Around the NHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Any team that ends up with an extra break BETWEEN rounds as a result of this staggered start is also going to have a huge advantage.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While some of it is his own doing I certainly understand it. Get sent from a playoff team to one that is in the midst of crumbling. Top it off with a butthead for a coach and knowing in some way it could all get worse. I'd probably feel the same way.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
While some of it is his own doing I certainly understand it. Get sent from a playoff team to one that is in the midst of crumbling. Top it off with a butthead for a coach and knowing in some way it could all get worse. I'd probably feel the same way.
I actually feel bad for him. getting drafted by winnipeg sucked right off the rip.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Won't disagree with that. I'm sure the people are great but I would have no desire to live anywhere with those kinds of winters.

Hes from.. *checks notes* Finland, right? I'm guessing the winters werent the problem.

Sorry, but to me he seems like a pampered wunderkind who fell apart mentally when he didnt just magically dominate like he had all his younger years. He needs to figure out what it means to be a professional or hes gonna wash out of the league eventually.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Hes from.. *checks notes* Finland, right? I'm guessing the winters werent the problem.

Sorry, but to me he seems like a pampered wunderkind who fell apart mentally when he didnt just magically dominate like he had all his younger years. He needs to figure out what it means to be a professional or hes gonna wash out of the league eventually.
I'll be honest I don't what the issue is. Is he pampered or is the coach an idiot? I mean it's not like players have exactly been knocking down the door to head to Winnipeg and that fan base has been wanting the coach fired for years.

He probably did need to grow up but so did Radulov and none of us were looking to jettison him until he bailed.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Is that something the team can take to arbitration? Because that number is ridiculous for his recent out put.

I cant remember if the new CBA eliminated team elected arbitration or not but before arbitration can occur they would still have to make the QO or lose his rights. Cant imagine they would let him go for nothing after trading PLD for him

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Is that something the team can take to arbitration? Because that number is ridiculous for his recent out put.
Well, Laine is eligible for salary arbitration, including club-elected, but it probably wouldn't gain them too much. You can only bring a salary down to 85% of the previous one iirc, and in order to get to that point Laine would have had to already turn down his QO at 100%. So I don't see how Laine turns down that $7.5M QO to get to that point?

I suppose Columbus won't be too tight on the Cap next season, so just giving Laine the 1-yr QO at $7.5M and him accepting it should work out ok for both. If they don't trade him before that anyway. A fresh start with a new coach, 1-year Show Me at an extravagant salary for what he did this year, but hopefully for them they can get him back on track. Then if not, walk away next year.
:dunno:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
RFA this summer. Will have to get a 7.5 mil QO to retain his rights.

The CBA specifies qualifying offers. In his case, his QO must be 100% of is salary per page 31 of the CBA ... para 10.2(a)(ii)(C)
"if the Player's prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000 for that League year, 100% of the prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary."

To get the right of first refusal, Columbus must make a QO at his last salary which was $7.5mil. Their other options are to trade his rights or let him walk. If this goes to arbitration, it gets ugly for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The CBA specifies qualifying offers. In his case, his QO must be 100% of is salary per page 31 of the CBA ... para 10.2(a)(ii)(C)
"if the Player's prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000 for that League year, 100% of the prior year's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary."

To get the right of first refusal, Columbus must make a QO at his last salary which was $6.75mil. Their other options are to trade his rights or let him walk. If this goes to arbitration, it gets ugly for everyone.

$6.75 is his AAV and his salary this season is actually $7.5 mil so even worse. This is where negotiating those ramped salaries on bridge contracts can really hurt you.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
$6.75 is his AAV and his salary this season is actually $7.5 mil so even worse. This is where negotiating those ramped salaries on bridge contracts can really hurt you.

I saw and fixed it. If I'm the GM in Columbus I'm trying to trade his rights right up until QO deadline. Let somebody else deal with it. He clearly isn't happy with the situation and replacing Torts is unlikely to fix it. The problem is if they can't find a trade partner and have to decide between QO and letting him walk. A QO at least means a team has to offer sheet him.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
There was a time when Laine may have been at the top of the list in the entire NHL of players I wanted on the Preds- sniper/pure goal scorer. Exactly what we have needed multiple years.

That seems like a very long time ago........

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It would be Duchene for the rights to Laine. That is high risk.

I view getting out of Duchene's contract worth it on it's own. Qualify Laine for a season with the cap space savings from trading Duchene and see what happens. Columbus is looking for a 1C and Duchene was very successful in his short stint there. I doubt it happens but it does make at least a little sense.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

To get the right of first refusal, Columbus must make a QO at his last salary which was $7.5mil. Their other options are to trade his rights or let him walk. If this goes to arbitration, it gets ugly for everyone.

But to go to arbitration they have to make the QO first. And does the team still have the right to request arbitration or did that go away in the new deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad