Around the NHL - All The NHL News That's Fit (or Not) To Print

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
8.75 is more than Stamkos gets on essentially UFA contract, let's keep it real eh? McJesus is in a bracket of his own and is not comparable to Jack.

Yeah. Which is why he'd be getting $3.5 more per season. And Stamkos was 26 and coming off Blood Clots.

And I think Jack > Stamkos

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
8.75 is more than Stamkos gets on essentially UFA contract, let's keep it real eh? McJesus is in a bracket of his own and is not comparable to Jack.

Agreed. At least right now. If Jack wants McFranchise money or anything close to it, he needs to go out there and crush it in a McFranchise season.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
I don't know like every lifelong Buffalonian I fear we dick around with him and he bounces. Expect the worst.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I love how people see a number way way less than the McDavid number and then say "well you can't compare him to McDavid". They aren't. They're slotting him way way less.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
$3.5 million per year less is a lot less.

0 awards is infinite number less than McJesus won at the awards this season and he single-handedly brought playoffs to Edmonton. What did Jack do except be a PPG player and making unhappy faces on the ice sometimes and by the sound of it off the ice too? He's not getting more than Stamkos IMO and he should be happy with it. if nearly 9 mil per season is not good enough for him, I have to seriously doubt his attitude at this point. I'd only change my opinion if he only re-signs next summer and in the meantime absolutely tears the league apart and is a major reason why we make and are not absolutely slammed about in the playoffs.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I can see it both ways...and honestly, I'd prefer it if we bridge Eichel the way Montreal bridged Subban...we need Jack with a fire firmly entrenched up his ass rather than the coasting he does sometimes if we're going to get anywhere the next two years.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I don't even think Jack will sign this summer. He will want to put up a monster year and get that $10M+AAV.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
0 awards is infinite number less than McJesus won at the awards this season and he single-handedly brought playoffs to Edmonton. What did Jack do except be a PPG player and making unhappy faces on the ice sometimes and by the sound of it off the ice too? He's not getting more than Stamkos IMO and he should be happy with it. if nearly 9 mil per season is not good enough for him, I have to seriously doubt his attitude at this point. I'd only change my opinion if he only re-signs next summer and in the meantime absolutely tears the league apart and is a major reason why we make and are not absolutely slammed about in the playoffs.

I don't think we can use previous contracts. McDavid is setting the new market. Eichel will be next. Then Draisaitl.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't even think Jack will sign this summer. He will want to put up a monster year and get that $10M+AAV.

That's exactly what I think as well. He'll see what McDavid gets, want similar, weigh the offer and see that they're miles apart in AAV, and go out there looking to destroy the whole league to get that money.

As he should.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
These guys are idiots. There's a cap. You're collectively getting your full value. Shifting more of the pie towards one player doesn't grow the pie.

It's more or less setting the expectation of bigger deals in the future. Yes, the cap technically creates a pie scenario only if all teams were up against the cap. The NHLPA technically speaking, Wants teams to to be near the cap... it makes the pie bigger.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Pushes out veteran players.

Doesn't grow the pie or the number of players it's split between. Maybe you want richer second deals at the expense of no fourth deals at all, I don't know if that's what gms would do. But it's a zero sum game, and either way you split it, Connor getting richer just leaves less money for everyone else.

This is the kind of sub-high school thinking that animated their side in the last lockout. You just shake your head.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's more or less setting the expectation of bigger deals in the future. Yes, the cap technically creates a pie scenario only if all teams were up against the cap. The NHLPA technically speaking, Wants teams to to be near the cap... it makes the pie bigger.

Getting teams closer to the cap, okay -- but look at how close they are now. Maybe there's a couple small market clubs you could target, but the rest of the league has hardly enough breathing room without using shady circumvention to make call ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad