OT: Around the NHL - CONGRATS ST. LOUIS BLUES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You can't pay goalies this much in today's game

Most I'd shell out for a goalie right now at the top of his game is ~$6.5M
You are close 7.0 to 8.0 is fine if they are top of the heep goalies.

But then again I don't really think any player is worth paying over 5.0/6.0.

Past that is just status. It is partially why teams can't afford to ice good teams.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
With goalie equipment and skater stick technology, I have a hard time thinking there's any one goalie who can will a sorry team to a Cup, anymore.

I'd rather spend $8mil on 1.2-2 skaters.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
what a player and what a career.
JuzIHno.jpg

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Kunitz retires from the NHL to become a player development coach w/ the Hawks

He petered out pretty badly over the last several seasons, but he was a good player for a long time. Even when it was pretty much over for him with the Pens in 2017 he still delivered the best moment of that entire cup run with the 2OT goal in game 7 vs the Sens. I believe he was the only guy in the league who had won the cup 4 times, too.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
:laugh: Thats gotta be like a record for a GM. Man was he bad.

Not even close to the record, really. Neil Smith lasted just 41 days as GM of the New York Islanders before he was fired. He was then replaced by the guy who at the time he was hired was on the roster as the backup goaltender. Said former-backup-goalie-turned-GM then signed his erstwhile goaltending partner, Rick DiPietro, to a 15-year contract. Somehow, Garth Snow then retained the job for 12 years after that.

By comparison, this whole business with Fenton isn't all that strange!

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Not even close to the record, really. Neil Smith lasted just 41 days as GM of the New York Islanders before he was fired. He was then replaced by the guy who at the time he was hired was on the roster as the backup goaltender. Said former-backup-goalie-turned-GM then signed his erstwhile goaltending partner, Rick DiPietro, to a 15-year contract. Somehow, Garth Snow then retained the job for 12 years after that.

Wow thats crazy. The isles were a gongshow back then. Milbury to Neil Smith to Snow.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

If I remember correctly, DiPietro and that 15 yr contract was driven by the owner not Snow.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Can someone how players choose an organization to join after retirement. Kunitz spent a single season with the Hawks after being given his first chance (and first Cup) with the Ducks, followed by close to a decade (including three more Cup) with the Pens.

I'm not bitter or anything. Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad