Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I've ignored the OT thread and don't know how to get it back, so am sorry if this would be better posted there, but NBA just suspended their season due to a player being infected with the virus. Imagine the NHL won't be too far behind.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I've ignored the OT thread and don't know how to get it back, so am sorry if this would be better posted there, but NBA just suspended their season due to a player being infected with the virus. Imagine the NHL won't be too far behind.

There is good input there from PredsV82, a doctor who I hope will continue. I'd be surprised if there is a NHL game beginning tomorrow

just look at the forum without logging in to see OT

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I was playing around and there has been rumblings of a 24 team playoff...

upload_2020-3-15_23-35-14.png

Nashville would HOST Arizona.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
How would a playoff style gameplan with 24 starters look like? 24 -> 12 -> 6 -> 3 ???
Looks like top 4 teams from each conference get a bye so it's starts 16 ---> 16 (8 teams jump back in with byes) -> 8 ->4 -> 2

i say zero chance that happens though

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How would a playoff style gameplan with 24 starters look like? 24 -> 12 -> 6 -> 3 ???
I was thinking a 20-team one with just wildcard play-ins would make more sense. Certainly Montreal and Chicago have no business in a playoff. It does get a little dicey for the 21st team, admittedly. But you give the 12 divisional leaders a bye, then have 8 teams play-in for the 4 wildcard spots. Short play ins, best 2-of-3. So as of today, that'd be:
Boston, Tampa, Toronto - in
Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh - in
St.Louis, Colorado, Dallas - in
Vegas, Edmonton, Calgary - in

Winnipeg, Nashville, Vancouver, Minnesota playing for 2 West wildcard spots
Florida, Carolina, Columbus, NY Islanders playing for 2 East wildcard spots

I'd say only the NY Rangers are a little disserviced by this scheme... but they don't need money and weren't ever expecting to be a playoff team anyway, right? Sorry for them.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I remember raving about Leipsic and counting that as a bigger loss in the Franson/Santorelli thing than even the pick. Whups. :oops:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Congrats Millwaukee on "winning" the AHL
Well that makes sense. If the NHL still harbors some hopes of making $$$ broadcasting games in empty buildings, maybe they have a way of pulling that off. But no way does the AHL have that. So cancelling the rest just makes sense.

Congrats Ads!

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Well that makes sense. If the NHL still harbors some hopes of making $$$ broadcasting games in empty buildings, maybe they have a way of pulling that off. But no way does the AHL have that. So cancelling the rest just makes sense.

Congrats Ads!

Hate it that they wont actually be awarded the Calder Cup(but understand why).

So if the NHL does resume would you think there would be unlimited Black Aces? With the potential for injuries at different positions I dont see how they could limit the number of call ups, and in order for those callups to be in shape they'd need to be practicing with the big club to begin with.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hate it that they wont actually be awarded the Calder Cup(but understand why).

So if the NHL does resume would you think there would be unlimited Black Aces? With the potential for injuries at different positions I dont see how they could limit the number of call ups, and in order for those callups to be in shape they'd need to be practicing with the big club to begin with.
I guess that will depend on the format. If they are setting up multiple teams in one city or campus for the empty-arenas-tournament-scenario, I'd imagine they will still want to limit traffic, so probably not "unlimited black aces"? Like, you have your group of 25 or so guys, but that's it? :dunno:

Although as you say, playoff attrition is significant. Maybe teams have their Black Aces groups back home, and shuttle somebody in only if/when needed. Then you've got separate smaller groups for distancing?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I was just reading the Gudas take on the Covid situation on the main boards. Seems like he's got a pretty solid head on his shoulders. But I'm also thinking... if a lot of players are thinking that way, is the NHL wasting it's time trying to figure out a way to finish off the 2019-20 season? There's money in it for the NHL, but have a lot of the players already "moved on"?

Well it wouldn't take "a lot of players". Has even some significant minority moved on? And what would that mean for the return hopes? Is that almost a built-in way out of the potential salary cap ramifications of the pandemic impact on revenues? If I'm a millionaire player with family and comfortably back home in my native country right now, maybe I'd say you just go ahead and suspend me or terminate my contract if you think I'm coming back right now to play your little summer money-making tournament? :dunno:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
The NHL cannot just NOT resume this season in some fashion. there is too much money to be lost and a future CBA and salary cap.

sure, let the players whomever they may be say they won't play. i don't think the players want to see what their pay in the future would be without an attempt to salvage some of the lost revenue. we are talking about a sports league that already has 50% or so of its teams struggling to be profitable.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It would definitely help to see what the numbers actually are on their return to action scheme. I can't help thinking it's not very much? But who knows. I'd think with the gates already 100% lost, they're already looking down the barrel of significant unavoidable impacts in terms of salary cap, escrow, and future CBA negotiations. If the amount they are going to make back in an empty-arenas mini-tournament is just a drop in the ocean, or conversely if it's actually a decent cut of what their pre-shutdown revenues would have been, it's all in the numbers. As a concept, people are just judging on emotion right now. But all sides will need to digest the real numbers before deciding if it's truly worthwhile to them or not.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Seems like this 24 team playoff plan is seeming increasingly likely. Would have us playing the Coyotes in a play-in round if that's the case, which would be a good series. Will be incredibly interesting to see how it all plays out since after this long of a layoff it is essentially going to be like a brand new season.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
These guys could play 3v3 game and at this point I would be entertained.

With that said, I was actually thinking about this 24 team series deal last night. It would be cool to win but I just don't know if it would feel the same as winning a regular one. It certainly wouldn't be forgotten in the annals of hockey history though.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd also be really interested to know what the linkage would be between holding this and when the 20-21 season starts.

I'd rather see next season start normally with camps in September than have a contrived mini-tournament this summer, say, vs. having next season start in December.

Now if you say they aren't starting next season until December no matter what anyway, okay then, that actually makes getting something happening this summer all the more interesting.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I'd also be really interested to know what the linkage would be between holding this and when the 20-21 season starts.

I'd rather see next season start normally with camps in September than have a contrived mini-tournament this summer, say, vs. having next season start in December.

Now if you say they aren't starting next season until December no matter what anyway, okay then, that actually makes getting something happening this summer all the more interesting.

You wont have fans in the stands if the season starts in September. I think that's why this idea appeals to the league so much. They will recoup some of this years revenue via TV money and then be able to resume revenue from ticket sales with a delayed 2021 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad