Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Man, I took a look at CBJ’s first-round picks today.

From 2000-2016:
  • Klesla (#4 OA) - solid stay-at-home defenseman who played almost 700 NHL games
  • Leclaire (#8) - 173 career games
  • Nash (#1) - star (though never topped 79 points), ultimately traded for for Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Tim Erixon
  • Zherdev (#4) - four years with CBJ (two of them decent) before being traded to NYR for Tyutin and Christian Backman
  • Picard (#8) - 67 games over five seasons, 0 goals + 2 assists
  • Brule (#6) - three years with CBJ, total bust, traded to EDM for Raffi Torres
  • Brassard (#6) - decent journeyman 2C, traded to NYR for Gaborik
  • Voracek (#7) - traded along with a 1st and 3rd for Jeff Carter, who later turned into Jack Johnson and Marko Dano
  • Filatov (#6) - total bust, traded to Ottawa for a 3rd rounder
  • John Moore (#21) - three seasons with CBJ, traded with others to NYR for Gaborik
  • Johansen (#4) - traded for Seth Jones
  • Ryan Murray (#2) - decent, injury-prone defenseman, traded to NJD for a 5th round pick
  • Wennberg (#14) - bought out after 6 seasons
  • Rychel (#19) - out of the NHL
  • Dano (#27) - scrub - bounced around the league a bit and is now back with CBJ
  • Milano (#16) - scrub - 116 games with CBJ over five years, now in Anaheim
  • Werenski (#8) - star
  • Carlsson (#29) - 24 years old, 23 NHL games over four years
  • Dubois (#3) - good top-six power forward
So over 16 years, they netted Klesla, Nash (Dubinsky), Seth Jones, Werenski, and Dubois with 19 first-round picks (13 of those in the top 10, six in the top five).

Insane!

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Terrible Trade for the Sens lol

Excellent for us though, depletes their draft pick & improves their win% thus reducing their draft %. On paper I think our teams are very close, I'd say we actually have the slight advantage on F & D, but they have slightly better G, only because Murray is a proven starter & multiple cup winner.

I do feel good about the Greiss/Bernier combo. I'd rinse & repeat this method until we draft/sign cheaper UFA starter.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
My eyes can't believe a team just paid a 2nd rounder for a massive cap dump. 6.5 million for 28 pt player whose intangibles definitely don't make up the pt production being so low. TERRIAWFUL TRADE!
It's b/c his salary is $2M. His bonus was $3M, which I believe was paid by AZ. Even with Stepan, they're wofully thin up front (worse than we are).

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
You still don't give up a 2nd for that.
Agreed, but since it's not us, but a hated divisional rival (in virtually the identical same boat/stage of rebuild), I'm glad they did for the aforementioned reasons: draft pick capital, less cap to take TDL dump(s), increase win%/decrease lottery odds...all 4 in our favor.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Man, I took a look at CBJ’s first-round picks today.

From 2000-2016:
  • Klesla (#4 OA) - solid stay-at-home defenseman who played almost 700 NHL games
  • Leclaire (#8) - 173 career games
  • Nash (#1) - star
  • Zherdev (#4) - four years with CBJ (two of them decent) before being traded to NYR
  • Brule (#6) - three years with CBJ, total bust
  • Brassard (#6) - decent journeyman 2C
  • Voracek (#7) - traded along with a 1st and 3rd for Jeff Carter, who later turned into Jack Johnson and Marko Dano
  • Filatov (#6) - total bust, traded to Ottawa for a 3rd rounder
  • John Moore (#21) - three seasons with CBJ, traded with others to NYR for Gaborik
  • Johansen (#4) - traded for Seth Jones
  • Ryan Murrray (#2) - decent, injury-prone defenseman
  • Wennberg (#14) - bought out after 6 seasons
  • Rychel (#19) - out of the NHL
  • Dano (#27) - scrub - bounced around the league a bit and is now back with CBJ
  • Milano (#16) - scrub - 116 games with CBJ over five years, now in Anaheim
  • Werenski (#8) - star
  • Carlsson (#29) - 24 years old, 23 NHL games over four years
  • Dubois (#3) - good top-six power forward
Insane!

I remember watching Kirby Rychecl against the Whalers and thinking, "This guy is not an NHLer." Not sure if it was before or after the draft, but it was clear.

Some of these picks were straight dogs.
But they had their share of bad luck, too.
Wennberg was a pretty good player who ran into injury issues. I remember watching Brule in a preseason game against the Wings and he was the best player on the ice. Back then I thought the BJs were a team on the rise.

Looks like they've made some good picks lately.
Maybe they just needed to dump Tyler Wright.
Since 14 (first Post-Wright draft)
Milano: Meh. Obviously not a good pick pick, but i could see why they liked him.
Werenski: Nobody's complaining
Dubois: Seemed like a reac, but PL has been a good pick.
Foudy: Only played 2 regular season games but has potential.
Chinakhov: Another off-the-board pick. An overager too. His D+2 stats in the KHL are solid. Similar to Panarin's and Kirill Marchenko's.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Bolts trade D Braydon Coburn, F Cedric Paquette, 2nd round pick to Ottawa

Bolts acquire forward Marian Gaborik and goaltender Anders Nilsson from the Sens; both players will be placed on long-term injured reserve

_______________________________________________________________ Bolts with $16,975,000 on LTIR.

What could they do with Gaborik & Nilsson's LTIR? (Kuch maxes out their $8.15M LTIR)... trade to a cap basement team? Or does Vinik pay the extra $9M.

Sense recoup their 2nd from earlier trade yesterday;

while increasing win%/decreasing lottery odds...works in our favor.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Bolts acquire forward Marian Gaborik and goaltender Anders Nilsson from the Sens; both players will be placed on long-term injured reserve

What could they do with Gaborik & Nilsson's LTIR? (Kuch maxes out their $8.15M LTIR)... trade to a cap basement team?

Sense recoup their 2nd from earlier trade yesterday;

while increasing win%/decreasing lottery odds...works in our favor.

Yeah, I thought during our Zetterberg, Franzen, Kronwall talks that "LTIR isn't a bottomless pit we can bury dead contracts in. It's like a toilet that will back up if you do that".

How on Earth does Tampa have room to have Kucherov on there (for legitimate injury reasons) and Gaborik on there (for LTIRetirement) AND Nilsson for who the f*** knows? You can't have 16M in contracts on LTIR, can you?

Also, I'm surprised Ottawa helped Tampa out for so little benefit. Paquette is a nice bottom six C, but nice bottom six Cs are a dime a dozen and he's overpriced at 1.6M. Coburn is a corpse. With as widely known as Tampa's cap issues are... it seems like really bad negotiation to let them off without it really hurting a ton.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
https://nypost.com/2020/12/27/penguins-valued-at-650m-received-4-82m-covid-loan/

"There are 123 teams among the Big Four North American Men’s Sports Leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL).
Only one of them received a loan under the Paycheck Protection Program.
That team is the Pittsburgh Penguins, who received a loan of $4.82 million through the program authorized by the CARES Act."

My understanding is that the LA Lakers gave their Covid loan back, leaving the Pens the only team to have one...

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yeah, I thought during our Zetterberg, Franzen, Kronwall talks that "LTIR isn't a bottomless pit we can bury dead contracts in. It's like a toilet that will back up if you do that".

How on Earth does Tampa have room to have Kucherov on there (for legitimate injury reasons) and Gaborik on there (for LTIRetirement) AND Nilsson for who the f*** knows? You can't have 16M in contracts on LTIR, can you?

Also, I'm surprised Ottawa helped Tampa out for so little benefit. Paquette is a nice bottom six C, but nice bottom six Cs are a dime a dozen and he's overpriced at 1.6M. Coburn is a corpse. With as widely known as Tampa's cap issues are... it seems like really bad negotiation to let them off without it really hurting a ton.
combined salary @ 1yr. is only $3.3M, so a 2nd isn't bad at all considering Sens dumped $7.5M LTIR. I think the way it works is that if a team goes over the 10%, than the team has to pay it, not the insurance co., otherwise it'd be putting a limit on teams injuries in a contact sport, which wouldn't work.

Pacquette will be useful enough & Coburn is their Staal.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-12-28_11-8-21.png

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Rumor has it that Hoffman has a handshake agreement for a deal but can't officially sign it until certain players have their contracts manipulated. A PTO allows him to be with the team while they wait.
I figured it was something like that, as there's been reports & speculation for 3 weeks on Hoff. Jan 13th can't come soon enough. (in the back of my mind, I'll believe we'll start the NHL season when I actually see it).

Reactions: Winger98

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
from FB/Complete Hockey News

Pens co-owner Ron Burkle buys Michael Jackson's 'Neverland Ranch' for $22M... Bad mojo. Too many (Pedo) allegations, very questionable family history & a strange drugged up "popstar". Pens are doomed.

Too often the rich, famous & powerful escape justice (Govt.'s, celebrities, special interest groups & activisits, business tycoons, large corporations) worldwide, since the dawn of time. Corruption is everywhere & we the common men & women are all subject to it directly and/or indirectly.

Should've been converted into a Children's Hospital or Orphanage for Homeless Kids.

upload_2020-12-28_14-47-0.png

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Excellent for us though, depletes their draft pick & improves their win% thus reducing their draft %. On paper I think our teams are very close, I'd say we actually have the slight advantage on F & D, but they have slightly better G, only because Murray is a proven starter & multiple cup winner.

I do feel good about the Greiss/Bernier combo. I'd rinse & repeat this method until we draft/sign cheaper UFA starter.

I really don't see them improving their points % this year. Not in the Candian Division. They are the red headed stepchild of that division. By alot.

Speaking Candian Division.....

Are they gonna be apart of the Eastern Conference come playoff time? Has the NHL figured this out and I just glossed over it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad