Around the NHL - All The NHL News That's Fit (or Not) To Print

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
The real takeaway here is that we're gonna regret not signing Girgensons to 2.5x5 when he breaks out with 90 pens next year.

Are we taking the 29 cent office pens I have to use, a good Cross pen, or the really nice hand-made one I was given for Father's Day?

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
These guys are idiots. There's a cap. You're collectively getting your full value. Shifting more of the pie towards one player doesn't grow the pie.

It's more or less setting the expectation of bigger deals in the future. Yes, the cap technically creates a pie scenario only if all teams were up against the cap. The NHLPA technically speaking, Wants teams to to be near the cap... it makes the pie bigger.

Full value would be every team spending 100% to the cap.

And remember, there are 31 teams now. So there's 75M of "new" capspace available. NHLers contracts are pretty iron clad with the only out via buyout, which is also player friendly (Once they are over 26).

Thats not really how it works. Players are escrow'd so that they collectively only receive 50% of HRR no matter how close to the cap all teams spend. The cap next year is $75 million and the midpoint is $65.2 million. If every team spent to the midpoint, then every player would receive the full value of their contract. If every team spends to the cap, then every player would seem to give about 8.7% of their salary back to the owners in escrow (50% of HRR is the midpoint, the cap is ~8.7% greater than the midpoint). The pie gets as big as it can once every team spends to the midpoint.

haseoke is right. The PA pushing for big contracts doesn't directly increase the pie. Only increasing HRR, or the player's share of it, increases the pie. Maybe it helps indirectly by applying continual upward pressure on HRR. Even expansion doesn't necessarily mean there is "more cap" available - if vegas doesn't contribute at least 1/31 of HRR then the cap should go down. The only additional salary to the players collectively should be 50% of whatever vegas contributes to HRR. A big contract for McDavid more likely than not is just a redistribution of salaries - from other contracts needing to be lower in order for the oilers to stay under the cap, to increases in escrow's for the whole PA if collectively the league gets closer to the cap as a result.

That's why it's silly to see the PA want to apply the cap escalator at the beginning of each new season only to ***** about escrow at the end.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Would love to see an NHL GM do this.

they don't even need to go that high......

I looked into the Oilers cap......

They have other RFAs to sign besides these two over the next 2 summers. My estimate says they have about $15M+ whatever raise the cap has for 2018.

This year they have just Drai to fill out the roster. next year they have McDavid+ 8 RFAs.

Assume the RFAs get about $3M combined total in raises. in 2018 2 low UFAs toalaing around $3.3M hit the market--but those filled with ELCs/$1M vets

That is how I am getting $60M for 21 players which then leaves $15M for Drai+ McJesus.

If McJesus gets $13M they have just $2M+ cap raise for Drai without trading RNH.

If they trade RNH for cheap labor then they have the space.

Drai could get a cheaperer offer sheet that is below the 4 1sts.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
they don't even need to go that high......

I looked into the Oilers cap......

They have other RFAs to sign besides these two over the next 2 summers. My estimate says they have about $15M+ whatever raise the cap has for 2018.

This year they have just Drai to fill out the roster. next year they have McDavid+ 8 RFAs.

Assume the RFAs get about $3M combined total in raises. in 2018 2 low UFAs toalaing around $3.3M hit the market--but those filled with ELCs/$1M vets

That is how I am getting $60M for 21 players which then leaves $15M for Drai+ McJesus.

If McJesus gets $13M they have just $2M+ cap raise for Drai without trading RNH.

If they trade RNH for cheap labor then they have the space.

Drai could get a cheaperer offer sheet that is below the 4 1sts.

How it could look:

- Offer sheet match for Draisaitl and re-signing McDavid = $23M.
- 2018-19 team, besides those two, has 11 players signed for $41M.
- 13 players for 2018-19 at $64M, leaving $11M for 10 players.

That puts their roster at:

X - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - RNH - X
Pouliot - X - Kassian
Khaira - X - X

Sekera - Larson
Klefbom - Russel
Gryba - X

Talbot
X

They'd need to make decisions on these RFAs: Nurse, Strome, Slepyshev, Caggiula, Pakarinen, Benning. They'd have some ELCs coming up in Puljujarvi, Henson, Bear, etc.

Talbot would need to be re-signed the next season after that. And the first real cap relief they'd get is Poulliot coming off the books after 2020-21.

If Chiarelli is serious about matching offersheet for Draisaitl, he's going to need to move RNH, Pouliot, or one of his D to stay afloat... and possibly more than one player. No one is trading for Lucic at that salary point.

Matching an offersheet for Draisaitl could cripple his team in the short term. Lesson: get Eichel and Reinhart done now!

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I'm more interested in Reinhart's contract than Eichel's, personally. Given his relatively mild production compared to Drai, Eichel, and McDavid, I'm very curious how long they can lock Reinhart up and at what cost.

I feel like Sam's camp is better off asking for the more traditional bridge deal and then looking to fully cash in on his next contract, but if Buffalo were able to lock him up for say...4 to 6 years at 6ish million, it's very possible Sam has one of the most valuable and cap friendly deals in the entire league for the final few years of the contract, which should excite both sides of the Keep Sam/Trade Sam debate.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
They're in a bad situation if a team is stupid enough to offer 9.8 million for Draisaitl and he still intends on matching. That's twice what he's even remotely worth though, so I doubt anyone gets hurt but Edmonton having to pay him 6/yr when he is doing nothing except leeching off of McDavid.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Not worth it. I get the "F the Oilers" mentality, but you guys can't be serious.
Offer sheet another forward?? Lose 4 picks?? Omg, why.

One of the most valuable assets in a cap system is a player who can step in on their entry level deals. When this team is a contender and the core is in their prime, we need these picks over the next few years to step in for cheap.

Draisaitl is good yes, I agree. But not a need, not at that cost.

Exactly. Is he four first rounders better than Sam?

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Did I see something the other day that Zadarov may be going back to Russia? Ouch.

Think it was just a tweet as a negotiation tactic. Seems unlikely from a money perspective for him given the state of the KHL, but not sure if his KHL rights are owned by one of the teams with actual money.

Love Zads, hope he gets it together, but he still always looks like he needs a map in his own zone. Can't argue with the physical abilities though.

Greg O'Renko seems like he's gone from the Avs at least.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The reason McDavid is signing for 13.25 is because the NHLPA is pressuring them to get the max for McDavid and move the salary structure up for all players. There will be pressure on Eichel and Fish too.
Eichel is not the face of the league or at McDavid's level but he is viewed as one of the best young players in the game.

Personally I think the McDavid deal is idiotic and will handicap the Oilers for years to come especially with no guarantee the cap grows by that much over the next few years.

Eichel at 8x8 would be ideal and set the Sabres up to compete but that McDavid number will play a role in negotiations and bump up his number some.
There is a hard salary cap. How does 'moving the salary structure up' get the NHLPA members more money?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad