Around the NHL - All The NHL News That's Fit (or Not) To Print

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Method was never a fit for us...

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Beaulieu trade and think he's a better fit for what we're going to implement, but taking a guy like Methot or preferably a guy like Hjalmarsson and just force feeding them high quality competition and d-zone starts to help take the load of Risto would be a pretty wise move. As it stands now, we don't really have that high quality shut-down guy on our blueline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
For the zillionth time, Methot would make 2018s re signings of Reinhart and Eichel much more difficult and would prevent us from making any more signings at all that year, assuming Kane left for nothing but picks at most.

An aging defender who won't survive past that year is not the kind of player you put yourself in that situation over. And that's assuming his wheels don't fall off faster than Gorges. He was only paired with Karlsson..

I'm glad we didn't, even if it would have made 2017 slightly better

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I'm with Jame.

Methot is not the type of D that the Sabres are looking to add right now. Sure, the trade didn't cost the Stars much.

But, I don't see Methot being a fit with the direction that Botts and Phlamingo want to take the team.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

I'm with Jame.

Methot is not the type of D that the Sabres are looking to add right now. Sure, the trade didn't cost the Stars much.

But, I don't see Methot being a fit with the direction that Botts and Phlamingo want to take the team.

Id much rather we target Sbisa. Like him more and likely won't be any more expensive. Good 1 year stopgap with potential to re-sign if it all works out.

Or Schmidt in fact but I assume he would be slightly more expensive?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Sbisa is awful.

Yes please on Schmidt. Zip pointed him out months ago as a player the Sabres should've been looking to target given Washington's situation on D and the looming expansion draft. I knew next to nothing about his game then, but I quickly became a fan during the playoffs.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sbisa isn't the type of D that fits what they want to build, either.

Guhle is the type of D they want but he likely needs time. Sbisa gives you that time without being Gorges :) I wouldn't mind having a solid 3rd pairing D to pair with Antipin to allow him to be more offensive or to pair with Bogo to cover his mistakes. I think he will be dirt cheap to - 3rd-4th maybe which is nothing.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
For the zillionth time, Methot would make 2018s re signings of Reinhart and Eichel much more difficult and would prevent us from making any more signings at all that year, assuming Kane left for nothing but picks at most.

An aging defender who won't survive past that year is not the kind of player you put yourself in that situation over. And that's assuming his wheels don't fall off faster than Gorges. He was only paired with Karlsson..

I'm glad we didn't, even if it would have made 2017 slightly better

I'm not disagreeing that Methot probably wasn't the best fit.

But the idea that we don't have the cap space for him is silly. We can easily fit 14-15M for Reinhart/Eichel and still add between 7-9M in long term salary this year on top of signing all our RFAs.

Methot's 4.9M would fit easily, even if its a flat cap for next year.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

But the idea that we don't have the cap space for him is silly. We can easily fit 14-15M for Reinhart/Eichel and still add between 7-9M in long term salary this year on top of signing all our RFAs.

We can fit him in, but then we're done. Do you think Methot completes our roster in 2018? If the answer is no then Methot should be out of the question.

Given the bargain prices McPhee has been demanding, give him a 4th for Stoner, McNabb, or Schmidt and he will think he won the trade, though Schmidt would likely take a 3rd. Sbisa is awful and I'd rather have Gorges..

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
We can fit him in, but then we're done. Do you think Methot completes our roster in 2018? If the answer is no then Methot should be out of the question.

Given the bargain prices McPhee has been demanding, give him a 4th for Stoner, McNabb, or Schmidt and he will think he won the trade, though Schmidt would likely take a 3rd. Sbisa is awful and I'd rather have Gorges..

No interest in McNabb. Schmidt, on the other hand...

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
exhaustive list of positive things one could say about luca sbisa:

1) his name looks and sounds kind of cool

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sbisa is awful.

Yes please on Schmidt. Zip pointed him out months ago as a player the Sabres should've been looking to target given Washington's situation on D and the looming expansion draft. I knew next to nothing about his game then, but I quickly became a fan during the playoffs.

I tend to trust the opinion of fans that watch their teams regularly than even my own views if I don't have good impression of the player...like Sbisa. Thus I read up the opinions on Sbisa recently...and yes...he seems like another Gorges. I take my statement back. So Schmidt or bust from Vegas? Miller maybe too? We are not getting Theodore probably.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Right now with the QOs Buffalo is around $60M with a goalie slot open. This also includes Fedun, smith, and Malone who likely go to Rochester.

in 2018...

Des is unsigned--replaced with an ELC or $1M vet
Eichel an RFA--resigned
Reinhart an RFA--resigned
Kane a UFA
Falk a UFA
Gorges a UFA--replaced by Guhle

UFAs=$10.5M in salary.

They key here--keep Kane or not. If you keep him say it takes $6M per for 4 yrs.

If Eichel+ Reinhart=$14M to resign. Buffalo will not have much room to sign/acquire a $4M player unless they move Rnnis or Moulson..
After filling out their roster they might have about $2M-$3M in cap space.

This also gives Buffalo exposure risk to low offer sheets on their other RFAs (Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching) of around $2,5M which only costs a 2nd but buffalo would have trouble matching.

Similarly if they were to sign a vet Dman like shattenkirk this offseason they forces Buffalo to trade Kane or let him walk for nothing next year unless they could lose Ennis and/or Moulson.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I think a lot of people have forgotten that Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher isn't signing with Colorado as far as I can tell.

I have no clue what teams he is looking at, but he would be a hell of a fit. I was always impressed with him during the World Juniors but he had a hell of a year at Denver.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Just about every 1st rounder from 2012 has busted all potential or is the #1 expendable player on their given teams.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Just about every 1st rounder from 2012 has busted all potential or is the #1 expendable player on their given teams.

Dumba, Forsberg, Vasilevski, Hertl, Faksa, Lindholm, Rielly? Even Galch is not a failure, he's just not a center. Theres decent amount of competent NHLers. yes it is below the average for an NHL draft but what you posted "just about every" is not correct

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I think a lot of people have forgotten that Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher isn't signing with Colorado as far as I can tell.

I have no clue what teams he is looking at, but he would be a hell of a fit. I was always impressed with him during the World Juniors but he had a hell of a year at Denver.

One of the reasons he doesn't come up much is probably that he can't sign anywhere until mid-August.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
One of the reasons he doesn't come up much is probably that he can't sign anywhere until mid-August.

Is that because he finished all four years rather than leaving a year early? Just curious why that was the case for Vesey and is the case for Butcher, but we lose Petersen on 30 days notice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad