing old dudes to extensions/new contracts while making bizarre trades that were youth-infusing but at the wrong positions (check their LW depth compared to the rest of their miserable forward depth... it's truly weird). Their center depth is total trash so they, what... trade Nino for friggin' Rask? And then pass on a possible 2-4 year solution in Veleno in the 2018 draft for some off the board defenseman? Like... sure... sign Staal to an extension if you feel like that's better than shuffling him off for a high pick but at least have some stuff in the pipeline to bring in when he needs a walker to get around out there. Or keep trading for more left wings... I dunno.

Then there was all the nepotism and supposed behind the scenes issues. Just commit to the freakin' rebuild.

Honestly I had no idea they were such trash. Not only are they out West but are just thoroughly uninteresting and super bland. So I just didn't bother to keep up. But my goodness... after reading up a bit, they make any issues the Penguins have in their FO look tame in comparison.

Also doesn't it seem weird to anyone else that they let this guy run their draft and the important bits of FA before they finally said "wut?" It's funny that such a short tenure somehow seemed entirely too long. Goes to show how quickly unhinged incompetence can put a team back years.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

The Wild desperately needed that game-changing forward and they were expecting to get 2 of them with Parise & Granlund, but never got a 70 point season out of either of them. Completely ****ing up the expansion draft was a good way to expedite their fall from semi-grace into no man's land.

Could you imagine if the Pens signed Parise/Suter? Wow...that would have been a HUGE MISTAKE that I'm not sure we'd have those 2 Cups
Although I admittedly and desperately wanted Suter at the time. I thought he'd make an ideal defender for this team. I just wasn't as high on Parise

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Here's what Leipold had to say, per TSN...

That's pretty ******* bad. Worse still, as I noted yesterday, that someone with training in Nashville would be such an awful fit with the Preds former owner. That said, Leopold made the right move. If the fit was even half that bad, best to cut the cord ASAP.

Reactions: BHD

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Could you imagine if the Pens signed Parise/Suter? Wow...that would have been a HUGE MISTAKE that I'm not sure we'd have those 2 Cups
Although I admittedly and desperately wanted Suter at the time. I thought he'd make an ideal defender for this team. I just wasn't as high on Parise

Ha... see... I'm the exact opposite. I wasn't really interested in Suter and frankly wasn't super high on Parise either but wanted the latter here desperately in order to get some actual freakin' legit support on the wing for this team. I'm very happy neither of us got our wish.

The one that really shocked me is how many people here wanted to bend over backwards to land Kesler. Yikes.

Back to Minny for just a sec... they also haven't managed to re-sign possibly their best defenseman in Spugeon yet, either. Amid this entire mess.

Also their name is the "Wild" which is indescribably stupid.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ha... see... I'm the exact opposite. I wasn't really interested in Suter and frankly wasn't super high on Parise either but wanted the latter here desperately in order to get some actual freakin' legit support on the wing for this team. I'm very happy neither of us got our wish.

The one that really shocked me is how many people here wanted to bend over backwards to land Kesler. Yikes.

Back to Minny for just a sec... they also haven't managed to re-sign possibly their best defenseman in Spugeon yet, either. Amid this entire mess.

Nah, be fair. AT THE TIME, I 100% get why people would've wanted Kesler. Ideal 3C. Could slot into the top 6 a lot for shifts. PK. A SOB to play against. Made perfect sense.

Hell, so did wanting Parise/Suter.

Hard to know how it would've played out if either had happened, because the Pens would've been a better team at each moment for it.

BUT, better enough for it to lead to 2 cups before the cap hell scenario played out? Hard to imagine, because the Bylsma, Fleury, and young depth question marks all would've been there.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Don't get me started on my nostalgia trip.

The North Stars, Whalers, Nordiques all had names/logos that were freaking awesome

Speaking of logos, why in the frick couldn't they just go back to the old Jets logo when Winnipeg got their team back? Their new logo sucks and you can barely tell what it is. Guess I'm just a sucker for the classics

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nah, be fair. AT THE TIME, I 100% get why people would've wanted Kesler. Ideal 3C. Could slot into the top 6 a lot for shifts. PK. A SOB to play against. Made perfect sense.

The rationale I mostly saw was a continuation of the "Staalkin" horseshit and I can absolutely imagine that dolt Bylsma feeling the same way. Kesler was and is an ass and I seriously doubt he'd have been fine taking a full time 3C role, regardless of ice time. Hell Staal didn't want to and he's generally regarded as a pretty easy going, team-oriented guy.

Different strokes and all that but I was never a fan of the idea. Though again... I liked Parise at the time but cooled significantly when I found out he and Suter were some sort of asinine package deal. Too much money and too much risk. Which kind of bore itself out as time went on.

Don't get me started on my nostalgia trip.

The North Stars, Whalers, Nordiques all had names/logos that were freaking awesome

Speaking of logos, why in the frick couldn't they just go back to the old Jets logo when Winnipeg got their team back? Their new logo sucks and you can barely tell what it is. Guess I'm just a sucker for the classics

Ha! Same. I used to rock an old Nordiques jersey along with my usual Penguins stuff just because it seemed so... I dunno... foreign.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The rationale I mostly saw was a continuation of the "Staalkin" horse**** and I can absolutely imagine that dolt Bylsma feeling the same way. Kesler was and is an ass and I seriously doubt he'd have been fine taking a full time 3C role, regardless of ice time. Hell Staal didn't want to and he's generally regarded as a pretty easy going, team-oriented guy.

Different strokes and all that but I was never a fan of the idea. Though again... I liked Parise at the time but cooled significantly when I found out he and Suter were some sort of asinine package deal. Too much money and too much risk. Which kind of bore itself out as time went on.

Ha! Same. I used to rock an old Nordiques gear along with my usual Penguins stuff just because it seemed so... I dunno... foreign.

Oh, I absolutely think Bylsma would've screwed up using Kesler, just as he did with Iginla. BUT, that's why I said 'I get people wanting to make the move and why' but doubted we get the two cups and referenced the Bylsma factor.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh, I absolutely think Bylsma would've screwed up using Kesler, just as he did with Iginla. BUT, that's why I said 'I get people wanting to make the move and why' but doubted we get the two cups and referenced the Bylsma factor.
I see a lot of similarities between Dan and our current coach. I'm hoping this year I see less stubbornness and more openness to creative solutions and systems adjustments.

Dan is a guy that will be a coach again and maybe be fantastic at it again. But he needed to be humbled the f*** out. Being an assistant coach for a few years in Detroit will continue to do him good. I wouldn't be shocked if Blashill is fired in a year or two or whatever and disco is back as a coach. I don't think he was a bad coach, just insanely narrow minded and lacked creativity when it came to changing things he felt were him and being forced to change something thinking it meant he had to completely change.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Wild are in hockey purgatory. They're not good enough to win a Cup and never were. But they're not bad enough to get a legit franchise changing player. That's the issue more than any GM.
That can be fixed with a GM that purges the rest of that roster. They're at a point where trying to fix the team to make the playoffs this year just prolongs the problems. They need to move assets, get a lot of picks and young players and start the rebuild asap. They need to do it during the season though as it's too late and that's on ownership for waiting this long. The moment the granlund trade went down, he should have been fired.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

Only 6 more years of Parise and Suter, and then they will be to start a proper rebuild.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Montreal and Minnesota are two teams that I think should have tore it down years ago. They keep acquiring players with no real plan. Montreal tried building around a goalie which is just stupid.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That can be fixed with a GM that purges the rest of that roster. They're at a point where trying to fix the team to make the playoffs this year just prolongs the problems. They need to move assets, get a lot of picks and young players and start the rebuild asap. They need to do it during the season though as it's too late and that's on ownership for waiting this long. The moment the granlund trade went down, he should have been fired.

They moved and have been trying to move players.

Easier said than done when you have Parise and Suter signed for Crosby money for many years to come.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You can only buyout a salary higher than 3.5m during the special period. The rfa's salary doesnt matter.

Well I guess that means Johnson isn't an option.

Depressing though . . . the Rangers raced to buyout Shattenkirk and his near 7M awful hit, while Jim Rutherford continues to embrace the 7M in wasted space he's got tied up in Johnson and Gudbranson.

Although in JR's defense, Shattenkirk doesn't bring pushback to the table. :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's like I don't recall a thing regarding those rules.

Primer: Understanding the NHL's buyout period process

"The second buyout period only applies to teams that have salary arbitration cases that year. That period lasts for 48 hours, beginning on the third day following the team's last salary arbitration award or settlement. However, if the case was sent to arbitration by the team and not the player, and the team did not give the player a qualifying offer, then the team must have at least two total arbitration cases for the second buyout period to be allowed."

EDIT: Technically, since ZAR filed for arbitration, there was a window that opened for 48 hours three days after he and the Pens agreed to a deal. JR passed. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with dollars. He had a second chance to buyout Johnson and passed.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Primer: Understanding the NHL's buyout period process

"The second buyout period only applies to teams that have salary arbitration cases that year. That period lasts for 48 hours, beginning on the third day following the team's last salary arbitration award or settlement. However, if the case was sent to arbitration by the team and not the player, and the team did not give the player a qualifying offer, then the team must have at least two total arbitration cases for the second buyout period to be allowed."

EDIT: Technically, since ZAR filed for arbitration, there was a window that opened for 48 hours three days after he and the Pens agreed to a deal. JR passed. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with dollars. He had a second chance to buyout Johnson and passed.

This is from capfriendly:

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
  1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Requirements:
  1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $3,455,438 for the 2019 offseason

Reactions: Randy Butternubs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad