Around the NHL: 2019-20 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
It's astonishing, given how NHL coaches are tossed around, that Housley was allowed to finish last season...
I can almost guarantee it had to be financial. Season was already lost, why fire him and pay him only to hire a new HC and put him as well.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Gallant wasn’t McCrimmon’s hire. Maybe he was waiting until the right time to turf him and bring his guy in. Imagine being NJ and now having Lavy and Gallant sitting there to be hired.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Our coach retention timing is so bad...we miss out on Trotz because we had just hired Housley, now Gallant and Laviolette are sitting out there and we won’t hire either because Ralph is so new in the job.
So we need Pegula to convince Ralph to move into a President of Hockey Ops position with big stacks of $$$, and hire Gallant. OR, fire Botts, give previously said fat stacks to promote Ralph to GM, then hire Gallant.

Easy peasy.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It's not a great look for the NHL, his job should've been one of the safest in the league. Gallant takes his team to the SCF in their expansion season, probably would've in their 2nd season as well if not for refs, and they're still in the thick of it in their 3rd season. What else is he supposed to do? Cure cancer?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So we need Pegula to convince Ralph to move into a President of Hockey Ops position with big stacks of $$$, and hire Gallant. OR, fire Botts, give previously said fat stacks to promote Ralph to GM, then hire Gallant.

Easy peasy.

As much as I like Gallant... Krueger is the right coach for this team right now. A shakeup in message/communication at this stage would be disruptive to what they are trying to build. And Gallant wouldn't have the magic of a bunch of castoffs to work with, and we are a ways away from having the talent needed.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Not usually one for this knee jerk type of post - but I would take Gallant over Krueger tomorrow.

I also understand why it's not possible for that to happen.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Unreal. There must be something else happening behind the scenes, otherwise this is a senseless overreaction move.

Also, i am not sure what's worse: vegas hiring DeBoer or nash. hiring Hynes. I am gonna go with hynes...
Next up, wild fire boudreau and hire gallant.
Current logic, Wild would hire Carlyle

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Yikes. His presser doesn’t inspire much confidence in this move.

Seems like an overreaction to me. McCrimmon couldn’t even explain why Gallant was fired, other than saying it was a gut feeling that is hard to explain.

I, uh, think, uh, they, uh, made, uh, a bad, hasty decision.

Reactions: Chainshot

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Unreal. There must be something else happening behind the scenes, otherwise this is a senseless overreaction move.

Also, i am not sure what's worse: vegas hiring DeBoer or nash. hiring Hynes. I am gonna go with hynes...
Next up, wild fire boudreau and hire gallant.

Ironic that you mention Bruce, until very recently my personal opinion of the top tier of coaches in the league was:
  • Trotz
  • Boudreau
  • Laviolette
  • Gallant
  • Babcock
Keefe has since replaced Babs in this list though.

Amazing that three of these guys are now available.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Easy peasy.
Marv Levy was both coach and director of football ops for a long. Bill Belichick has essentially filled the same role with the Pats. It makes a lot of sense to have the GM serving the needs of the coach.

Reactions: Sabretooth

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Ironic that you mention Bruce, until very recently my personal opinion of the top tier of coaches in the league was:
  • Trotz
  • Boudreau
  • Laviolette
  • Gallant
  • Babcock
Keefe has since replaced Babs in this list though.

Amazing that three of these guys are now available.
Having any of those guys available after Housley was canned would've had us all giddy, that's for sure. No disrespect to Ralph.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Marv Levy was both coach and director of football ops for a long. Bill Belichick has essentially filled the same role with the Pats. It makes a lot of sense to have the GM serving the needs of the coach.
Can't tell if you mean this as a joke or not but I've been having that thought for a couple weeks, firing botts, keeping kruger, letting kruger have the final say on player personnel decisions and finding a GM to execute those decisions. Would be unconventional for the NHL but not other leagues as you say. Didn't the bills hire McDermott before Beane? Browns just hired their coach and don't have a GM in place yet.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Can't tell if you mean this as a joke or not but I've been having that thought for a couple weeks, firing botts, keeping kruger, letting kruger have the final say on player personnel decisions and finding a GM to execute those decisions. Would be unconventional for the NHL but not other leagues as you say. Didn't the bills hire McDermott before Beane? Browns just hired their coach and don't have a GM in place yet.
I'm serious. Krueger said he came back because he loves to coach. The Sabres have tried similar type arrangements with Bowman and Muckler. They might have succeeded with Muckler if they hadn't run out of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad