Around the NHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That is why I said it may take a year or two for the NHL to do something.

Let's hope that there isn't another Steve Moore type incident while we are waiting.

For all of those people on the main boards who posted that all NHL teams want a Tom Wilson. Up yours!

Why go back to the Bad Old Days of 1975? The NHL is their own worst enemy. Bettman has been against excessive violence in hockey. Now is not the time to turn away from that policy. I still think that Gary Bettman will hang on for many more years, even though he is 68 years old.

Athletic report suggests Tom Wilson was suspended for Brandon Carlo hit because Gary Bettman ‘didn’t like the optics’

Opinion | It’s been a painful year for Gary Bettman and the NHL. Is it time for a leadership change?
To be fair, I would love a Tom Wilson that isn't a massive sociopathic asshole on the ice. Sadly, that Tom Wilson does not appear to exist.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The only reason you need a Tom Wilson is because of people who play like Tom Wilson.

(excluding the fact he actually contributes to offense)

Reactions: bdub24 and adsfan

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yeah no real reason for those players to exist other than to counter each other.

Hardly, Tootoo was an asset for several years by drawing a lot more penalties than he took. He only became a liability when he started thinking he was a scorer and stopped being a pest. What you said could be considered true about the goon enforcers of the '94-05 era, but the energy pests of the current era are useful in their roles.

Wilson is different because he continues to headshot and cheap shot guys into injury. Tootoo definitely crossed the line a few times in his career, but with Wilson it's multiple times each season. our current Herd line does it right. They set the tone with pace and physical play, pressure the net, draw penalties but don't play particularly close to the edge, let alone crossing that line.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
22, 21, 13 ... Wilson's goal totals in the last three seasons. For all of his disciplinary issues, the kid can actually play.

Yeah I specifically mentioned in the first post you commented that I was referencing Wilson’s insane side. Perhaps it wasn’t clear.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Saw the score of the Bolts/Cats game and thought McSieve had started again. Nope. It was Vasilevskiy. :DD

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Stars down 1-3 in the first against the Hawks. Are they going to make a game of it and at least try to get the points tied up or are they going to just pack it in?

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Looking at a monthly winning percentage and ignoring loser points, we have

1. CBJ Apr 14%
2. DAL Feb 20%
2. DET Jan 20%
4. DAL May 25%
4. CHI May 25%
6. DAL Mar 29%

All the rest are 30% or better for the Central. So Dallas owns 3 of the 6 worst months in terms of pure winning percentage. If it wasn't for loser points, they'd have been eliminated a while ago and challenging Detroit and Columbus for draft position.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

1. CBJ Apr 14%
2. DAL Feb 20%
2. DET Jan 20%
4. DAL May 25%
4. CHI May 25%
6. DAL Mar 29%

All the rest are 30% or better for the Central. So Dallas owns 3 of the 7 worst months in terms of pure winning percentage. If it wasn't for loser points, they'd have been eliminated a while ago and challenging Detroit and Columbus for draft position.
That's why I laughed yesterday when I saw someone from Dallas say we weren't good because we had so many points from overtime wins.

It's like yall literally picked up like 14 points from losing in overtime, at least we could win most of ours :laugh:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
That's why I laughed yesterday when I saw someone from Dallas say we weren't good because we had so many points from overtime wins.

It's like yall literally picked up like 14 points from losing in overtime, at least we could win most of ours :laugh:
For a 5 month season, owning 3 of the worst winning percentage months in the entire division is not something to write home about.

Counting from the other direction, they own the 35th, 36th, and 38th best winning months out of the 40 total.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
And the calendar splits for the Preds aren't bad. Iirc February is the only month that was less than .500 and only by one game, maybe 6-7?.?.?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Right. Feb was the "Month of Panic button pushing". We were 46%.
And as bad as March started it ended with a 6 game win so the month overall was fine. April and May on the other hand made this season what they are. Good stuff and glad Poile didn't sell a month ago or we'd be talking about the draft lottery....

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

1. CBJ Apr 14%
2. DAL Feb 20%
2. DET Jan 20%
4. DAL May 25%
4. CHI May 25%
6. DAL Mar 29%

All the rest are 30% or better for the Central. So Dallas owns 3 of the 6 worst months in terms of pure winning percentage. If it wasn't for loser points, they'd have been eliminated a while ago and challenging Detroit and Columbus for draft position.

Yep- not only that we have EIGHT more wins than Dallas (30-22). Eight more wins and yet until yesterday they still cold have finished ahead of us.

And, they have now played 55 games and won only 22 of them- and almost made the playoffs

Ridiculous

Reactions: Scoresberg

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Sooo Torts is available...ba ha ha ha ha! Couldnt finish it even as a joke. Hope that asshole doesnt find another gig, but you know the little fella will

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I didn’t realize how old Dallas was up front.
Yeah that's a team that could drop off in a hurry. Doesn't help that many of their best Vets have lots of med issues too.

It's one reason I'd like to see us move Ellis out if we can. Couple of older guys with the young guys. Need to make sure we do the same with the forwards.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The young guys have definitely made Ellis expendable. It’s too bad we didn’t know this a year or two ago. It’s obvious in retrospect but one issue with having a great top 4 for so long is you never really get to see what’s behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad