OT: Around the NHL - CONGRATS ST. LOUIS BLUES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Can someone how players choose an organization to join after retirement. He spent a single season with the Hawks after being given his first chance (and first Cup) with the Ducks, followed by close to a decade (including three more Cup) with the Pens.

Well I think part of it is relational. Maybe Kunitz was closer with Botts vs JR? Or perhaps he connected w/ someone in the Chic front office?

Could also be that he reached out to the Pens and they said "sorry, we're full on player development coaches"

Reactions: BHD

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well I think part of it is relational. Maybe Kunitz was closer with Botts vs JR? Or perhaps he connected w/ someone in the Chic front office?

Could also be that he reached out to the Pens and they said "sorry, we're full on player development coaches"

His wife’s family is from Chicago...that’s why he went there to begin with...

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Jokes aside, he apprenticed under Poile in Nashville. One wouldn't think that would be the training background for perhaps the most inept GM since Milbury.

That is the saddest part of his time as GM. He spent years working with one of the best in the business.

Reactions: KIRK

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
That’s how bad of a job he was doing. Besides, numerous players were commenting on the “direction” of the organization. That says it all.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
But why wait til after Free Agency begins to fire him? The MZA contract isn't abysmal and Hartman is very reasonable. I guess it was more behind-the-scenes stuff?

That's the vibe I'm getting.

As for the Zucc contract, it's more to do with where the team is at. He signed an older player to a long-term contract after making all of those trades.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I was calling his firing sooner, the fact it took this long is embarrassing for that franchise. The guys they lost are hard to replace and the guys they got are a joke. Donato might be a damn good player though. But Rask? Ouch. A new gm basically has to come in and try to get as much back to get fans excited because if I'm a wild fan, this shit is depressing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's the vibe I'm getting.

As for the Zucc contract, it's more to do with where the team is at. He signed an older player to a long-term contract after making all of those trades.
Oh easily. It looked like he pissed off people there and when everyone was interviewed it was painfully obvious. Apparently he also had no real game plan at all. Like none. No clue.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Here's what Leipold had to say, per TSN...

"It wasn't a good fit. That was really it. The culture wasn't the same," Leipold said. "I didn't have the same vibes with our employees in hockey ops, and I think the attitude of some of the players and all the people and the coaching and in the locker room and in the training room, it was just a feeling that we didn't have the right leader for our organization."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad