Around the NHL 2021-22

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
We all know you hate Poile. :deadhorse

The Preds also don't have LTIR contracts to throw around.

Every move that has been made this off season you ask, "why didn't poile do that?" and there's usually an easy and obvious answer.

Every move is a bit of an exaggeration and no, I've actually said Poile has done pretty well shedding pieces we don't need.

What I don't get (and won't understand) is why Poile won't leverage his cap space for picks and prospects to let the kids play while building up the prospect pool. I liked the Arvy trade. I liked the Ellis trade.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I dunno if the owners even want to be taking on big contracts right now - I don't think our ownership group can match the deep pockets the owners some other teams have.

Also Landy re-signed in Colorado for $7 million x 8 years.

Reactions: PredsV82

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Every move is a bit of an exaggeration and no, I've actually said Poile has done pretty well shedding pieces we don't need.

What I don't get (and won't understand) is why Poile won't leverage his cap space for picks and prospects to let the kids play while building up the prospect pool. I liked the Arvy trade. I liked the Ellis trade.
Hard to make a judgment on it until we see what the final roster looks like. If we don't sign anyone and have $15M+ in cap space at the start of the season, it's a pretty fair question.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I also think Suter would be reasonable winger. Even if they are bringing Toews back and eyeing more size at center with Dach and Borgstrom behind him, I wouldn't have been so scared of Suter going to arbitration that I'd just let him walk. He seems to go to the net well and engage despite his smaller stature, but with his scoring knack he should be an effective winger even if they don't envision using him at center anymore.
Did they change the rules and I just missed it? It used to be that in a player-elected arbitration the team had the option to choose a one-year deal, and could then walk away if they didn’t like the outcome. If he’s worth more than the QO, and gets more in arbitration than you want to pay, just walk away and it’s the same as not qualifying.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

With Poiles record drafting prospects unless he can move into the top 3 picks whats the use. He just traded two 2nd round picks to move up to take a player that is a real risk and one that would have probably have been there if he had not traded up. Poile does not usually do knee jerk moves and he does take on too many reclamation projects. The one that hooked him was Karyia where he too a chance and it worked. But then there are the Koystinins, Riberio, Radulov, Mason, Hartnell, Hamhuis and many other flubs.
The Arvy Ellis trade are less than enthuastic. Two meaningless picks and two players that have failed in other organizations. Yet we believe somehow some way a switch is flipped and they become 70 point guys. Anything less is not what this team needs.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
With Poiles record drafting prospects unless he can move into the top 3 picks whats the use. He just traded two 2nd round picks to move up to take a player that is a real risk and one that would have probably have been there if he had not traded up.

You realize this is a false statement right? Quite a few mocks had him in the top 25 and the absolute lowest I saw him rated was 40 which was our pick but would have actually been unlikely to be there.

Also, Kariya was never a "reclamation project"

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Question, would you have done that trade with Fabbro? Fabbro for Foegele?
I dunno, Ethan Bear was a 5th round pick, but either way it sure seems like Carolina wants Their Way Or The Highway in trying to get young guys under contract. They seemed to be pretty keen to get rid of Foegele. I wouldn't have minded finding a way to add him. Not for Fabbro of course. But maybe a draft pick or something.
Good deal for Dallas.
Yeah, Suter is a good D still, much as we may not like it. They have a really strong top-4 in Dallas now. If Suter doesn't pack it in early even the 4th year on this shouldn't be too much of a burden to them. :(

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ok, now it is 12pm Eastern... teams can go ahead and start talking to players now, and maybe we'll hear of a few contract signings emerging from those talks sometime later this afternoon.
:sarcasm:

Reactions: PredsV82

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Between this and the Nedeljkovic trade apparently goalies have no trade value.

I posted this thought in a previous thread, but again- this is why I would never get too worked up over a team goaltender situation. You can almost ALWAYS get a goaltender- it is kind of crazy how easy (and often cheap) it is to get a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad