Around the NHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
But to go to arbitration they have to make the QO first. And does the team still have the right to request arbitration or did that go away in the new deal?
Just read on a couple sites where it sounds like they can actually do the club-election without the QO, and that's where the 85% comes in. Without cracking open the CBA doc, though.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Deal no take backs.

Laine's Qualifying offer is 7.5M after 12G 12A 24P in 46 Games is rough but paying Duchene 8M for 5 more seasons after 6G 7A 13P in 34 Games is worse. Duchene and Laine are both questionable defensively so that's a wash. Definitely a win for Nashville. Worse comes to worse, Laine is gone after 1-2 years.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Would you prefer Duchene for Laine or Ellis for Laine? I feel like we have plenty of D depth and would be interesting to see how well both Joey and Duchene work out with an additional sniper type available across the 2 lines. All 3 (FF, Tolvanen, and Laine) are all very different as well.

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would you prefer Duchene for Laine or Ellis for Laine? I feel like we have plenty of D depth and would be interesting to see how well both Joey and Duchene work out with an additional sniper type available across the 2 lines. All 3 (FF, Tolvanen, and Laine) are all very different as well.
I mean, obviously Duchene for Laine. At least the HFThink is that Duchene is horrible and massively negative value. I don't think there is quite that perception yet of Ellis. We think we can get some very good solid positive value from trading Ellis, don't we? So if we had the choice, we'd trade Duchene for Laine, laugh at our outrageous good fortune, and then proceed to trade Ellis anyway in a separate deal.
:dunno:

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I mean, obviously Duchene for Laine. At least the HFThink is that Duchene is horrible and massively negative value. I don't think there is quite that perception yet of Ellis. We think we can get some very good solid positive value from trading Ellis, don't we? So if we had the choice, we'd trade Duchene for Laine, laugh at our outrageous good fortune, and then proceed to trade Ellis anyway in a separate deal.
:dunno:

I mean if Ellis is as bad per $ as some think then I’m not sure why anyone would think he’s more valuable. Other than him being our own home grown asset.

I suppose we should also consider relative replacement value of both as part of the trade. I really don’t think Duchene is as bad as his stats this season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean if Ellis is as bad per $ as some think then I’m not sure why anyone would think he’s more valuable. Other than him being our own home grown asset.

I suppose we should also consider relative replacement value of both as part of the trade. I really don’t think Duchene is as bad as his stats this season.
I don't think Duchene is as bad as his stats this season, but I also don't think he's better than his stats last season. And that's still not good value for 5x$8M. So either way his value gets knocked down. His replacement would pretty directly be Laine in this scenario. Or in a vacuum, Tomasino?

Ellis I think is secretly worse than his stats, but at least in theory carries some kind of "intangibles" leadership value? Carrier is directly his replacement for us.

Either way we're pretty well covered for replacements for either of these guys. But I suspect it's going to be tough to move their contracts in the current flat cap world. I would expose them both to Seattle as of today, anyway. But who know, maybe if we can get 20 playoff games out of them we can re-think some of those things. :)

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think Ellis has more value around the league than he has for the Preds. He very replaceable with current prospects, still hasn't adjusted to the new system, and can't play the heavier style that is being played by the team. His lack of physicality is a glaring problem on the Preds that may not be such an issue on another team.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think Ellis has more value around the league than he has for the Preds. He very replaceable with current prospects, still hasn't adjusted to the new system, and can't play the heavier style that is being played by the team. His lack of physicality is a glaring problem on the Preds that may not be such an issue on another team.

Ellis is definitely more suited for a Lavy type team. Poile really likes Ellis but I hope he can put feelings aside and do the smart thing.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Didn’t realize Freddy Guadreau was playing for the Pens now but he just scored for them and apparently had 10 points in 19 regular season games.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
We could easily have kept Gaudreau and Blackwell, but then we don't have Jeannot and Olivier setting the tone for the turnaround with the Herd.

Those aren't guys that I wish we still had like a Seth Jones, rather they're guys that I'm happy to see getting an opportunity and succeeding elsewhere.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Think I'm rooting for the Cats here. Kucherov and Stamkos magically ready to go game 1 doesn't sit well with me, not that I like the Bolts all that much to begin with.

Whether or not Tampa Bay was doing shady stuff it is absurd that all of the sudden the salary cap doesn’t matter in the playoffs.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Poile needs to put Duchene and Joey on LTIR next year and go out and spend an extra 16 million in cap space.
I think it can't exceed something like 10-15% of the cap, but I do think more teams will try to exploit it going forward. The Hawks did it with Kane several seasons ago, but he was injured later in the year, I think, and I'm not sure the amount they bled over the cap eventually was as egregious. I also don't remember that Kane was back game 1, but he may have.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
4 playoff games so far- 3 went to OT and the one that didn't was the best game so far (TB/Florida)

Not only that- there has yet to be a 2 goal deficit in any of the 4 games.

Pretty great stuff........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad