Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I'll just add that every round half the players will get sent home so the 2 month quarantine would only be for the Cup finalists. Still, youd have to wonder how many player will be giving their all and how many will just coast. Maybe not full on South Park Little League, but still some deliberate lollygagging

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Bettman going to be on the TV this afternoon to announce that the 24 team format has been agreed to.

Reactions: PredsV82

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
NHL.com Media Site

NEW YORK (May 26, 2020) – The National Hockey League announced today a Return To Play Plan for the 2019-20 season, highlighted by a modified competitive format in which 24 teams will return to play and vie for the Stanley Cup at two “hub” cities beginning later this summer. The Plan also includes an outline for the return of NHL players to their Club training facilities (Phase 2) and formal training camp (Phase 3), as well as information regarding the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery.

More details in the article.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
so if I understood this correctly, if we lose to the Yotes we are in the draft lottery.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Play-in series I'm looking forward to:

TOR vs CBJ: I could see CBJ sweeping

MTL vs PIT: I think people are underestimating PIT

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I honestly wouldn't make a prediction on anything. The start will be more like the start of the season, which generally favors teams that can score more as it usually takes a bit longer for more defensive oriented teams to get in sink.

You sure as heck can't go by what you saw in the regular season because any chemistry or flow has been broken.

That also doesn't get into team personalities and injuries. We have Arvy who should be in pretty good shape now. Then there are guys like Joey who will bust ass in the playoffs but not so much the regular season. How will him being fresh and essentially being able to hit the playoffs running show up?

Just a lot of guesses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Is anybody else a little astonished by some of the HHOF inductees in recent years? Should we even care? I'm not sure I do, except it's making me think, wow, it's wide open and a few guys on our team should consider themselves legitimate HHOF candidates if they can string together a handful of good years?

I would have thought with more teams and more players it might actually raise the bar a little bit on who gets in. Instead the bar seems to be at an all-time low (or Lowe, say!)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess it's too late for the NHL to change anything about the draft lottery. But for anybody who is interested, the first part of it goes 8pm tonight.

It will be interesting if they hold this, then have to fully cancel the season afterall. :dunno: I mean, I don't see a whole lot of hoopla that has been generated in advance of tonight's drawing, right? Having this two-phased lottery before the season even resumes was supposed to grab some interest or something, but people seem to have a lot of other things to think about, and I imagine the NHL would have ended up better off just not doing it this way.

I also read an article where Carey Price indicated he thinks it's about 50/50 still that the NHLPA and NHL will be able to successfully hammer out a deal to allow the season to proceed.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Soooo....go Yotes?

Pretty ideal situation for the play in teams thats for sure. Get a chance at a run and then if you lose a 12.5% chance at the 1OA as a consolation. Definitely would be real pissed as a fan of an eliminated team.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
EDM v. CHI...can we root for a roof collapse?

Pit v Mon...HF screams rigged either way.

NYI v. FLA...don't care

CAR v NYR... either team would be a juggernaut

CGY v WPG...Alexis would be misreable on the Jets.

TML v CBJ...no Alexis on TML would be hell.

Van v MN... Please not Van

NSH v AZ...Go Preds, nuff sed.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
To me, it's reasonably clear that there are teams out there who are a notch below other teams on the competitive scale, and the draft is supposed to help them. Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey... those are examples of teams that truly need a #1 pick.

I have never bought into any conspiracy theories about rigging the draft. But it's still just a big disappointment to me that the NHL went this direction with the lottery. I guess now they can milk the 2nd drawing as being significant anyway, the audience for that is going to be a lot bigger than the audience for the first drawing was. And there's a solid chance of having a totally undeserving team walk away with the #1 pick again. Assuming they haven't actually rigged it this way, they should at least be re-considering how they do the lottery. Because this isn't the way it's supposed to work.

Well, unless we lose to the Coyotes and win the lottery, of course. If that happens, scratch all of the above, this is the best lottery format EVER. :thumbu:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I did chuckle at the wings missing out. But, it’s going to take more than one first to get Detroit competitive again. It’s nice for the fans but it won’t win them a Cup. Need a team around that first. See Edmonton.

Of course, fate may say the Quebec boy goes to Montreal. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad