Around the NHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
On top of that, let's say he get's healthy... if Montreal can use that cap relief and go out and get some players, he may have a chance at a Cup in two years.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Well yeah, he said that Bettman told him it would be treated like a trade since the contract was signed by Philly and that the Preds don't have to worry about it. But after all this time and one radio interview with Poile being the only source on that, it's definitely concerning. There's been so much speculation across NHL media over the years, why hasn't Bettman ever just spoken up and easily shut down all that? Why hasn't Poile ever mentioned it again when he's been questioned about this situation? Why change the rule at all if there was nothing to worry about?

I'm going to operate under the assumption of the worst case scenario in which Weber retires in the final season with Montreal and the Preds take the full $7.857 penalty for three seasons. Any relief from that is just a bonus, but until it's put out there definitively, you assume the worst.
That's not going to happen. It would look bad on league business.
Mtl not going to screw over nsh, and neither is weber.
The league also doesnt want this to be an issue.
All parties want this to happen:
1- Weber to go on ltir.
2- Mtl gets cap relief and move on.
3- Weber gets his full pay.
4- Weber starts working in fromt office whole on ltir the entire time.
5- Nashville happy, Mtl Happy, NHL happy

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
That's not going to happen. It would look bad on league business.
Mtl not going to screw over nsh, and neither is weber.
The league also doesnt want this to be an issue.
All parties want this to happen:
1- Weber to go on ltir.
2- Mtl gets cap relief and move on.
3- Weber gets his full pay.
4- Weber starts working in fromt office whole on ltir the entire time.
5- Nashville happy, Mtl Happy, NHL happy

Montreal fans MAD because no 3 1st rounders for Weber lol

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Montreal fans MAD because no 3 1st rounders for Weber lol
As a Habs fan, i smh at the "ideas" some of the fans come up with. Lol
They dont realize there is such a thing as "good business" practice. And while im no fan of mtl FO, they would never hold nsh hostage.
Might get a 7th rounder if it ever came to that.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
As a Habs fan, i smh at the "ideas" some of the fans come up with. Lol
They dont realize there is such a thing as "good business" practice. And while im no fan of mtl FO, they would never hold nsh hostage.
Might get a 7th rounder if it ever came to that.
Right I could see Poile doing that if it was advantageous for us for some reason but these ideas that Montreal has us by the throat are silly. The only reason we trade for him is if they think he could be back and we want to take that risk to lower the recapture hit should he retire. That said with the info that is trickling out I think he is done.

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Right I could see Poile doing that if it was advantageous for us for some reason but these ideas that Montreal has us by the throat are silly. The only reason we trade for him is if they think he could be back and we want to take that risk to lower the recapture hit should he retire. That said with the info that is trickling out I think he is done.
Exactly. Weber is also not going to screw over NSH.. i think he'll just ride out LTIR for remainder of contract. All parties involved will agree.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Exactly. Weber is also not going to screw over NSH.. i think he'll just ride out LTIR for remainder of contract. All parties involved will agree.

That's what would make business sense for the NHL.

I also think Poile does trade Weber in the first place if he doesn't already have some sort of agreement or plan with the NHL for the recapture penalty. Just a guess though.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

From my calculations: There isn't huge saving for us to trade for Weber now unless he decided to retire after sitting on LTIR through his first 1M cash year. If he's going to sit on LTIR for that 1st 1M cash year, he's going to finish it out for his last 2M.

If he retires before his first 1M year, we have to account for an additional 2M in cap for 3 years (7.857M x3 vs ~5.9M x3). That's not enough incentive to trade anything of significance.

Montreal won't but him out b/c then they have to actually account for his caphit and the best buyout is still ~7.1M for 1 year and 333K for another year (bought out last season). It get significantly worse from there.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
From my calculations: There isn't huge saving for us to trade for Weber now unless he decided to retire after sitting on LTIR through his first 1M cash year. If he's going to sit on LTIR for that 1st 1M cash year, he's going to finish it out for his last 2M.

If he retires before his first 1M year, we have to account for an additional 2M in cap for 3 years (7.857M x3 vs ~5.9M x3). That's not enough incentive to trade anything of significance.

Montreal won't but him out b/c then they have to actually account for his caphit and the best buyout is still ~7.1M for 1 year and 333K for another year (bought out last season). It get significantly worse from there.
Only reason to trade for him is if he actually plays. Because of the structure each year of that 1 million knocks a big chunk off recapture. Outside of that there is no real need to.

I think he probably is just going to finish it out on LTIR in Montreal. If he qualifies for that there is zero reason to retire and I'm sure his agent and the NHL will tell him that.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Honestly the more I think about it, moving Duchene/Joey out and picking up Landeskog would be such a big win for us, especially with Arvidsson gone. Landeskog and Kunin on the same line would be punishing.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Honestly the more I think about it, moving Duchene/Joey out and picking up Landeskog would be such a big win for us, especially with Arvidsson gone. Landeskog and Kunin on the same line would be punishing.

If we re-sign Granlund too a Landeskog-Granlund-Kunin line would be pretty sweet as a shutdown type line. Highly doubt its something that would happen though.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I like Landeskog as a player (hate playing against him), but I don't think he's a good target for this Preds team and the current situation. He's just about to exit his prime years and wouldn't be playing with MacKinnon. Probably a 65 point player here for a few years, which of course would be right there for the team lead, but more of the "very good but not great" and not taking us over the hump, then mostly done by the time the Askarov era starts.

Keep drafting well, and look for good deals like that Bonino for Kunin trade.

Reactions: hockey diva

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

No idea this guys track records with these sorts of things but if that's true that's a pretty easy no. Really I'm not sure I'd give more than what Colorado is supposedly offering him.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I doubt he finds anything close to 9-10. At 8 years though he's got to get 7x7 just to come out ahead. I'm not sure in a post covid world he gets much more than that.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Some of the rumors say he’s interested in joining the Lightning. Would love to see how that works out capsize. The thing with Landeskog is he is a good player but I don’t see him as a point per game guy unless he has elite line mates like he has recently in Colorado. However, he’s obviously going to want to be paid like a point per game guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad